Open-Source Products

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by phoenix_rossy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. phoenix_rossy

phoenix_rossy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've recently begun to consider releasing one of my titles as an open-source release, as there seems to be some interest in such through a steam workshop.

My question is- since the game contains assets purchased for commercial purposes through the RPGMakerWeb store, what are the legal ramifications around distributing the project in such a manner?

2. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       You wouldn't be allowed to do that with paid assets, there might be an exception or two in there but releasing your game as open-source would break the Terms of virtually every pack the store offers. Furthermore, many free non-commercial artists (most of them, honestly) have terms against redistributing their materials, which would probably include an open-source game (I have seen games taken down here and on other sites in the past for that very reason). In short, if you wanted to do this you'd either need to create/own exclusive rights to all assets used in the game or you would need to go to everyone whose assets you utilize and get special permission to redistribute their resources in such a way, permission which is...unlikely to be granted at best.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you're using Ace and Ace-shop-resources, then you're legally required to encrypt your game.

If you're using only free resources, then you might distribute it without encryption, but even that is not the same as "open source", because parts oof the code are inside the DLLs and their code is not public (and can't be made public without breaking the EULA).

Rukiri likes this.
  4. phoenix_rossy

phoenix_rossy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That answers that question then! Thanks guys.

5. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Simple answer, if you bought the assets than read the license.

That license will generally prevent you from releasing it as open-source.

When it comes to open-source projects it's best to use your own assets, even though I'm making a Dragonball game I can go back and edit my resources as I personally made the assets but that only goes for sprites, faces, etc.  I generally do not make my own tiles as I'm personally not great with tiles, I can however paint or outline a map but with the possibility of surpassing the map limitation of 999... I'm using pre-made but edited tiles "if the license allowed for it", I am drawing most of tiles outside dirt, grass, mountain"ish" tiles so I will still have a lot of custom assets I can use for an open source project.