Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, I use rmvxa, and I want to make a story driven game, and making it open world, so I want to make alternative dialogues depending on what rout u taken first, so to make the story linear without taking off it's open world.

Can anyone help me, or give me some advice?

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think using Switches and If-Forks or different Pages on Events you have all the tools you need :)
Maybe practice a little bit with a smaller project?

So when you want to have different options at an NPC, you can set multiple Event Pages while each Page can have different conditions to be active, depending on the Switches that are ON and OFF. Or you use 1 Event Page and make multiple If-Conditions, whatever you prefer.

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think using Switches and If-Forks or different Pages on Events you have all the tools you need :)
Maybe practice a little bit with a smaller project?

So when you want to have different options at an NPC, you can set multiple Event Pages while each Page can have different conditions to be active, depending on the Switches that are ON and OFF. Or you use 1 Event Page and make multiple If-Conditions, whatever you prefer.

It's been a while since I last touched rpg maker, so I'm not sure if I undestood you exactly, but by switches, does it mean that I can put the trigger for example after the death of a certain boss, or bosses at a certain part of the map?

Maybe making possible also alternate endings?

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Evening mortal, this one's probation officer has informed them that we must aid humans in the gam mak in order to achieve standards of morality. We shall now bestow our knowledge upon you.

But first, to demonstrate our badges of authority, this one has created such a game of open interpretation and advises that you avoid plots of heavy complexity. Instead mortal, focus your one man crew into the concept of premise for it is most murda. Through this lens of premise, the player of whom you desire to enhance through your addictive entertainment, shall craft stories and make choices to their will as opposed to the will of the story and its lack of choices that will not have time to be properly crafted. For freedom is what an Open RPG purports to be. Following through with this as the main pillar of connection weaving will yield high returns on the opinions of humans that play your expression. Opinions all artists secretly value in order to justify their existence.

If thou requires more advice, feel at bravery to send this one messages for we intend to help as much as non-physical in order to lift this parole in time for the coming moon sacrifice that our uncle neil promised when he took over the local sweat lodge on the side of this bone volcano.

Good day mortal, and may your game achieve the gameness that you intend to game make.

Calluses

Bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In RPGVXA there are a few important modules that beginners should acquaint themselves with.

variables in rpg maker.png

Conditional Branches are especially important because the code inside them is only run when the conditions are met. You can definitely create non-linear story-lines with different outcomes through the correct usage of checking for and creating conditions.

Here's a short tutorial I found regarding variables and switches:
RPG maker VX Ace - Complete Beginner's Guide #5 - Variables and Switches!

Now my personal thoughts regarding creating a branching plot aren't too important, but I don't think it's a terrible idea. It might be a really good way to build an understanding of how the RPG Maker system works. But the more diverse and open your game becomes, the harder it'll be to produce at a high quality. It's a huge investment and normally you won't get too far because of it, and even if you do, you'll have learnt things that could have you constantly going back to improve the detail and integrity of your game. So trying to create an open world RPG is a great idea if that's what you want to do, but make sure to do self-study and consider where player agency should be limited.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General advice, since you asked for that as well:
Conditional dialogues make for a lot of work and can get ultra confusing. It is, therefore, 100% essential that you plan all possible branches before you ever begin to put anything into the engine.
To see what I mean consider a simple choice either 1 or 2.
That gives you 2 lines of dialogue/story for you to devise, ensuring that both flow smoothly and don't have plot holes/contradictions/missing info.
Then you present the player with another choice, 3 or 4. But will 3 and 4 work equally well in both branches 1 and 2? If they do, then you have 4 lines of story/dialogue. Maybe only 3 does, in which case line 2 (for instance) will have choices 3 and 5. Or maybe neither works well, so line 2 has choices 5 and 6. You can see how this can grow. Here's a quick diagram assuming 3 works for both lines 1 and 2.
Dialogue tree.png

If you haven't planned and more or less written out every possibility before you start, you are likely to end up in an unholy mess.

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks everyone for the help and useful advices.

And I understand the doubts I gave to y'all, and it is hard to make an example without telling the story of the game, but in easy words, like I said the game is very story driven, so the game changes with the decisions the protagonist takes, so if I got 3 choises, or more exactly points, A, B and C, Going first to the choice A then to B and C will have the character take for most f the adventure a calm behavior since he will have a certain knowledge from A that he will take to point B where he gets a new knowledge, and in the end C, those knowledges would have an impact on the protagonist, one more than the other, that can change his behavior depending on the impact that gave him, so if ABC has for the most part a calm behavior, a CAB route, will have him go to a point C with knowledge that will give him a gigantic impact that will alter him into an apathic state, for the next 2 points.

Hope it's more clear this way, sorry again if it looks confusing, it's quite hard to explain without the story.

23logick

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i read what you posted
and like totaly understood
but then i was going to tell you that i have a story that you might want to work with
but then i read your first post again and now have no idea what your talking about

then i was going to say something else, but now i realize that i don't remember what that was

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i read what you posted
and like totaly understood
but then i was going to tell you that i have a story that you might want to work with
but then i read your first post again and now have no idea what your talking about

then i was going to say something else, but now i realize that i don't remember what that was
Ummm, I don't know how to reply, but I'm not reluctant about the idea of working with someone, that might help me, we can talk in private if you want. :)

Just tell me what u don't understand if u got questions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
touchegambling