gibbotron09

Good Fruit Games' Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello all!

I've been trying to work out ways to make custom control schemes for my RPG Maker game that uses Falcao's Pearl ABS. That means I need access to a control scheme that strays from the default of RPG Maker.

After messing around with a third-party software called JoyToKey, I figured out a scheme that worked perfectly, installed the software into my project folder (in a sub folder called 'Controls'), and also have the scheme in that folder so when others play the game, they can access and install the software with the scheme set up for them.

The one issue is that I want to try and allow the user to select to open this software while in game, preferably in the start menu but that's not mandatory. When this happens, JoyToKey is already configured to enable the controller mapping to how I have set and the the player wi be able to use their controller seemlessy.

Does anyone know how this can be done, or a better method to implement a controller option into a game that uses a control scheme that is different than the default? I've spent a lot of time researching and trying different ideas and scripts, but maybe I missed something!

Thanks ahead of time!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I would be VERY wary of opening other applications from within your game. Too much risk of viruses - you can't guarantee that the other company won't get hacked and their program replaced with something malicious. And is everyone who plays your game expected to download this software as well? Or are you including the software with your game, and do the terms of use allow that kind of distribution?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've seen plenty of games that just tell the user: "Hey, you can use JoyToKey to play this using a controller".

I myself have used that software with several different games. I think that people who use a controller to play games on the computer probably know what JoyToKey is already.

But, if you really want to, it is possible to run it from your game. I'll try to find a script call for that for you.

Zarby

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
system("notepad.exe","Game.ini") #this can execute a third party program with argument eg: open Game.ini with notpad.exebut i don't recommend it instead you can use GamePad extender script from Lone Wolf

it support xinput-compatible gamepad, if your controller is not xinput compatible you can still emulate it

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1284-gamepad-extender-v11-2202015/

and make or ask for a script that allow player to choose his buttons

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Do they need to *install* the software in order to use it?

Does it simply run in the background and automatically add controller support based on your scheme?

Or do they need to do something in order to use your scheme?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarby

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
JoyToKey do not require installation, when you open it, it open the config file in his folder but it a "shareware" not a freeware...

if you really want to use it i suggest to send people on joytokey website to download it and provide your scheme not the entire software

gibbotron09

Good Fruit Games' Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you all very much for your feedback!

I understand their are risks of this and if I ever release this game commercially, I would likely do what The Binding of Issac does and suggest that the user download and install JoyToKey, or contact the developers of JoyToKey and hope for a reply about this. 

Shaz: Thanks for moving this to the proper area. Sorry, I'm clearly new to the forums! :D

Hudell: If you know of any script call that could work like this directly, I'd appreciate you sharing!

Zarby: With your script call, would I instead need to apply this with JoyToKey.exe instead of Notepad.exe? So would it be more like...

system ("JoyToKey.exe","XboxController.ini"

where 'XboxController.ini' is a control scheme I created to best fit my game? (not sure if it is actually an .ini file though). Also, I messed around with LoneWolf's script along with many other and still could get them to achieve the control scheme I was looking for. I tried DP3's Improved Input System that likely would've worked, but there was an error reading the .dll provided by the creator and I couldn't figure out that issue. I know others experienced the same. I might invest more time into LoneWolf's script but I remember having issues with that one as well. JoyToKey is the only scheme that has worked flawlessly and can be put into my project folder and ran with the Xbox Controller settings already implemented, if the program is open.

Tsukihime: Zarby already said this but I'll flesh it out a little! JoyToKey doesn't require installation and if a file exists in the same directory as the JoyToKey file, then when the program is opened, that scheme will be automatically implemented into the program. So, therefore, if JoyToKey opened on the startup of my game, then the controller would work seamlessly with no need for adjustments by the player, unless desired.

Thank you all for your input and let me know if any other ideas spring up!

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
With your script call, would I instead need to apply this with JoyToKey.exe instead of Notepad.exe? So would it be more like...

system ("JoyToKey.exe","XboxController.ini"

where 'XboxController.ini' is a control scheme I created to best fit my game? (not sure if it is actually an .ini file though).
That may or may not work, depending on the way JoyToKey does his stuff. If you go to the JoyToKey folder on windows explorer and drag the XboxController.ini file to the JoyToKey.exe file and it properly loads the configuration, then it will probably work.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally working on a real title graphic! Here we are at an early stage:
titledemo.png
Sometimes game dev feel like...
progressMeme.png
back with more music

When I first heard a song by Nickolas Wolfe I was impressed by his musical skills and I instantly knew he was the perfect fit for the sound I was looking for Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace. The song I first heard was later used in Doirosz Arena in the game. For the launch of the demo version of Eniko next week, Nickolas made a new version of this very meaningful song!
Contemplating an old idea I once had about a fantasy world where elemental manipulation was possible, but combat uses required... creativity. Kinda like ATLA, but far more restricted, with a lot of physics-related realism driving what was possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeya007