Event One Map Game Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Touchfuzzy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. GeraldTyler

GeraldTyler Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh cool I just saw this. I will be more than happy to work on something this week.

Quick question...would it be permissible for me to include a "Dream/Hallucination cutscene" on a different map or using a tileset switch? Something completely uninteractable of course, just pressing the button to go through some text.

Also may I assume that another map may be used purely for an opening and closing cutscene (Such as a panning view of the world with some info dump) as long as the actual gameplay itself takes place on only one map?

If not that's cool just let me know.

Also what if I'm in a "Village" map, and as I enter a house the tile switched to allow a seamless entry into that house, as in simply removing the roof layer, would that be allowable? The map itself would be the same dimensions, so it wouldn't be affecting the gameplay it would just look better as the player goes from place to place (Again, all in the same map)

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Project CROSS

Project CROSS RGSS2 User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    post your questions in the link below, regarding the challenge's rules. And nope, 1 map and its all we got. I think tile switching is possible... i dunno. But not a bad idea.

Roof layer is an even more cool idea. Just to note, if its a cosmetic event it still counts in the 10 events limit.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/one-map-game-challenge.94392/

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This looks fun yet I'm quite busy these months. I prolly going to do this at veeeerryyy late _:3

4. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @GeraldTyler I moved your post and @Project CROSS's answer to yours to the correct thread.
    And as you can read from the first post, you are only allowed one map and tile switching isn't allowed.

Project CROSS and GeraldTyler like this.
  5. GeraldTyler

GeraldTyler Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for moving it for me.

Technically he said no simulating "multiple" maps using "complicated" tile switching. The village thing would still be the same map, just the "Roofing" tiles of a building would become transparent when the building is entered. So the actual gameplay element wouldn't be affected. The same function could be achieved by simply having them all transparent birdseye view by default it just wouldn't look as good, but that's fine.

Though I suppose it's par for the course that any time there is a challenge such as this "Creative" solutions will become a bit of a grey area. I'll just enjoy the challenge according to my understanding of the rules (It will be one map, no tile switching) so I can get some experience and growth in. If I wind up slightly crossing the line, then threes always the next challenge to look forward to. All in good fun right?

Been brainstorming it all night. I look forward to sharing the final product with you all

Marquise* likes this.
  6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm just going to interject a bit of opinion here for a moment. I feel like some of you are missing the spirit of this challenge.

It's not a contest to win a prize and if you mess up a technical detail, you lose.
    It's not a school assignment to pass or fail.
    Consequently, it's not something to find ways to cheat around the rules.

It's a challenge, pure and simple. It's meant as a motivator to challenge yourself to complete something. So many of us have big ideas and never complete a game. That's all it's here for. The rules are simply meant to help you keep the scope of your game in check, so that you can finish it. It's that simple.

If you find yourself wanting to make a game with 12 events and 3 maps, make a game with 12 events and 3 maps. No one is stopping you. Challenge yourself and finish. Would it qualify to get the badge or be posted in the submissions thread? No. But if it's the game you want to make and you can finish it, then go for it. Make it your own personal challenge.

But if you want to make an entry for this challenge so you can get a badge, then stick with the parameters of this event, and do so in a way that you don't have to ask if it follows the rules or not. The rules are pretty clear and easy to understand and if you feel you need to stretch the rules to make your idea happen, rethink your idea a bit or find a creative way within the clear rules to make it happen.

This isn't aimed at anyone specific, so please don't assume it is. It's just something that I've observed reading through the posts in this thread and wanted to give you guys something to think about, hopefully.

Guiguimu, Eurritimia, eslabon and 8 others like this.
  7. Shadoux

Shadoux Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like this idea short and sweet, something to break up making a larger title.

Marquise* and Project CROSS like this.
  8. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I took some time to play through the last week submissions today.
    I feel like everyone came up with some interesting and various games or gameplays.
    Since they're all relativly short it's actually quite fun to try them.

9. Project CROSS

Project CROSS RGSS2 User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Thanks to this event, I now enjoyed making and playing short rpg maker games. :thumbsup-right:

10. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is something to be said about short and sweet. That's for sure. Also, making something short feels like a break from the longer projects.

11. aarn321

aarn321 Space Bunny Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This contest is RIGHT up my ally, I prefer making shorts with hour long maximum gameplay (mainly for my YT channel) anyways; given my autism which comes with it high ADHD and an overactive ever shifting imagination. I should get something out within a day or so. Wondering if multiple entries are allowed.

12. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just saw this thread. Can't believe I missed it. Challenge accepted.

13. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just found this., and have to say it's an amazing idea.

I love these kind of mini-challenges that are designed to be completed within a day (or maybe more realistically within a few days) if you're fast. Perfect thing to tackle during the weekend or while you're on vacation. Like most, I feel the grind and stagnation of my main project which never seems to be any closer to being finished, progress is so slow it's painful sometimes.

I guess that's when you can take a break and do this challenge, get some new energy and afterwards use that momentum to push forward on your main project (or start one if you currently don't have one).

I'd like to do this very much. I guess I'll look though my list of old ideas and concepts if I have something that might work with this challenge. What always takes me the longest time is usually just deciding on a "good" idea what I'm comfortable to work with so if I can't find something I've thought up before... I'll probably delay this challenge to when I just so happen to come up with such an idea.

14. scitydreamer

scitydreamer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I'm trying to do a story game within this one room, with a whole buncha conditional branches. This is meant to be a sequel to my thing called Fishing Minigame, which is a thing I challenged myself to make in Visual Novel Maker back when that trial period was going.

Advancing the game involves entering passwords and a bunch of them just gives alternative endings (mainly bc using switches/variables would definitely go past the maximum). I'm aware that somebody might just try to get the passwords in advance, but I'm trying to work off the honor system of Virtue's Last Reward of hoping that nobody does that.

starlight dream and Marquise* like this.
  15. Invenblocker

Invenblocker Villager Member

First Language:
    Danish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How much is the "reasonable limit" for pulling multi-duty on the same event?

I consider having a single event that acts as a town event, which another event will teleport to the player's position whenever they reach a town tile, so that this event can simulate all of the game's towns (Which are really just dialogue trees where the player can do small things like visitting an inn or a shop).

Would that be considered within the spirit of the challenge?

Dreadshadow likes this.
  16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That would be fine imo.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  17. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And my contribution is ready. It will need a little text proofing, so I will update the file when I come back from the trip I plan to do, but you can check what it is all about now.
    I found that a little softcore for my taste so here are the restrictions I followed:

Used only:
    • 1 Event
    • 1 Variable
    • 1 tileset
    • 1 picture file on the tileset
    • 1 actor
    • 1 class
    • 1 music piece (and split in two parts)
    • 1 sound FX
    • 1 map

Marsigne, Dalph, Marquise* and 3 others like this.
  18. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Dreadshadow Woah it seems you are good at working with less :)

19. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would like to participate, but I don't know T-T .....I want to try....I will try...
    Going to use an old game I dropped and was tring to make a sprawl length and turn it into this short challenege!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Marquise*, Guiguimu, Mirpono and 2 others like this.
  20. FralKritic

FralKritic Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do have one question, do empty door events count? not as a way around the rules, but for the game aesthetic of not having empty walls, or do I have to add them to my tileset?
    Thanks guys! Love this challenge to by the way!! My game is completed but I am revamping my map real quick! :D