Opinion: Your game is already bad if you use all default graphics.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I find that HARD to do and often that just whip something up from pre-existing tiles is a lot easier...
Try it out a bit. It can be something as simple as recoloring some roofs, grass, and dirt:

Note: The trees and small rocks are from the free assets subsection of these forums (PandaMaru I believe was the artist who made them) the rest are just tiles I recolored and/or plants I copy/pasted out of their pots. Nothing too fancy, as I have minimal artistic talent when it comes to making anything from scratch.

And if you use custom assets from these forums, it can be as simple as clicking the right passability settings once you import them, and that's it. Give it a try, it's worth getting comfortable with.

@Aesica What was that? Use Theme 6? Here's a cover version just for you. Enjoy.
Now THAT is a work of art!

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
That's a beautiful map! I would probably enjoy this game from the map alone. But that's not what I mean, I find that I myself have a harder time working within limitations (ex: forcing myself to work with the RTP by itself) than just editing the thing I need. That's also why I struggle to use very limited palettes too, I just feel confined.

So I think making something that's charming with the RTP and the RTP only is a feat in itself, forcing oneself to work with that limitation. I certainly praise a game that achieves that.

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, in my opinion, everything that looks "stocky" can send possible players/buyers away. However, this is not an exclusive RPG Maker thing...

Just look at Steam, for example, the amount of Unity games made with stock assets. Many of these games have (beside the graphics) the same premise, the same gameplay, the same goal salad. All badly composed.

You can make a game where everything and everyone is a bunch of 2D cubes made in Paint. But if these cubes propose interesting and captivating things, you can still have a great game on hand.

Jenova

Because you are...a puppet!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the end of the day, the games you create are your own, bad or not.

Don't let other peoples opinions make you feel bad for using default assets. I use them. Granted, I hardly have any players, but I am not looking for them. I am looking for bug testers.

One of the things I learned when making a game is make it for yourself, not for other people. If other people don't like it, listen to what they say and put your own spin on it.

You control the game, not other people.

But that's just my opinion.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my opinion which haven't changed : Most of the time, a good game is a well-known game.

For example, is this a "bad game"?
1592710501939.png
To me, when people know about it, then as a "game" it's already successfull.
I don't know as a "product" tho. That's market thingie.

The problem of using RTP is not about the quality. Quality has nothing to do with it. IMO RPG Maker default asset actually has great quality.

The problem is that they are shared IP. They have no intellectual value because they lack origin and identity.

If only RPG Maker released along with an example game using their default asset, I believe it will make the RTP more valuable depend on the game quality. At least their asset will have official origin.

Another way to save them is to make great IP game out of it. In this case it's the same as Yandere Simulator who started and stick to using public asset. Look at how much their character value has raised. I know he have bad rep now, but there are still part we could learn from him.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My only response to the thread is that I don't agree; but as it's just an opinion, there's not really any need to debate that.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RTP has it's pros and cons. It can build wide variety of locations in the same style and it has quite a bit details compare with retro pixel art. If we just pay for other commercial tilesets sometimes they don't have all the locations in the same style.

However if your story has a more dark/serious tone then MV RTP is not the best asset for such story. RTP tilesets are designed for chibi characters, and chibi characters don't always work well for serious stories. A serious story often need taller characters and a taller world.

So it depends on the overall mood of the story in my opinion. I'd say using RTP is fine as long as developers are being mindful about the advantages and disadvantages of using it. I wouldn't encourage all commercial project developers use RTP just because it's fast and cheap, unless it's for prototype. However if RTP style happened to work for that particular story then there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

Kato-A

Artist and developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't agree, Even though I prefer to make all the graphics of my games myself, because the RTP don't satisfy me, I know that with effort you can make great maps only using RTP, the point is: KNOW HOW TO MAKE MAPS.
And that is the problem of many games, that the maps are boring and poorly made. :frown:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".
Ami
--- F.Mage Cooking ---

F.Mage: Hey,guys. i made dinner for you!
M.Fighter & Hero: (Shock) Dinner???
(F.Mage Put The Failed And Burnt Dishes Surrounded With Creepy Aura)
Hero: What the...???
F.Mage: It's Curry Rice,Fried Egg And Cakes. I hope you guys like my Dishes.
M.Fighter: Are you kidding me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AkuneLynxxx