kvngreeley

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My preference is for option 3, unless all of the character's dialogue can't fit into the option box. In that case, I'd put as much as fits, trailing off in ellipses, then continue it in a text window.

It's a minor annoyance to me to see the same thing twice, so I see it as kind of pointless if you select a descriptive option just to see the same thing in a text window. It's a major annoyance, as others have pointed out, for a descriptive option that doesn't completely match what ends up being said - Star Wars: The Old Republic has a fair bit of that scattered throughout the game.
Thank you! Another good point that I hadn't considered as far as being more detailed in the response choices and then continuing that into the in game displayed response. Continuing, not repeating. Very interesting!

I am so glad for these perspectives! This will help me a lot.

I am not someone who has paid a lot of attention to dialog in games so my own perspective is limited. Probably because a lot of early games I played didn't have that much dialog. Which is why I am researching it now.

Just like sound effects and music. Because of my living environment, I almost always play games with no sound or it is turned down very low. So it is hard for me to completely understand when someone down votes a game because of complains about music or sound effects. That is something else I need to research more by purposefully paying more attention to it myself.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Option 3. I like the choice to feel like a part of the conversation. Option 2 if you need several party members speaking, I guess.

kvngreeley

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Option 3. I like the choice to feel like a part of the conversation. Option 2 if you need several party members speaking, I guess.
Thanks for raising the aspect of multiple party members or even NPCs participating in the dialog. Another factor to consider!

bmg

Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Option 1 is similar to many newer Bioware games like Mass Effect series. I personally enjoy it.

It feels like you are "directing" your character during a conversation, then the character proceed speak on their own, in their own words. It worked really well in Bioware games because it feels like your character has a personality, and players still have full control on what your character said.

Option 3 works best if your character is a silent protagonist. Like in persona 3 or Disco Elysium, the details in dialogue options shows MC's personality.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

you know, since learning C [;)] I've grown to love VC and OpenGL :D
Welp. Just updated the biplane sprite-sheet with the missing "North" and "South" positions. Really digging the old 1920's aircraft designs as of late. Shame they're not in "vogue" anymore. They had style. I wasn't planning on making an Air Mail-centric game but now it is getting awful tempting.
animation-example.gif
ScreenShot_5_15_2022_4_23_30.png

found out the names of all the window's used in Yanfly's Victory Aftermath plugin and came up with some designs for them.
Work on yo games humans! No excuses!
Finally working on a real title graphic! Here we are at an early stage:
titledemo.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeyMikeF78