One common thing your characters share with you?

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are the characters of your game(s) based on you? Whether it's what you want to be, what you are, or what you want to get rid of?

I feel like no matter how hard you develop your character, unless you work with other people, all your characters will have some part of your own personality.

In my case, most of my characters share one common thing which is that they are kind of silly (as pointed out by my brother, in which he actually like). :kaoswt:

RedRose190

Anna/Misty190
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel like no matter how hard you develop your character, unless you work with other people, all your characters will have some part of your own personality.
Kinda true.. especially if you are making a game for the first time, you will fall in this "trap"
In my case i always put something i personally like in one npc or character
(for example a favorite hair colour and hairstyle)
but for personality stuff i try not to make a RPG maker - Anna Game! haha

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Kinda true.. especially if you are making a game for the first time, you will fall in this "trap"
In my case i always put something i personally like in one npc or character
(for example a favorite hair colour and hairstyle)
but for personality stuff i try not to make a RPG maker - Anna Game! haha
Sometimes, I think it's not a "trap" and can be a cool concept(?)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
God . . . I hope they’re not based on me on some kind of subconscious level. Please, no . . . seriously. :hsad: The first thing I thought of was to create a Cenobite that looked really hot . . . instead of grotesque, like they usually look. The protagonist was originally a human named, Pyre, and she was left blind by her sadistic father.

A Succubus that Pyre’s father had imprisoned found Pyre, to be attractive enough to be one of her kin. The Succubus gave Pyre one of her eyes, but this angered her father, who then gave the Succubus the kind of sword she wasn’t expecting . . . Pyre, found the corpse of the kind Succubus, and took her other eye . . . the game focused on Pyre’s descent into madness, trying to live as a virtuous heroine, while struggling to subdue her Succubus instinct. I went through so many prototypes, before deciding on just making the protagonist born a ½ Succubus on Mercury, named Rosé. Pyre, was like the total opposite of Rosé . . . crying in pain because she didn’t want to sin, yet felt immense lust. I can’t be a pervert, but also not a pervert . . . at least I don’t think so . . .

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Probably yes, but I don't know.

I don't know if it is me, but I can tell that it is my ideal character I would love. If you consider that one common thing, then the answer is probably yes. But I'm definitely not like that. I'm not talking the way my characters do, I'm not reacting to the event the way my characters do. I would love to have/see someone reacting/talking that way because I can not do it.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A common thing my main protagonist share with me are my backstories from adventures in different MMO games, adapted to needs for my game.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
None of my characters are purposely based on myself and I don't find anyone them similar to me in personality nor looks. Maybe it's because I've been writing for many years, so I'm used to make different characters.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm the main character in my games. (The looks are different. The game-me is more colorful and anime. XD )

I have to be accurate in representing myself, so if I want the main character in the game to be doing something. Then I have to start putting it into practice in real life.
So I can be honest by portraying me doing that in-game. And so I can write around it properly, having experience doing the thing. (Like if I want to have the main character express that he walks for an hour every single day. Then I'll have to start doing it in real life, so that I can write that in.)

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Someone: "Wait, my OCs have different parts of my personality?"
Me, holding a plasma pistol to their back: "Always have been."

Bits and bobs of everyone's characters usually come from somewhere, whether themselves or people they've met. In a way, Raziya is like a pro wrestler's keyfabe of mine -- various bits of my personality
and memories are exaggerated, both boons and flaws.

I think the most important thing Raziya has in common with me is this weird, paradoxical personality. I've called this a "fierce compassion" before, taken from this pagan book I read. We're both deeply loving and empathetic, but we can also get moments of intense anger. Once the anger leaves, guilt or self-loathing often follows suit. In a way, Raziya's (mostly) gotten to where I wanna get already: forgiveness of others and oneself, a calm in the storm and compassion that surpasses fear and anger.

Last edited:

Azurose

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's normal for a character to become an extension of its creator, even if only in the slightest of ways. They're your creation, and came from your mind, so I think it is inevitable that in some way they'll carry a piece of you.

A few of my characters definitely take after me, and it helps me with expressing some issues I deal with too. Things like anxiety, self doubt and shyness are all traits that I end up writing about, because I like making characters that end up overcoming those issues or bettering themselves through adversity.

In a way, the characters develop in what I myself aspire to be, which ends up making my writing feel more personal to me.

Scorps

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If i create an important character they will have almost always have an aspect of me or a part of an ideal i hold dear in them. Probably because i want to like my main characters and make the side-characters somewhat likeable, including most antagonists. When i don't give an antagonist traits i value, he will often turn into a shallow 2 dimensional villain.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For playable characters, they all tend to have optimistic personalities, which I guess is shared with myself. I did try to write a main character with a very nihilistic view on the world once, but that project never got very far. I much prefer to write my characters with having a positive outlook on life, lol.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are the characters of your game(s) based on you? Whether it's what you want to be, what you are, or what you want to get rid of?

In my case, most of my characters share one common thing which is that they are kind of silly (as pointed out by my brother, in which he actually like). :kaoswt:
To answer your question: Yes the current main characters have the same personality of both my wife and me. The traits may not match though (i.e. bravery).

AbstractMan

Forever lost in the Tea Room of Despair
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh boy, I hope none of the characters in my game are like me. Most of them are terrible people on the best of days, and the main character is defined by whatever the player wants them to be. I try extremely hard to separate self and my ideologies from the characters I create, but I suppose I am not perfect. That said, I do not live in a desperate cyberpunk wasteland, so I guess that makes things a bit easier!

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
The one common thing my characters currently share with me... is being in limbo, I guess! I jump around when it comes to learning skills or getting into things in general, and a lot of my characters' info tend to end with something like "and who knows what will happen next. They don't know but the wind will carry them somewhere eventually."

I know that when I was young, my characters heavily shared the withdrawn traits I had and am trying to kick today, and I would often find myself speaking through them. Now it all depends on the subject of the project I'm working on. Is it a serious and personal project? More likely to have a lot of me in there. Is it an entertaining and fun project? More likely to stray away from incorporating myself in some way- because things that are different and new from what I know and think are a big breath of fresh air!

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To some degree, much of my characters have a particular piece of my own personality. Good or bad. Using that easily fleshes out the rest of the character since that is just an incomplete piece of a greater whole. building that character is easier because it's actually a part of you.

ryuugonana

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To a degree yes and no! When it comes to games, I base them off initially off of people I know or characters I like, and then I start riddling them with flaws! I think there's only ever been one or two characters that were heavily based off of myself!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The light has gone out of my life.

About time they finally press the kill switch button for older makers.
Sorry everyone, I am here sporadically. After 6 years of delays after delays in my life, I try to do all mat once and that means that I spread thin everywhere because it just is impossible to crunch 6 years in one or even two, but I try! I wish many of that I would already given you and put behind but... well...
I'm looking for an experienced gamer who has played a few games created with RPG Maker, who knows what an alpha build is, who may remember the old days when cliché was the favorite word on Creation Asylum, who, if a reviewer, would ask for my permission before making a review to post on YouTube, or whatever, since I will be messaging you a 10 minute, or so, DEMO based on an alpha build of Effervesce Fallacy™.
No matter how many times I listen to him, I know this is Joker speaking, but my brain can only hear Dagda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyCat