Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Huh. Never thought I'd use this place.

So here's the thing - while in the middle of making my main project, I've gotten the urge to make a much more small-scale side game. It's called One Slice Hero and while I don't have names laid out, here's the basic premise and ideas:

You play as the titular medieval knight destined to save the world, but with a twist - you can defeat literally anything with a single cut. It does max damage and nothing resists it. Well, nothing corporeal anyway.

As strong as he is, he has quite a few problems: only two HP, no sense of style and the respect of absolutely nobody but his best friend.

--

Gameplay ideas:

* The titular One Slice Hero does indeed have an attack that nukes any enemy in the game regardless of stats, but he falls just as quickly too.
- Multi-hit moves pierce through his sturdy (aka. surviving a lethal attack at 1 HP) as do mobs of enemies ganging up on him since his ultimate attack is one-hit only. Also, it can't hit ghost-type enemies. It can also be sealed, forcing him to use less powerful methods of attack.

* To compensate, his team members are basically glorified support roles that let him survive long enough to activate the win condition. (Though to be fair, they can fight on their own terms)

* Zelda style overworld puzzles much like the main game I'm making.

* Short, simple to understand story, but talking to your friends can invoke special sidequests that let you get to know them a bit more.

--

Oh and to top it off, I plan for the game to have a sort of Gameboy Color aesthetic like the Zelda Oracle games / Link's Awakening. (Not only because it's easier on me in terms of actually making assets but also because I love the visual style of those games a lot.)

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update:

More than half a year later and more game dev experience under my belt, I've vastly improved the initial idea for One Slice Hero.

For starters I have an actual title and a defined setting: the magical world of Ephemera, full of beastmen, explorers and all sorts of weird, dangerous areas beyond human comprehension.

The main character's name is Gamma and he's been changed from a knight to a regular country boy (barring his extraordinary blade power) that wants to become an adventurer, so he's trying hard to fulfill that dream.

The greatest hook I have is that he has to work hard as hell to reach his full potential, as he initially starts quite weak and unskilled despite his incredible instant-kill sword power. (This comes in the form of upgrades)

This is also an isekai story: Gamma isn't actually a native of this world, and he'll encounter other such people who were teleported in. Though his case is a bit more special since he was actually killed and reincarnated in, having spent most of his time under an adoptive mother of sorts.

I've already established a cast of playable characters, one of which is one of those lucky Kirito-esque overpowered video game nerds with the harem and all. He will be Gamma's rival.

So this got me thinking:

What isekai tropes could I play around with? There really is nothing stopping me from writing a good story on my own but I very explicitly want to have fun with tropes.

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
Woah, this is eerily similar to a concept I'm working on currently.

Really hoping to see how your game progresses!

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Woah, this is eerily similar to a concept I'm working on currently.

Really hoping to see how your game progresses!
Eerily similar, huh? I'm curious as to what you mean, since I know the isekai thing is hot right now among people.

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
I have a MC with a spell that kills everything in 1 hit, including bosses. But it targets a random enemy, and requires a few turns to charge and is interrupted by any form of damage. The other characters are there to draw aggro, stun the enemy etc to let MC cast the spell.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slice makes me think of pie, so the first time I saw this title, I was like, "Wow, a baking game!" :biggrin: Uh, anyway...

The main character's name is Gamma and he's been changed from a knight to a regular country boy (barring his extraordinary blade power) that wants to become an adventurer, so he's trying hard to fulfill that dream.

The greatest hook I have is that he has to work hard as hell to reach his full potential, as he initially starts quite weak and unskilled despite his incredible instant-kill sword power. (This comes in the form of upgrades)
I like this angle, but just to clarify: is Gamma's one-hit KO power due to his sword, or due to some kinda innate ability he has? Because I like the former idea a lot, that there's this cocky boy who's like, "Yo, I have a magic sword that can kill anything in one hit, I'm the boss!" And then he gets his butt handed to him because of paralysis darts or whatever. :biggrin:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Slice makes me think of pie, so the first time I saw this title, I was like, "Wow, a baking game!" :biggrin: Uh, anyway...
I needed that laugh. And thanks for checking out the thread. :LZSproud:

The new title is God Blade Hero since it's both snappier and isn't an almost ripoff from One Punch Man.

Also because it has Gameboy color aesthetics, its like... God Blade (Game Boy :kaopride:)

I like this angle, but just to clarify: is Gamma's one-hit KO power due to his sword, or due to some kinda innate ability he has? Because I like the former idea a lot, that there's this cocky boy who's like, "Yo, I have a magic sword that can kill anything in one hit, I'm the boss!" And then he gets his butt handed to him because of paralysis darts or whatever. :biggrin:
It's not the sword, it's an innate power of his.

Any bladed weapon he gets can get supercharged. So yeah, a teeny thief dagger can cleave through iron in his hands.

The better the sword, the stronger it is.

Also it's not just swords, it also applies to axes, lances and even arrows after a while.

But he actually has to be holding said bladed weapon for it to work at first. Anybody smacks it out of his hands or his arms are disabled he's out of luck.

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I needed that laugh. And thanks for checking out the thread. :LZSproud:

The new title is God Blade Hero since it's both snappier and isn't an almost ripoff from One Punch Man.

Also because since has Gameboy color aesthetics, its like... God Blade (Game Boy :kaopride:)
Oh, yay! A much better title! Also, GB aesthetics extra yay! Can't wait for screenshots! :biggrin:

It's not the sword, it's an innate power of his.

Any bladed weapon he gets can get supercharged. So yeah, a teeny thief dagger can cleave through iron in his hands.

The better the sword, the stronger it is.

Also it's not just swords, it also applies to axes, lances and even arrows after a while.

But he actually has to be holding said bladed weapon for it to work at first. Anybody smacks it out of his hands or his arms are disabled he's out of luck.
Oh, okay. I'm in favour of the sword idea, but I guess you can make the innate ability angle work, too. Have you thought about why he's got it?

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, yay! A much better title! Also, GB aesthetics extra yay! Can't wait for screenshots! :biggrin:
Technically the aesthetic was never new. It's in the opening post.

That said, thank you. :)

Oh, okay. I'm in favour of the sword idea, but I guess you can make the innate ability angle work, too. Have you thought about why he's got it?
Hmm. I don't want to spoil too much but the basic idea is that his past life was... a higher being than most.

He was reincarnated to mortal form, but still kept at least some of his power. Hence the title and why he was adopted.

He's also not the only person like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!
A skill type called: "Rumagic". The intention is Magic with Rum(that pirates drink)
Does it sound strange in English?
So I'm having issues with my steam account... so I can't use MZ right now, so I can't work on my game until its solved, so it be harder to be ready for 31... guess I'll get ice cream :kaopride:
Motivation! Inspiration! There you are. I was worried you guys weren't going to show up today. Let's get this thing going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sark1017