Oneirophrenia

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Quigon, Oct 23, 2012.

1. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks commercial quality, Gorlami. Keep that up, bro.

2. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks awesome as always. Can't wait to play, when can we expect the demo?

3. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

@Goatrider - the demo might still be a little bit yet. Got an awful lot of mapping to do (i.e a full national park, hoboy).

4. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Agh I know what that's like I'm mapping the capital city 4 my game right now, it's tedious stuff! Keep Up the good work. I look forward to it.

5. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer

First Language:
    English
    I gotta say, those are some sweet, sweet looking maps. Very nice job there!

6. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! I'm gonna get on some mapping today so I can get some updated screen shots and whatnot.

7. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Huzzah, new intro maps! Sprites are temporary at the moment.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. seita

seita Donn_M

First Language:
    English
    I really have to ask about your parallaxed/overlayed water. Is it animated? If it is, how did you go about it? Are you animating the overlays by having them rotate between different ones or is it using the autotile?

9. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    I'm using Modern Algebra's animated parallax script, and making three versions of each map with water using a different tile to animate it :)

10. seita

seita Donn_M

First Language:
    English
    I see! that's interesting. I'm finally in a forest location in YANTH that requires more fluidity in the map, and I love how yours looks so I'm learning a lot looking at the techniques you're using. That sounds like a lot of work. How is the file size for you?

11. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Lulz, file size gets to be a bit of a problem. I could probably rectify it and just cycle through pictures of just the water instead of full maps, or use the map as a picture and overlay an autotile underneath it, but to be honest it's pretty simple just using MA's script. Most people don't mind too much about file size now anyway, at least as far as I can tell.

12. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    ...annnnd I finally updated the OP. I've said I'll try and push for a demo for the 20th of July, so we'll see how that goes.

13. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Phew, heavy day today~

First up, I'd like to share with you all the very very very beta version of the introductory cutscene. I say very very very beta because all the scenes are done but there're a few things still to muck around with - namely some of the timings, it needs a bucket load of sprite poses (especially for when he's staggering around in that alleyway) instead of balloons, and I'll probably use fire animations instead of the RTP ones near the end. Speaking of, I dunno why they're not animating in the final map which kinda ruins the entire thing but I just wanted to let you all see what I've been working on all day :| IT HAS A BUM IN IT. But yeah, this is the general framework of the intro. It doesn't play right off the bat selecting new game either by the way, there's a bit of a playable scene beforehand, but the internet here isn't too good for loading up longer videos. Hope you like this, it'll almost certainly be changed~

(Youtube messed up the audio pretty bad, sorry for crackly bass, the actual song is fine!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W88WI_1F87M&feature=youtu.be

Other good news, say hello to Victor~ just two more sexy ladies to go now and we're gonna have a full cast all done up and awesome. Thanks again to Ronove~

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
    RyanA and Lunarea like this.
  14. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Staff Member

Very Silent-Hill-like. It definitely shows that so much effort went into this. And the music fits perfectly. :thumbsup-right:

Keep at it. :D

15. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat

First Language:
    English
    That video has sexy tiems everywhere owo

16. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! Yeah, on looking at it again I think the main things I need to fix are the flames at the end and make it a bit more clear ol' Dory's been drinking. I sprited a bottle in his hand but it's a little dark to see it in the alleyway.

Oh yeah, I actually surprised myself xD

17. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Alright, I need some advice.

Here's where I'm at. I've been scouring the ends of the internet for an ABS that'll fit all of my needs, and such a dream-like script does not exist. I had been flitting with the idea of having no encounters in this game for a while, like a seriously long time - it would be different, and exciting to try out. Rather than encounters, or using an ABS, if there were going to be enemies I was intending on eliminating them through puzzles, running away and hiding so they leave you alone, or simply just throwing a punch on them and fleeing for your life while they're stunned.

I think I quite still want to do this, after getting absolutely nowhere with any ABS. What would you guys think?

The Stranger likes this.
  18. McTricky

McTricky Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Funnily I've been thinking about doing more or less the same thing for a certain segment of my game project since a few days ago. I think it'd be a very interesting way to go about enemy encounters. So I'd definitely approve of that.

19. The Stranger

The Stranger A Faceless Friend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think that's a great idea! It sounds very "Amnesia" like; having no real way of harming enemies, save for avoiding them, hiding, or sometimes defeating them through puzzle\obscure methods. It would add a lot of tension to your project, as well. I say go for it!

20. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree. I think unless you're making a full hack n' slash then an ABS will just be more trouble then it's worth, and you'll have to deal with compatibilty and all that fun stuff. Your idea of defeating enemies through puzzles and whatnot allows a level of strategy and can make for much more interesting combat and puzzles then just punching zombies in the face( as fun as that can be).