One letter not displaying, project doesn't change after saving

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been working on this project on and off for over a year, and out of nowhere, today, "W" won't display in textboxes while playing or playtesting. The font is fine. Everything else works. I've never seen this before and it's driving me insane--it's literally JUST the "W" character that isn't showing.

I tried setting up a blank area and just running a textbox with the alphabet in it to be sure that was the only thing going on, and no matter what I do playtesting the project starts me where it was starting before this happened. Saving the project doesn't make a difference--changes aren't showing in playtesting, like it's referring to an old build even though it's been overwritten with the edited file. I even tried deploying it, and the changes I make still aren't showing. They're in the project file but not in the actual game.

I'm literally losing my mind over here.

Help?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one question: did you make the mistake to deploy into your project directory?
To check, just open that directory - if there is a folder named WWW inside the project directory then yes, you messed up your playtest by deploying into the project folder.

Deployment always has to be into an output folder, never into the project folder.

1) delete the www folder from your project directory. that folder must only be in the deployed game.
2) make a new project.
3) copy the file packages.json from the new project into your old project directory, overwriting the wrong file there.

Now you should be able to playtest in your project again. If the other error is still there, come back here with more details but first you need to repair the wrong deployment.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I actually deployed it into an entirely different folder on my desktop to keep from getting anything mixed up, but we'll see if making a clean copy makes a difference.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is why it is imperative to make constant daily backups :)

Speaking from experience this is by far NOT the most unusual bug i have seen with rpg maker mv. Basically my project literally broke and would not work at all no matter what I did and I was literally pulling my hair out! I had to roll back to a much earlier backup of my project which really sucked. Now I backup daily to Dropbox after I end my development sessions. This will help with any future unexplainable bugs. Cause you can just roll back when something seems impossible to fix.

As per the situation your in now. Try creating a brand new project and copy over core files like the data files and your plugins one by one until it breaks again, if it does. You will now know what not to add to your new project. Repeat this process again after your project breaks and DON'T add anything a second time that you know breaks your project. I hope this helps. (This is what I do most of the time to fix peculiar bugs with this maker.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.
I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinbhola