Espurr21

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
aBOrvPv.png

Welcome everyone, to the ongoing One Map Game Challenge!

First of all, this isn't a contest. There are no deadlines, there is no judging, or voting. This is just a challenge. You can tackle this whenever you want, or not tackle it at all!

So, one thing I've found a lot of people have problems with is finishing games. But why? Why do they have trouble finishing? Well, the truth is, it is two things: 1. It is a whole lot easier to say than to do, and 2. They try to make a sprawling epic from the start.

Ok, I can't stop #1. But what we can look at is #2. A big thanks to @SmashArt and @hiddenone for a discussion in the status feed a while back, because this is based around a challenge they created for themselves to try to stop the Sprawl.

Make a game. You can only use 1 map. You get only 10 events (total, combining map and common), 10 variables, and 10 switches.

Plugins are allowed, but no plugins that are designed to work around these restrictions. Allowed engine: RPG Maker 2k/2k3/XP/VX/VX Ace/MV/MZ.

And remember, stick to the spirit of the rules: No simulating multiple maps using complicated tileset switching or other such tricks. Events will of course probably have to do double and triple duty, but keep it to a minimum. The point is to not sprawl and to keep your story and game tight.

There are no other rules. That is it. Finish whenever you want to, post it in the completed games section of the forums and then link it in the submission thread.

All people who complete the challenge will be rewarded with an event-badge to celebrate their participation! And who knows, I might share a few of my favorites on our social media!
looks interesting, love the challenge!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Espurr21 I can't speak enough positive about this challenge. The only two games I've finished in RM have been for this challenge.

Cuprite

Previously Golden
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I saw someone asked about this in here before, but they didn't seem to get an answer, so question: Are we allowed to use plugins that let events activate other events' self-switches (I.E.: Event 1 turns Event 2's SS-A on)? Wanted to ask about this before I did anything cause I have an idea for this but I'm not 100% certain if it'd be doable (Probably would be, but idk). It's fine if I can't, but it's definitely a good idea to ask beforehand. Lol.
Figured doing one of these before going onto my main project fr would be a good idea. Warm-up n' stuff.

On another note, is using a picture of the map with different tiles in a location to simulate a time-shift in a cutscene cheating? I don't think it would be, cause it isn't another map both technically and literally speaking (Literally just "Here's what the this map looked like 10 years ago" to add a bit of extra context to the game's lore), but I figured I'd ask just in case.
Really hope this is allowed because the effect turned out really nice, and I wanna use it so badly. Lol.

Last edited:

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 …Alright. Some basic ideas for stuff happened a couple of days ago, I have a ready-made boss fight after the BBBB (which can be reskinned and tweaked as necessary), I’ve done some event shenaniganry to see if I could pull it off (which, apparently, I can), and I have a basic map put together for prototyping.

Let’s do this.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cuprite - Does this help?
Plugins are allowed, but no plugins that are designed to work around these restrictions.
I feel like it should be cool as long as there are still only 10 switches total, rather than in addition.

For your time-shift idea, that might be stretching it but that's just my opinion. My thought behind that is, to the player, it would be the same effect as if you transferred the player to the same location of another map.

@AssumedPseudonym
That was the No Map Challenge. hee-hee

Last edited:

Cuprite

Previously Golden
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Cuprite - Does this help?

I feel like it should be cool as long as there are still only 10 switches total, rather than in addition.

For your time-shift idea, that might be stretching it but that's just my opinion. My thought behind that is, to the player, it would be the same effect as if you transferred the player to the same location of another map.

@AssumedPseudonym
That was the No Map Challenge. hee-hee
Tbf, with the pictures, it does have a different look than if the player was simply transferred from another map. The before images have no animation whatsoever and it can actually fade from those images to an animated overworld which, afaik, can't be done via map transfer. Honestly looks way nicer than any map transition would have imo. Lol.
This is the only thing I've fully decided on wanting that I have no idea if it'd be considered "Cheating" or not. I could see it easily going either way. .-.
But ye, I wanted to get other people's opinion on that before I got too far with the project. Idk.

(Also, I ultimately decided against the self-switch plugin. It felt kinda cheat-y. I also considered using Hidden Items for stuff but that's even more cheat-y since it's basically exactly what Switches are. Lmao)

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cuprite - I think you made a good call on the plugin but your map idea could be okay. I really don't know. Even if it can't be used for the One Map Challenge, I'd love to see what you come up with if you use the time shifting in another project! :)

Cuprite

Previously Golden
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Cuprite - I think you made a good call on the plugin but your map idea could be okay. I really don't know. Even if it can't be used for the One Map Challenge, I'd love to see what you come up with if you use the time shifting in another project! :)
Ye, agreed tbh. Lol.
Also, the time shift thing literally only happens in the opening cutscene. Lol.
(I'm also realizing that the switch limit will prevent something I wanted, so RIP any form of non-linearity. Lol)
(Also probably getting a bit too ambitious for this challenge, but I wouldn't have had the idea in the first place if not for this challenge, so idk)

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
OK. I'm totally doing this challenge this week!
But... could you make more of these challenges...?
It seems I'm not the only one that works best with limitations.

(By the way, I already started in my head a plan B in case you haven't posted any more challenges or don't want to make more for the moment... I'll make some myself!)

Last edited:

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK. I'm totally doing this challenge this week!
But... could you make more of these challenges...?
It seems I'm not the only one that works best with limitations.

(By the way, I already started in my head a plan B in case you haven't posted any more challenges or don't want to make more for the moment... I'll make some myself!)
That sounds like a great idea. I think last year they did a challenge where the game had to only take place in one town due to Covid. I think they should bring that one back.

A fun one I thought of was would be the "One Battle Challenge". Where the game could only have one battle and the game's mechanics and the story should have the fight at the center of the game.

Ragnaylva

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English/German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to upload a game file instead of a game link?
Sorry but I don't know how to upload a game to the internet yet...
:kaoswt2:

IronStakes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I poked around and found that a lot of people upload games to itch.io so that's what I did. Dropbox is also an option, but I think there's a cap for the number of projects and then you have to dig out your wallet. I'm not at all sure about the details of games that are playable in browsers, and there is some black magic people do for mobile games that I am unaquainted with. I'm fairly new to all this but I'm sure there are other ways to upload games :)

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
One map game challenge..ok I'm back and I'm in

Ragnaylva

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English/German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I poked around and found that a lot of people upload games to itch.io so that's what I did. Dropbox is also an option, but I think there's a cap for the number of projects and then you have to dig out your wallet. I'm not at all sure about the details of games that are playable in browsers, and there is some black magic people do for mobile games that I am unaquainted with. I'm fairly new to all this but I'm sure there are other ways to upload games :)
Thank you heaps! I'll go suss it out.

DrWho42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
good luck challengers!

RivalRamen_Games

Dimensional Drifter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This seems like a fun challenge! So here's my kinda-pitch:

Graveyard Shift
Synopsis

You are Jacob Robins, a college-age boy who lives in a modern world with RPG creatures and logic (Magic exists, especially necromancy, and there are magic shops as common as a 7-11. There are also monsters such as zombies, spider-people, goblins... Basically a fantasy RPG set in the modern era, and the other races and species are like other races in our world.). You currently work at Necromart, a convenience store dedicated to the dark arts of necromancy. In the morning, it's Posimart, a convenience store dedicated to the light arts of Positive manipulation... and it was the only place that would hire you that fits your hectic schedule, what with exams and studying and all. But it's going to be temporary... Right?

My Plans
I'm planning on making the one map the store itself, and you'll serve about 3 to 5 customers, including a vampire looking for a quick snack, a necromancy student looking for something to energize her for exams, and a random guy who just wants a sandwich.

5 of the events will be things on the shelves that you lead customers to, and the rest of the events and switches will be dedicated to customers and/or flavor text.

The characters won't be as developed as I'd like them to be, but if you guys enjoy it, I'll try to make a fuller version. It will take me a while, though, due to my limited access to RPG Maker right now. And by a while, I mean probably by summer/fall/winter of 2022/2023...

It's sorta inspired by @hiddenone 's Reincarnation Assistant in which you serve people in a fantasy-like setting.

Tell me if this sounds like a good idea or if someone already did something like this, because if someone already did something like this, then I'm sorry, I'll try to think of something else.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have you ever had the problem of not knowing how to name your game?
I tried to draw it to keep the aspect ratio of 48*48
It doesn't look good, but I'm not sure if there are other ways to render larger characters. and then maintain the sharpness or not
SF_Enemy1_6 added!
index.php

Just thought I'd share how my battlers are looking for my 4 main characters. From left to right... Ashlyn the brave fighter, Lizzabelle the peaceful mage, Suki the thief, Saedra the not-so-peaceful mage.

pLZHVLI.png
Power to the Game Make!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmectaMyLife