RMMV One of my Project's System

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Elliott404, May 12, 2019.

1. Elliott404

Elliott404 RookieGameDev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello. I just wanted to gain some feedbacks for one of my project's system: Cooking System. Since I dislike stuff like potions, elixirs, etc., I thought it'd be better idea to cook some real food as healing items. The system idea is inspired by Star Ocean the 2nd Story (But better!:kaopride:). PS.: My project is far from being half way done, so please don't expect much.

Thank you

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    atoms and LycanDiva like this.
  2. Knighteriius

Knighteriius The Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In jRPGS cooking is an (almost) mandatory function for any team of misfits, the design is sleek, and makes sense. Would be cool if you could make wild concoctions that may or may not have health benefits but I appreciate that the variability in that would go through the roof and I don't expect that from an RPG maker game. I like it though, very Tales of kind of vibes. I was thinking it was going to be a minigame like in fantasy life but honestly the simplicity is key here as it allows for fast batch making and the like. Seems good to me, love me a ham sandwich.

Elliott404 likes this.
  3. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The current version is incomplete. I'm planning to polish it further if possible.
    If only the space was enough, that'd be possible as an extra feature :LZSlol:
    I thought I could at least make it a little realistic in sense of serving sizes.

Knighteriius likes this.
  4. Knighteriius

Knighteriius The Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You have it say that the recipe is a favourite by the two characters, but it would be nice to know what properties the food has, like if it gives a status buff or a heal. Will that ever be included on say another page but only once they have created the item at least once? Another aspect that could be interesting is if you could choose who cooks the meal, and depending on who cooks it you could have certain buffs like if the guy does it, strength is boosted for a certain amount of time or if the girl cooks it magic is boosted. Otherwise it's pretty good. Will be nice to see how you polish it, or how other people think it can improve.

Elliott404 likes this.
  5. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The favourite part indicates which item will heal actor's both HP and MP. Lets say the ham sandwich will heal both of the shown actors 90% of their HP and MP, while the rest of the actors, lets say 40% HP only.
    Tbh, I was thinking a similar feature, if I could include a cooking skill level for each actor. Thank you for your feedback :kaoblush:

Knighteriius likes this.
  6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was a huge fan of Item Creation (and Cooking in particular) in Star Ocean: The Second Story, but from what I can gather from the video, your system is nothing like it, and is more akin to the "gather the items" format of Cooking you see in most other JRPGs, most notably the Tales Of series.

And this system you've chosen is perfectly fine, it's just that I really liked a few things about SO2's system: the way that the Cooking skill (and other Item Creation skills) came from basic skills (like Recipe and Kitchen Knife) that increased your stats, the way that each character could have a different skill at cooking (and in later Star Oceans had different sets of items they could create), and the random factor that made every Item Creation attempt really exciting (would your Meat turn into useless Spoiled Sashimi, or wonderful Baby Rabbit Au Gratin?).

Since it sounds like you are forgoing the normal healing potions, elixirs, etc. that make up the party's "staple" recovery supply, make sure that players will be able to gather enough supplies to cook enough dishes to sustain themselves in dungeons and in combat. So for example, if a dish like the one in the video requires 2 copies of 5 different ingredients to cook, then make sure players find (or can buy) ten ingredients for every time you think they'll need healing from an item. It's a tough balance to hit and if anything it's good to err on the generous side.

Elliott404 likes this.
  7. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wavelength
    Is that so. Since SO2 is the only game with a cooking system I've played, I don't know how other games work (I hated the guess what dish game so much, I still have grudge against that wasted premium beef lol)
    And yes, I am making sure the items for each recipe are easy to obtain in a shop. Plus, I have limited the item's maximum, so the player can have variety of dishes.

8. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yep! Like @Knighteriius mentioned this type of system seems almost ubiquitous in the world of JRPGs. Your current setup is a pretty good facsimile of what you'd see in a lot of professional JRPGs, particularly the "throwback"-style ones.

I loved the randomness and unpredictability because it meant that the system amounted to something to something more than "fetch ingredients, click through menu". It's definitely just a personal taste of mine, though, and not a widespread opinion. I think a lot of people probably think the same as you.

Elliott404 likes this.
  9. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wavelength
    At least what saved the SO2 are the healing berries lol.
    Thank you very much for your feedback! I'll try my best for the next update!:kaoblush:

It'll definitely take some time

10. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404, I use Yanfly's item synthesis for crafing system. I decided to separate between creating foods and potions. Foods increase stats and hard to craft. While, potions and antidoses are easy to craft because it is necessary.
    Tips: look at real life recipes.

11. LycanDiva

LycanDiva Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That looks interesting...and so much better than Mabinogi's cooking system too! I think that it would be cool if you had a little animation playing with your progress bar, like a bowl being stirred or a pot boiling or sandwich fixings being piled on, to visually enhance the experience and/or a little "ding" sound like a kitchen timer when the food is done. A little dash of visual or auditory embellishment can go a long way to improve game-feel.

Elliott404 likes this.
  12. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought about that too.
    I am still at the beginning of starting the real project, so it's gonna be a long time before I can ask my scripter for an upgrade.

13. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404 I like it, but to me having a bar fill up to 100% is a little odd. If I had to do a lot of cooking I'd find that a bit off-putting over time, however, because it fills up fast. I would see it a minor nitpick and probably still enjoy using that feature overall.

That may just be my opinion, but otherwise, very nice! : )

14. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms
    Thank you for your feedback. Like I've said, the system is incomplete, I will ask the scripter about it if he's not busy.