RMMV Open-World RPG

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Amy Pond, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    [​IMG]

I am trying to flesh out a new project. My previous games have all been MMORPGs - in fact, the one I am working on was meant to be an MMORPG. Having set up the system and got it working, I realise that all this time I've never actually been making a game, I've just been faffing around with online systems. And that's all well and good, but if there's nothing to do then what's the point?

So I suppose this will be my first real foray into game making in a decade, since in that time all I've been doing is trying to set up my MMO.

Open World RPG

I have not chosen a name yet. My previous game was called Afar and that will still be the name of the world, but I need a new title.

Wytches and Wyverns is the working title I've settled on; I needed something just so that I could work on graphics and branding. It may or may not be the final title of the game, that doesn't matter,

The basic premise is that this is an open world game, similar to a typical MMO. A Western-RPG.

The main game will have a lot to do, but this will then be supplemented by expansion packs. I don't think you'll typically have to pay for those packs, it's just a way of always adding to the world.

Standalone or MMO?

I don't think the game itself will be an MMORPG as such, but there will be the option to add MMO elements to it at a later date; you could quite happily play the game self contained on a device without Internet however. So perhaps you could launch the in-game forums, but if you don't want to you don't need an Internet connection.

Fully Interactive World

I will be using QABS and QSprite to create this game. I will be using this to give me full control over the player and give them interaction with much of the world. Most objects will be messable. So you see a crate and you can do something with it. Harvest materials from the world around you, and so on. There will be spells you can use on enemies, but you can also use them on the world itself, perhaps filling a well, burning a cart of hay, or unblocking a path with magic.

Magic and the Dynamic Class system

Classes are going to be dynamic in this game and are not something the player chooses themselves. Basically you choose a roster of eight skills to take into battle with you. Based on these skills you are then given a class that describes you.

Why is a class important? It gets you access to guilds and secret locations, special equipment unique to that class, small stat boosts, and different conversations.

I have not fully worked out this idea but as a basic version let's say we have:

Spell: FIREBALL. Dark Magic = 2, Fire Magic = 3, Dragon Tamer = 1
    Spell: NECROMANCY. Dark Magic = 4
    Spell: DRAGONBREATH. Fire Magic = 2, Dragon Tamer = 3
    Spell: HEAL. Dark Magic = -1, Dragon Tamer = 2

I've contrived that so that I could make some daft situations just for emphasis. But let's say you chose the skills:

Fireball, Necromancy, Dragonbreath: DM=6, FM=5, DT=4 -> you are a NECROMANCER.
    Fireball, Dragonbreath: DM=4, FM=5, DT=4 -> you are a FIRE ELEMENTALIST.
    Fireball, Dragonbreath, Heal: DM=4, FM=5, DT=6 -> you are a DRAGON TAMER.

It will be a little more complicated than that and those aren't real examples, and obviously this will be over eight spells (you will have to take eight spells with you).

Graphics

Graphics will be a mix of Pioneer Valley Games and Celianna.

Here are a few examples, although these are just very quick maps with little thought to them just to demonstrate the idea and probably won't be used in game, certainly not as-is. It does demonstrate how quickly I will be able to create maps for this though as each represents maybe an hour of work.

[​IMG]

You can imagine the interactions you'd have above.

Animations will be a key feature. For example, this very quickly made one (needs more work).

[​IMG]

An example of a keep:

[​IMG]

Again that's not a very well thought out map, I just wanted to demonstrate Celianna's castle tiles. The building in the middle makes little sense, I just needed a centrepiece.

Here's an example of a connector map, because I need to learn how to map nothing.

[​IMG]

I firmly believe that until you can map emptiness you can't map detail. I'm not quite there yet but I think I'm getting there.

Some more house examples:

[​IMG]

Here is a quick map made using PVGames' cliffs. It's my first attempt at that style of cliff mapping and I am a little hungover, so I am not sure how well it has turned out:

[​IMG]

And a rough example of how interiors will work.

Interiors

You walk up to a door and the house cuts away like in The Sims.

This example is a bit small, I will be making future houses a lot larger. But the interiors, relative to other games, will be compact.

[​IMG]

Further examples but these were made for RTP scale.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Character Animations

I will be using the full PV Games sprite sheets to enable eight directional, eight frame pixel based movement. This will be coupled with running, sitting and other animations. I still need go through them all and see what I've got.

Hopefully I will also be implementing a kind of faux-3D world, with climbing and jumping between "platforms" and some idea of height to the world.

Head-Up Display

The HUDs in my game have always been complicated affairs so I have tried to be more frugal this time around. This will be the extent of the HUD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The player will have their own HP bar above their sprite, decluttering the actual view frame.

Those are skill icons, and I made these a while back, they're available in a thread here.

[​IMG]

The point of the skill icons is to be reasonably descriptive of what the skill does (so some fire, water, etc) while also being memorable. If you hover over your icon you will get a description anyway however.

Casting Spells - No MP

There will be no standard attack in this game, or defend option. Everything is broken down into skills.

As such there will also be no MP.

Different skills will instead have different recharge times. So a basic attack equivalent might recharge in a second, while a vast summoning spell might take a full few minutes to recharge!

You won't be able to change your build outside of safe spots - hotels, inns, that kind of thing. They'll be the equivalent of going to an inn in a Final Fantasy game, and I've designed it that way to make going to a town a more important moment, otherwise the whole world just blends into nothing.

Storyline and How to Not Make a Boring Game

The bulk of the game is going to be made up of quests, MMO style. However these quests won't be obvious, they'll be started and finished through general conversation and actions. I want there to be a lot of such quests available and the best will link together to create campaigns.

So as a quick example, your player becoming a knight. Starts with them trying to get into a special bar and realising it's the Knight's regular haunt. They get chatting to a drunkard outside and find out how they became a knight. Through various journeys and adventures the player eventually becomes a Knight, all to enter this one pub.

That's just a quick example and there will be more complex storylines of course. I haven't got that far yet.

Some quests will have others you can do instead of them in the chain. So for example, to start one main quest you might need to "be a good person". That could have been helping a cat out of a tree or helping someone fix their cart.

To start another you might need to have done some epic journey at some point, and there could be dozens of examples of that in your history.

I'm not sure what form these quests will take ultimately, and this is one of the things I still need to flesh out. Especially, how to create a world that feels expansive while still being within limits.

A World of Little Details

I've mentioned that the world will be interactive as much as possible but there are other elements I'd like to employ.

I have been working with RPG Maker for 14 years now and have learned a lot over the years. The following are all doable and things I would like to achieve:

- Sound effects and world object sounds
    - Footstep sounds that match sprite animations
    - On-map battle music where the music gradually gets more up tempo depending on your situation
    - Mirrors, water effects and other reflections
    - Footsteps in snow, sand and other key locations
    - Splashes and raindrop effects in water and puddles
    - Little critters

Trading Card Game

I have big plans for this game if I ever finish it. One of those plans is a trading card game. I know a company that will do it, in a print-on-demand form, and they will produce both deck boxes and randomised booster packs. The cost would be roughly the same as a typical MTG equivalent set.

Each card would have a code on the bottom that would allow you to unlock the card inside the game, and also a unique item based on that card. I know it's not secure and I know people will just build a list and put it on the Internet; it's just a gimmick really and an easter egg for people buying the TCG.

If I ever manage to get a license for using RPG Maker graphics outside of RPG Maker (but alongside an RPG Maker project) this is what the cards will look like:

[​IMG]

However if that doesn't happen I will source resources externally. I'd rather go with the above though.

I'm not going to put too much thought into that at the moment!

Alongside this will be other extragamery things such as user guides and other merchandise.

Branding

I am trying to build up a strong brand and to go with that I need a solid game title. At the moment I have settled for Wytches & Wyverns but this is subject to change and is very generic. But that doesn't mean I can't work on the brand itself, and I have come up with graphics I can easily change the name for.

[​IMG]

Example:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your Input

I hope to build up a conversation and work out how all of the above is going to play out together. Let's see what we come up with?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting concept,

I also seem some parallels between your project & my own, which I am currently in the process to revising from the ground up.

For example, I am also using a limited skill loadout to go along with the character customization to promote a greater tactical approach to battle. Along with using skill cooldowns so that powerful skills can't simply be continuously spammed.

However, I use both MP (mana) & TP (stamina) as skill resource pools, depending what the skill in question is. Primarily for two reasons, first so that characters with greater pools of a resource can throw more firepower, & second so that various curses & injuries that negatively impact the mana &/or stamina pools of a character have tactical use.

I am also using something similar to your dynamic class system. However, I am focusing more on skill usage, rather than skills learned, via variables that are increased with skill usage. I.e. all fire related skills increase the variable "pyromancy" by 1, with each use. Skills used while wearing Heavy Armor, increase "Heavy Armor" variable by 1.

The idea being to create a progression based class tree. As the player meets certain variable benchmarks, their class changes to reflect their playstyle. I.e. a player who focuses on using heavy armor & healing magic eventually becomes a Paladin, while a character who focuses on light armor & bows, eventually becomes a Ranger.

Amy Pond likes this.
  3. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

What I like: I think it looks promising. Screenshots are well detailed, every small piece has the potential to catch the eye of the player.
    What I don't like that much: The Top Down buildings. Some of them has their roof to expose also the sides by using a visual trick, but I still consider those top down buildings. I will always ditch those for isometric representations.

What do you mean by "map emptiness"?

4. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Map emptiness on a open world shouldn't be worried about to much in my opinion. First off a lot of open world games with far more powerful engines than rmmv still have empty spots because that's realistic. If I start driving outta chicago into the country what will I see? Empty grasslands or farm lands which still don't have very many man made objects around. So with that example it's less realistic to have constant clutter of buildings.

5. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Basically for a world to be realistic, there will be spots where there is literally "nothing", even if it's just for a handful of tiles. And when working at this scale that's even more obvious to the player especially if textures start tiling. So a lot of thought has to go into how the ground itself looks to break up monotony.

Here's how the buildings look together.

[​IMG]

I agree to some extent; my issue is that if I spend much time on finding new graphics, I will end up in the same problem I had before, where I am not actually working on the game itself. I find myself with very limited time to work on my project and I want to finish something.

I may try and build diagonal buildings if possible, or some other way to break the grid appearance. I've never mapped isometric and am not sure how to go about it to be honest.

starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
  6. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Amy Pond The Medieval Town & Country pack contains a whole host of houses and other buildings, as well as castle parts, towers and walls. Not sure if you own that pack, though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

What plugin are you using for the HUD and to display the help/info text for the skills?

8. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    QABS, which is an action battle system (on-map battle system).

Thanks, and yeah I've seen those. Personally I'm not a fan of the buildings in the pack, they seem far too large and the angles seem off when compared to a lot of the more modular parts of the pack, which seem to be top-down based like RPG Maker. Individually the premades look nice, but when put next to ones built from parts/tiles, I don't think it works. I'm also not too confident making isometric tiles myself to match, so I'd be stuck with what's in the pack.

I have been playing with the character generator for PV Games characters. It's a nice program, still finding my way around it.

Here are some characters. These are the Town Watch, who will hold residence in the small town above.

[​IMG]

Though I haven't planned out the actual mechanics, the aim is to create some kind of reputation system in the background (not shown to the player) that decides what they say and how they act. Think of it loosely like the rep system in GTA:2.

So if you help them they'll help you. But if you cross them, or start being a meanie, they'll become aggressive.

The aim is for them all to have a few different behaviours. For example one will go and attend to the drunk under the pub at some point.

This brings me to another mechanic which is randomised text. I plan to create a plugin for messages in which I can insert words and phrases that will become randomised. A message sequence might look like so:

[GREETING] [ANONYMOUS], [WELCOME] to [MY SHOP]. <OP>[I AM] [MY NAME].</op> [PROMPT TO BROWSE]

I'll define various options here. So maybe:

GREETING: "Hello", "Salutations", "Good day"
    ANONYMOUS: "adventurer", "traveler", "friend"
    WELCOME: "welcome", "come in", "please enter"
    MY SHOP: "my shop", "my abode", "my emporium", "my stores"
    I AM: "My name is", "I am", "I'm", "They call me"
    MY NAME: defined in a variable
    PROMPT TO BROWSE: "Please look around!", "Feel free to have a mosey." "Come and see what you like!"

And this would create any of these messages and more:

Hello adventurer, welcome to my emporium. Come and see what you like!
    Salutations traveler, come in to my abode. They call me Alan. Feel free to have a mosey.
    Good day friend, please enter my shop. My name is Alan. Please look around!

It's a basic example, but you can see how you sort of have different but still meaningful conversations with people.

I need to refresh my regular expressions so I can code this, and I doubt I'd feel happy doing a public plugin because of how shoddy the code would be. But if it works I may release it publicly.

A rose under another name?

Finally, I've started thinking about a name. I want something punchy and relatively unique that still screams Fantasy RPG. (Don't we all?)

Here's my current thinking, everything subject to change of course.

[​IMG]
    Am also working on stopping being pretentious. I'm failing there.

9. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    man, I read through all of this and I got really excited. I can't wait to see where this goes :)

Amy Pond likes this.
  10. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a little sad to see you let go of your old project, but you seem fond of your ideas for this, so I want you to go for it. As always, you are great at coming up with concepts and branding ideas, but please don't make the same mistake you did with Afar - namely thinking of the optics before the systems within the game. Afar already looked great.... but you had trouble turning it into an actual game beyond the mock-up. I think you have great talent and potential, but really put your head into this! I want you to succeed.

Amy Pond likes this.
  11. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Because I work shoddy hours at work (I get home about 11pm every day) I tend to do a lot of design and planning on my breaks, but then when I get home I don't get much more done than making a prototype or a few mock ups. I think I'm good at the design part, I just have trouble hammering that down into an actual game.

I want to try and create a base system that I can then work from, and get the all solidly working before proceeding. So I want to turn every mockup into a working Thing. I am there with most of them, others I know how to do it, and know they'll work, it's just finding the time to actually do it, for example my interiors above. I've done it in previous projects, I just need a little time to work it out again.

There are quite a few features I want to throw into this project but don't want to end up with a "feature list" kind of game. Everything needs to work together seamlessly and make sense in the game.

I've worked out a simple way to do water animation and I think water will look something like this:

[​IMG]

The player has a very slight effect around their body where the water level is. Not sure how it'll look in game but I'll keep tweaking it.

Should allow me to have different depths of water, with the water even getting gradually deeper as you walk further in.

This is going to enable the player to explore more of the world, by going underwater to discover new locations and hidden objects. There will also be underwater enemies with their own attributes and behaviours based on this.

Ideally, though I haven't got this far, I am hoping the player will be able to jump, which includes falling. So they will be able to fall into water from jumping puzzles or walking off cliffs. The main stumbling block with this is working out how to stop the player falling off from pathfinding as that shouldn't happen.

This should easily be combined with:

- Weather effects such as water droplets when it rains
    - Minigames such as fishing where you run after fish in the water (think of it like creature capturing but you eat the end result! Oops!)
    - Sound effects such as yourself splashing about in the water, other creatures moving, and general water sounds
    - Slightly different movement speeds depending on how deep you go

I still haven't decided what happens once you hit very deep water. Do you die, do you go underwater with underwater maps, do you get a message telling you to go back?

Edit: Animation

Using QSprite I'm going to set up several animations for the player. I will have to create a mod of QSprite to let it mirror some sprites. Because PVGames' characters are set up for side view battle, some animations only have sideviews. Do you think that will be too poor for an ABS?

Here are examples of what animations I should have, with the battle ones being sideview. The general melee attack will also be used for mining rocks with a pickaxe sprite.

