Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

What is Demur?
The word Demur, meaning doubt, plays a pivotal role throughout the game. Maria, one of three survivors living in a world completely void of humans save for them, suddenly hears the cries of a child. Rushing away from safety, and ahead of both Aaron and Karin, Maria eventually not only hears, but sees the child as well. He is a small boy, frightened by the world outside. Pulled along by Maria's desire to rescue the boy, the three survivors explore the street they live on in order to find him, and bring him to safety. This game was made for the One Map Challenge, and clocks at between 45 minutes to an hour to complete.

9 Events + 1 Common Event
4 Variables
5 Switches

Characters (In order of spoken lines)

Aaron Mars:
The safehouse they are staying in was once Aaron's very own cafe, that he bought with his own money. His time serving others was cut short once an unknown apocalypse suddenly replaced most of humanity with something inhuman. He laments his lack of strength and willpower when it comes helping others. He sees a chance to remedy that when finding and giving Maria a place to stay with him and his best friend Karin. A very thoughtful young man, but one that doesn't want himself known to others.

Karin Todd:
Karin's only priorities are the safety of herself and her best friend Aaron, with Maria's well being coming in a very far second. She's more than willing to leave the fates of others to chance, if it means the two of them remain safely together. Taking in someone new wasn't her idea, but in time she may warm up to them. She has both a knack for mimicry, and picking locks, which has saved her skin a number of times since the apocalypse started.

Maria Felt:
Even though she had only known both Aaron and Karin for a few days prior to the story, she already considers them fast friends, regardless of her friend's regards towards her. Her sensitive hearing and desire to find others has caused the group to leave safety for what she thought she heard, which usually did not end up being human or friendly. However, this could be her once chance to rectify that, as she both heard and saw a small boy nearby. She would never be able to live with herself if someone on the outside were to become hurt, because of any refusal to act on her part.

Screenshots
Screeny 01.png

Screeny 02.png

Screeny 03.png

Screeny 04.png

Screeny 05.png

Screeny 06.png

Screeny 07.png

Features
- Battle system where each character has an instant use, one use skill per battle, and all other skills are equipped and usable without a HP, MP, or TP cost.
- Karin can copy and give the party the use of enemy skills via their Essence.
- Bestiary that gives insight on what skill they give you + their stats, drops, and weaknesses.
- Over 30 enemies.
- Custom Main and Battle Menus/Layouts.
- No default RPG Maker graphics, music, or sound effects.
- Rain...lots of rain.

Download
Download The Game Here!

Credits (Besides everyone's favorite Maker)
Graphics by:
Visustella
Tyler Warren
Vexed Enigma
Ails
Jason Perry
KakonComp

Music and Sound by:
KakonComp
Joel Steudler

Plugins by:
Visustella
Yanfly
Moghunter
HimeWorks
Mr. Trivel
KakonComp
Irina
SumRndmDde
Atreyo Ray
Maliki79

Last edited:

sy020

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whoah, this look sick!! :kaoback:

I'm def adding this to my backlog!

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks Sy, I hope you enjoy it!

I'm posting this to let any potential downloaders know that the previous file would fail to load the images needed to enter the Skill scene, so I updated the download to a working version. You can't save the game unless you use Maria's Logbook skill, so with the new download you can now view skills, the bestiary, and save your game!

I apologize for the inconvenience; if you downloaded the game prior to this message, please re-download the game via the edited link above in the Download section. To anyone else, the current download should have no more game-breaking issues.

Had to change how the Luna Engine read my skill types.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try it out, and beat hte 1 map challenge for you :)

2 tiny bugs I found and stuck on how to save the child, (dextery 6/10) to open the crates,
need 8 for the other one.

1 minor bug top left map, where you can walk into the wall,
2, in the bestiary you can select ???? but ones you select the enemy encounter,
it show the stats, but when you go back to the ??? the previous enemiy stays untill
a new enemy encount is visible.

nice challenge, but I cant figure where to go D:.

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for trying my game @ShadowDragon!

The passability issue has been fixed, was a simple O under the window that should have been an X.

The Bestiary one is what I think was by design; I'd have to fiddle with the plugin I used if I wanted to change it.

As for the Dexterity, it's a stat used in Karin's lockpicking ability, which can be increased by a few Essences you can get in the game using Karin's Copy ability. Admittedly it's only 4 enemies out of 30 right now that give a sizable Dexterity boost, so I've updated the download to add 5 more enemies that give a Dexterity boost in their Essence.

Basically Karin starts out with 6 Dexterity, and needs 4 more to unlock the highest chest, which is gained from equipping Essences that have the stat boost. One of those two contains the key to continue the story.

I'd advise those that want to practically eliminate the grinding chance of what enemy shows up by getting the updated download, although as it was, outfitting the entire party should still give you enough of the Dex increasing Essences to continue to the game's Boss battle.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
couldn't find much info on the essence part, I killed around 10-12 enemies before party whiped out.
but now you explained a bit more on the essence use, I re-download and give it another try,
report back when I menance to beat it.

story is nice though.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Using Karin's Copy in battle is paramount to gaining stats, as equipment (The Essences) are the only way to get stronger and learn Arts.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't learn any arts, but copy did the trick, there is however 1 typo I found after you
found the kid, Aaron say, Karen, instead of Karin, furthermore, nicely done.

but maybe something, if you use the copy skill, you cant escape battle?
which makes it very easy to obtain essence, copy -> escape -> repeat.

for graphic, gameplay, and battle which is nicely done, you dont a pretty nice job =).
I enjoy it.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for finding the typo, in regards to the stat gains and learning Arts, you have to equip the Essences you get from Karin's ability in the Equipment Menu.

Also yeah you don't have to kill enemies to get their skills if you back out to the Fight/Escape menu and run away, but the items they drop could be vital for survival, especially things like Barome and the Tone Tonics if the Boss decides to use a lot of party wide attacks. It's up to the player.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
he didn't use AoE attack, I dont know if he has any, but personally,
copy -> escape battle should be avoided, or
copy -> escape -> lose copy items.

so the game is more challenging in my opinion.
I dont know if you extend this game further more or in a differen directions. for a bigger
adventure and more maps to solve problems, save peoples from monsters etc.

I dont know if you have plans for that, but I like the UI as well. keep up the nice work :)

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi @KakonComp!

I finished the game. I really liked it. I liked the battle system and the idea of collecting monster essence to learn skills and boost stats.
It took me a while to realise that I was supposed to equip them though lol. :kaoswt2:
I liked the story, map and the design of the final boss as well.

Good job on the game! :LZYcool::thumbsup-right:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for playing @dreamfall887!

I'm so used to doing the "Essence" mechanic so much in my projects that it's second nature to me, but you're not the only one who didn't know right away to equip them, so I should probably let the player know when they're talking about their skills :LZSwink:

Current project also has the main character equip skills like normal equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I'm having issues with my steam account... so I can't use MZ right now, so I can't work on my game until its solved, so it be harder to be ready for 31... guess I'll get ice cream :kaopride:
Motivation! Inspiration! There you are. I was worried you guys weren't going to show up today. Let's get this thing going!
Made these new little isles yesterday, to test my new tiles. Guess they're look pretty chill...
Are your bodies ready for spoopy? 0 w0
Made a lot of progression today with my next chapter. It helps that I wrote an outline of what will happen. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProtoPropski