Oneirophrenia

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Quigon, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Alright, I think I'm sold. 

@Goatrider yeah you're right tbh, an ABS did kinda give it a hack n' slash feel. I'll see what I can come up with now :)

2. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just a thought here. Perhaps try not empowering the player and have combat as a last, desperate resort. Making the player feel helpless could add to the whole survival thing, forcing them to look for more resourceful ways to eliminate or sneak past enemies. You can always have combat, but make it punishing enough to make players try to avoid it. Again, just my thoughts. Really excited to see what you come up with for this.

3. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    See I was really wanting to do that but there's just no decent ABS that suits it. I really like Khas' one because it has pixel movement which is like, a necessity for an ABS, but there's also no way for ranged weapons to work. I was using that 'RE2 Shooting System' one for a while as well, but it's an incompatible mess with everything and melee combat sucked and the guns had next to no customization options...I tried Falcao's one which was GREAT for melee combat, but awful for guns xD you see my point, haha.

EDIT: I mean I could just get rid of using guns completely and make it purely melee based...hrm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  4. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You could do both with XAS. But then you can kiss compatibility with other scripts goodbye and it's probably not ideal. 

5. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, XAS is a nightmare with everything else I have. The issues that are arising when using guns are that the RE2 system was the ONLY one that allowed to reload them and make them have clips and whatnot. Every other one just fires them until the ammo runs out, and I really don't want that haha. Maybe I should just make it melee based, that might actually add something to it haha.

6. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think melee only might even be better. It would be cool if weapons broke and you have to repair them or something like that.

7. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Awesome. I think I can settle on that happily. Stealth kills to OHKO, hurried and brutal melee combat in case you're spotted. I'll just write into the story that Dorian doesn't know how to use guns, I am going for realism anyway haha. 

8. blueperiod

blueperiod At night above our sleeping heads

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This game looks absolutely brilliant. You have a very good eye for mapping, and the story seems intriguing as well. Very much looking forward to the demo, good sir!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  9. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! Demo progress is chugging along. I'm currently databasing and getting a solid combat system going so I can start basing maps around it a little better.

10. Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Choco-Elliot Wyvern Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan

First Language:
    Chocobo
    How do I only see this now >.< This looks absolutely awesome, the mapping is spectacular and the story seems very interesting :3 Keeping my eye on this one! :D

Quigon likes this.
  11. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! Today's been all about trying to figure out how to get the battle mechanics going, so if I manage to crack that then we're sailing.

12. Clord

Clord Nya~

Hehe, well you have plenty of time until 20th. :)

I'm really looking forward to try this game out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
    Quigon likes this.
  13. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Welp here's hoping I get all the mechanics and sprites finished in the next week or so. That and mapping the rest of the prison, but that honestly shouldn't take so long.

EDIT: and music. and eventing. and databasing. 

....it's doable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
  14. AK47

AK47 Veteran

Looking good, Quigon. The video was nice, looking forward to the demo.

Quigon likes this.
  15. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Not seen you in forever man! Thanks very much.

16. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    So here's what I've been ratting on about for the past day. Looking at it, it hardly seems mega noteworthy, but my god the amount of time that went into eventing all this :| here's what stealth in this game will resemble, at its most basic level.

Oh, also have a new title screen. Please note that you'll never see any of these sprites or animations in game, they're all for testing/beta purposes. Same goes for the Fallout ghoul noises. Sprites still needed are the stealth kill sprite, and all the regular/behavioural ones for Dory & monster. All battle animations are disabled in this video. Just clarifying that this is bare bones!

Furthermore, the only stealth element left out of this video is ducking behind things so that you're not in an enemy's viewpoint, but that's hardly revolutionary. Enjoy!

(you may need to watch it on YouTube, for some reason it isn't available when I click on it here)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  17. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Man this looks sweet! Can't wait to see it all finalized. Is that falcaos ABS you're using by the way? 

Quigon likes this.
  18. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    @Goatrider - it is indeedy. Seems it's the closest one to getting what I want, haha.

19. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    ~aaaaand second last character is finito!

[​IMG]

Meet the Surgeon. She's certainly one of the more enigmatic characters of the story. Thanks again to Ronove for the awesome artwork!

As farrr as demo progress is going, I'm expecting 20th-end of the month. We just got a puppy and my god my time does not belong to me anymore.

20. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo

First Language:
    English
    Welp demo is looking further and further away. I am in dire need of sprites for this game (I don't have any for the MCs/enemies at all), and while I could just release one with placeholders it wouldn't really sit well with me given that it just wouldn't look that good without the poses I need - and I would like a nice looking demo.

So to that end I am requesting some help with sprites if anyone here is interested. I already have a request thread here that you can check out.

Progress is getting there, most of the prison maps shouldn't take me much longer :)