[​IMG]

Edit to add: Implemented Features

Yay! Actually did something!

Footstep sounds based on terrain walked on
    Turned out this was a simple event.

I am using a long walking sound effect which has a lot of variety in it, so I will work out how to start it at a random position for extra naturalness.

This includes splashing sounds in water.

Footstep sprites
    Works in four directions, need to work out how to do it for 8. Also doesn't seem to work with the mouse.

Proximity Battle Music
    Battle music plays when either you or the enemy initiates a battle. Music ends if no action has been performed for five seconds.

Need to find a better way of starting and stopping the music - would rather it fade in than suddenly start.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    starlight dream and Biestmann like this.
  12. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

A mirrored pose is just a mirror pose, is not a pose rotated 180 degrees. But I think it could trick the user I think if you are using small characters.
    I'm lazy to check myself in PVGames spritesheets, but do you have the sideview poses in diagonals too? Posing in 2 and 8 direction?

When setting up QSprites from various sources I use some excel sheets to calculate all offsets, based on the sprites I'm using. This saves a lot of time, but it is still cumbersome if you decide to extend the original sheet with new poses to the right.
    So as a solution always extend the sheet vertically, so you will preserve the original QSprite index for the initial poses.

PVGames spritesheets have an exhaustive number of poses, but in practice I've found I still need a pose not included in produced master sheets. Also some specific clothing/weapons/armors can't be done so because of that I've decided to make my own and use PVGames sprites only for generic NPC events.

The water effects looks interesting, curious how you did it...
    If I would have to do this, I think I would take the sprite, set the water level lets say at the belly, then make a selection into that area and apply a transparency/gradual transparency. For the ripples and water sparkles I would go with some noise in that area.

But the real interesting part would be to make an actual swimming pose, in which case I would just hit the problem explained above as you don't have everything in PVGames.

Amy Pond likes this.
  13. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Since I'm using visual equipment, adding sprites is going to be a lot of work. May be worth it, of course, but the prospect of adding extra frames to thousands of files is daunting. Unless I ditch vis equipment, or do it a little differently. You're right though, PVG doesn't do anything - not even climbing animations.

For the water effects I am actually using my visual equipment - I have an extra layer for a kind of wearable environment, so I can layer a graphic above. That way everything's tailored to the look of the sprite itself, so I can have said noise in different places depending on what they're wearing, etc. It would probably better to generate it algorithmicly however.

Something I've been fighting in my head over is whether I want to go down the JRPG or WRPG route for my main character. Having a predefined main character would make things a lot easier with regards sprites though, and I could do it properly, and have swimming, climbing and better battle animations if I didn't have to have the option of visual equipment and character creation. But the it would be a different kind of game. This is the right time to make those decisions though.

If I go down the JRPG route I would like to subvert some of the JRPG tropes. The main character would be some kind of bandit or rogue, to show their side of the story. I don't know that they'd eventually become some kind of World Hero at all, rather just being a nobody trying to make their way through the world and tagging along to the Main Story.

Edit: for the most part, different facing battle animations will be simple to achieve if I go down the one-character route. Swimming will be easy if I hide most of the player's body, but otherwise PVG has no laying face down poses. I ought to be able to implement visual weaponry still. I need to do some thinking and planning and work out if that's the kind of game I want to make.

Edit 2:

Not a lot of thought has gone into this but this is a character I've had in my head for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  14. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

Not sure I get the difference between JRPG and WRPG because I didn't played JRPG games so don't know what their characteristics are.

We gave up on wearing weapons/equipment at the moment because it delays development phase. Sure, we can do it for the main character, like wearing a couple of clothes/weapons but NEXT we will want to do the same for the events, and so on.
    Also we can throw more non human enemies in the scene like rats, wolves, etc... those lack equipment, so they should be easier. :)

I just had some time today to look at the QABS+Skillbar plugin and it looks nice. It has some dependency it seems on QABS, which is not that nice, but as long as I'm not forced into QABS battle style for the moment (I can keep it disabled) everything is fine.

But the interface looks rudimentary to say at least... the screenshots with your HUD looks much better, features more data, bigger icons and custom borders. Did you wrote your own code on top of the QABS+Skillbar to draw those nice frames or is something I'm missing?

15. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Basically in most JRPGS you play as a premade character with its own backstory, so you play as them. In a WRPG you typically create the character yourself, choose its appearance and name, and play as you. The latter requires a lot more graphics, while the former is more story heavy.

The borders and icons are edits to the plugin.

16. AcetheSuperVillain

AcetheSuperVillain Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    American
    The deeper difference between JRPG and WRPG is that the earliest WRPGs, like Dungeons and Dragons, were developed by companies who did strategy games, like tabletop wargaming and skirmish. The classic JRPGs, like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, were developed by companies who did visual novels. But there's a deeper theme between Japanese and Western video games in general, that Japanese games tend to have you play as a character while Western games tend to have you play as yourself. The Japanese philosophy allowed them to create characters like Mario and Sonic and Cloud and Snake that people tend to relate with and enjoy in a unique way that you don't get by playing as yourself. You might enjoy your own characters more than you enjoy one of the video game icons, but it's harder to share that experience with other fans.

If one of your goals is to make an entertaining story, a JRPG style character would be much better for that. I've never felt compelled by a WRPG's generic character plots, whereas something as simple as Cloud turning his back on Barrett and shrugging without a word is a much more lively experience. Although personally, most of the RPGs I play nowadays are rogue-likes, where I can jump into the action with out a lot of blablabla.

One thing I'll mention as far as story is that I think Fate-of-the-World type plots can get very difficult to enjoy. It's hard to relate with. It's hard to imagine how someone would act, given the responsibility of saving the world and it's hard to make those kinds of situations feel believable. A lot of RPGs tend to go off the rails as they get towards the world shattering final boss. My advice is that it's better to stick to personal stories. Rescue the girlfriend, take revenge, run to the aid of your blood brothers in their hour of need, that kinda thing. If you want an example, I've always felt like the Disgaea games are pretty good at doing personal plotlines, partly because the weight of the world is not so heavy to a Disgaea demon, but also they do a good job of writing. In Legend of Dragoon, technically, they do get invested in the fate of the world, but they do a very good job of keeping the action personal. There's various crazy spoilers I won't get into, but basically the game starts with a mission to rescue Dart's girlfriend and even in the final battle, when technically Dart is saving the world from overwhelming evil, his personal motivation is still to rescue his girlfriend.

starlight dream, Amarok and Amy Pond like this.
  17. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Another is that typically in a JRPG you play as a cast of characters, with new ones joining or leaving, whereas in a WRPG it's usually just yourself.7

If I'm making a story heavy game I want to get it right so I'm not going to leap into anything, though this is the cast I have in my head at the moment. The story would be focused on three groups and their intertwining story from various perspectives.

Which will be playable characters and which will be just in cutscenes is another matter!

Y-axis is their relative power within their group.

[​IMG]

Their busts (but I don't think I will be using these in game).

[​IMG]

Edit to add:

How cutscenes might look.

[​IMG]

The black border is simply because I don't know what will be around this room, although for a cutscene I might just leave it black. Normally you would see the rest of the building or the outside world.

This is Queen Esme's library, where you will usually find her rather than her throne room.

Brings me to storyline.

Storyline

Current thoughts are that you are just a lowly bandit. You walk around ne'erdoinwell, generally getting into escapades and looting. Along the way you dip into various quests here and there, doing what you're asked and nothing more.

In the meanwhile, we keep seeing cutscenes of the royal household and the events going on there. We have Queen Esme who rules the kingdom. Once a happy, loving ruler she has evidently become power driven and lost touch with her people. We see her committing various atrocities and being a Bad Person.

So back to our side quests. Along the way we accidentally become involved in something bigger than we'd wanted, and end up, during a very mundane mission, in a team that is going to assassinate Esme. We don't find out this until the last moment.

[​IMG]

Esme is dead, and we meet Princess Amelia, Princess Consort (yes, I know what that means). We begin to hear her story and learn about her beloved Esme. Then, from the Queen's Hand, who is the lord that essentially runs the kingdom while she is otherwise occupied, we learn that she is the lesser of two evils.

Spoiler Alert, if you mind

Esme is a witch. More than that, she is a grand sorcerer, one of only four in the world. This brings about several issues:

- The Power of Four were keeping various evils out of the world. Once she is gone, we start seeing greater monsters, including Wyverns. The Kingdom is in real danger now.
    - The open throne presents a fight for control of the Kingdom. But that's small stuff.
    - Even moreso, the lack of a fourth sorcerer opens up a battle for who will become the fourth.

The player is still a mundane nobody and in no way considers this their problem. But now their little problems are cluttered with the big events going on in the background. And now the world has Wyverns.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  18. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

You are producing content updates so fast that you totally amaze me.
    When I try to envision you I see you like some evil grin maleficent person holding a whip and an army of leprechauns running around horrified and each working relentlessly to produce bits of texts for scenario, pixel sprites in Photoshop and level designs.
    And you just posting from time to time small pieces of their work. :)

What can I say? Keep up the pressure on those lazy bastards!

starlight dream and Amy Pond like this.
  19. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Oh, don't worry, my updates are completely lacking in substance, I'm just good at knocking out scenarios and such. What I'll have by the end of it is a vision to then go ahead and make - that's the part I struggle with!

20. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ok.... let's break it down, said the Ripper....

standalone or MMO?
    If you go MMO, you'll need to take care of the Online, the Multiplayer and the Massive.
    *can* you get a server up that would handle that?
    If not, then don't bother thinking about the lesser matter of the exchange of packets..... because, there wouldn't be a server up that could handle them.
    If you want to go MMO, you'll need to pack every data exchange of a normal game (variables, switches, controls, configurations, etc) in a packet, and have the server manage them, and have other clients at the other end of the line unpack them and read them.
    That's a whole process on it's own that needs to run 100%, every time, the first time, otherwise the clients would time out and lose the connection, so, no more MMO.

open world RPG?
    BIG NO unless you have a solid narrative.
    "open world" doesn't just mean "large environment" or "procedurally generated environment", it means "non-linear narrative" (at least, in appearance..... *everything* is linear, it just doesn't look like it)
    To have a non-linear narrative, you need a narrative first. One that would get the characters from point A to point B, but not necessarily the most direct way.
    In a linear narrative, you can't get to the end unless you pass a previous stage first.
    In a non-linear narrative you might have several previous stages which you need to defeat completely in order to advance, but there's no specified order to do so. And *because* there's no specified order, you need to introduce multiple extra checks to make sure the player doesn't attempt to complete the same mission twice, or try to enter another area while trying to complete a current mission.
    To do multiple narratives at the same time, you still need to make sure the player can only do one at a time.
    With that I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, only that the amount of control you'll have to have in place is much greater than with a linear narrative (because, the player can only go forward, to where you expect them to be!)

dynamic class?
    Looking at it, it looks interesting.
    I guess, as long as you can make the selection of skills univocal then there's no trouble there.
    The problem would come if two players with the same total score got two different brandings.

graphics?
    whatever works, or whatever fits.
    if you want to make custom animations, then you'll need custom battlers... but if you have established battlers with generic animations, shouldn't be too hard to edit them around and make new animations.
    I'd personally NOT use those models, ... I can't stand that lighting... it speaks "generic stock model" everywhere.

interiors?
    I'm trying to include that cutaway aspect in my game as well, and it's proving difficult, especially having to use pictures and events to make the overlay.
    If the work needed to put that in place outweighs the seamlessness (?) of the final effect, then don't bother.
    It's not that of a big deal having to wait for a transition between inside and outside.

overall, the problems you would encounter with this project are all related to final looks and implementation except for the MMO part.
    if the core concept and mechanic holds true,...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ why not.