Terozu

That guy who started a year ago.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, title might seem weird but here's the basic explanation.

My game has different personality meters that change with dialogue options allowing differing dialogue options and giving new ways to solve/worsen situations.

The current set up is:
Jokester - Serious, Humorous character vs no nonsense character
Perverted - Honorable,sexual remarks and such vs more chivalrous remarks, my current issue.
Rude - Kind, Basically mean vs nice.
Crass - Gentle, Polite and respectful vs without manners.
Cowardly - Brave, cowardice vs bravery obviously.

I want to change Perverted - Honorable so that honorable is instead more like your willingness to fight dirty. However this leaves me a little stumped on what the opposite of perverted should be. My current thought is chaste but I'm not sure how I feel about that or if there's a better option.

definite_lee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Chaste sounds good. But also Prude, or Puritan, are words people use to describe someone who is the opposite of a pervert.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Chivalrous? Can have somewhat negative connotations but in this context it would be clear that you don't mean it in that way.

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chaste has the least negative connation

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think pervert and honorable are opposites (same for chaste and chivalrous). The opposite of pervert would be something like saint, or innocent, but saint seems more correct.

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Prudish actually sounds perfect! I don't know why I didn't think of it >.>

Chivalrous remarks was really just the first word that came to mind, I was thinking more like the opposite of perverted with it, and that's how I wanted it in the first place, which is why I wanted to change this. The main reason that occurred to me tbh was the idea of a "chivalrous pervert", you can be honorable and perverted so it didn't fit to me..

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Terozu - If I may, unrelated to your initial question, for rude - kind I would just go with mean - kind instead, since rude to me might fit better with gentle as rude - gentle. AND maybe crass would fit better than perverted :3 . As always, take with a grain of salt. Good luck on your project.

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KaBlooZio I always thought crass meant unrefined? Perhaps Polite would be better than gentle there... Mean might be more intuitive since it's what I mean anyways.
Also didn't know you could @, so thx for that XD

definite_lee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A crass/unrefined person would definitely make sexual remarks, because they typically have little regard for etiquette/social norms. so I think it may fit.

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The way I view it is more, 'Perverted' would have the character be more open to sexual conversation or peeping or other such(admittedly hyper anime) things, while crass would have the character more prone to swearing and more foul mouthed in general.

Compared to rude which would just have the character be more mean spirited, even if they are polite.
For instance, it's possible for a kind and polite person to be perverted, they just wouldn't talk about perverted stuff when it is inappropriate, but when around friends they'd be more likely to make perverted jokes, or more likely to try to peep at women or such, while being perfectly cordial and polite up front.

-----

Unrelated, but should I add indicators to responses to clarify which meter they'd alter?

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Terozu - See, I have problems with the word perverted though. I know its common to associate topics having to do with sex as perverted but to me the word perverted implies something is morally wrong or at the very least taboo, which sex isint.... or it shouldn't be at least. Maybe consider "Flirty", "Seductive"...something that isint morally black or white. Or, maybe im just over thinking it... X3

But yeah, anyway. Take with salt :3 .

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KaBlooZio
I know the official definition is twisted, but in media such as games and anime I've only really seen 'pervert' be used in a sexual context with the exception of using it as a verb such as "he had perverted the ideas that had been held sacred for ages". In the context of my game in which the protagonists are all around college aged(the main protagonist who is affected by these choices is around 22) it's meant more as a "these people are a bit more sex oriented than most" than a "these people are twisted and wrong".

It's possible people playing the game could get confused so maybe I'll find a better word. Thanks for your input there ^-^

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
How far can you go in the game? Are you able to directly change with one dialogue option, character that is honorable to a perverted one, or is the change a slow one?

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Current iteration has all personalities 'start' at 0, but the first few dialogue options have you choose between each dialogue personality type, ending with 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points in the direction of each personality you prefer, all subsequent dialogue options will shift the value by 1, so it will take a little while for a perverted character to become more honorable or prudish.

I'm thinking of having special items like manuals which increase and decrease values quickly.

There are also bonus actions that become available as your personality changes. Whereas an honorable character might search for a locked door's key, a pragmatic one might pick the lock or bust it down instead.

I'm thinking of capping it at around 15 or 20 points with all bonuses and penalties being accrued at 10 points.

Some planned bonuses and penalties are:

Honorable characters deal less damage when attacking characters afflicted with status effects but deal more damage when afflicted with status effects themselves.
Pragmatic characters can break in to places, but characters may trust you less over time.
Cowardly characters can flee battles easier, while brave characters can deal and take more damage.
A rude character might get what they want more often while kind characters will have better relationships.
Polite characters are better in formal situations, while crass characters might function better in casual situations.

Jokesters vs Serious and Perverted vs Prudish are probably going to be more cosmetic changes or mainly affect relationships.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You might be thinking of "Perverse" rather than "Perverted".

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does Perverse not describe one who is perverted?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please note that Game Mechanics Design is not dor feedback on individual specific projects. If that is what you want I shall have to move it to Ideas and Prototypes. Please post and confirm that it is just for your game.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please note that Game Mechanics Design is not for feedback on individual specific projects. Nor is the choice of a class name a mechanic as such.

[move]Ideas and Prototypes[/move]

Last edited:

Terozu

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes the post was talking about personality meters, not just feedback on my game. That's a game mechanic so I assumed it belonged there, if it did not I'm sorry, my mistake!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I suggest in that case that you post a separate thread about it in Game Mechanics Design as it wasn't even mentioned in your opening post. It only came up as an aside several posts in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Who knew a adding menu commands would be so hard for something that should be a basic feature.
When you discover great tileset resources that you completely forgot that you had. :kaomad3::kaopride:
Just got a better look at the MZ RTP. I'm very happy with it, especially the sci-fi tiles and sprites. Glad I pre-ordered.
I've just checked the VisuStella Plugins for MZ and there are already 11 plugins. The Yanfly team(perhaps a big one?) really works so effectively and efficiently that some MZ users can likely use tons of Yanfly plugins right after MZ's released (still 13 days from now). I wonder if any other plugin developer(or team) will try to compete with Yanfly this time, no matter how slim the chance to win is :)
Hello! :kaopride:I am new to RPG Maker, though I have been lurking the forums for a while. :kaoswt: Hope to make some friends and learn some stuff here! :kaothx:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerreh