Optimum iOS / Android Resolution?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Kudin, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey everybody,

So since we can change resolutions with the Yanfly core engine and other plugins, the question becomes...what is the "optimum" resolution for iOS and Android?

In the Yanfly Core video, common resolutions for different devices were shown. IE: An iPhone 6(s) plus at 1920x1080.

But how does 1920x1080 on an iPhone 6(s) plus actually look? Wouldn't 1920x1080 make the characters look like ants and make it much harder to navigate any map due to how small the tiles would be? Plus that resolution might not even look right on an iPhone 6 which has a smaller native resolution.

I guess my question is, universally speaking, what resolution would be the perfect balance between widescreen (without making the characters too small) for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus and most popular Droid devices? 1280x720? 

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
    ?????? likes this.
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I too would quite like to know the general thoughts on this. :)

3. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sadly someone is going to have to do something about this. So far from what I can tell Android / Iphone support is going be crap because every device is different but RPG Maker does not scale automatically on its own. 

So you are going to always have a lot of issues. IDK if we can make a script detect the resolution and correct it or what. 

4. Nimbus

Nimbus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well with a plugin that can change tile size and the ability to create custom sized characters (prefixing files with a $), the resolution isn't so much a question as the proper tile size to use. 1080p would indeed make the standard assets look smaller, but a good solution isn't to just use a lower resolution on a screen that's already set to a 1080p resolution. That will just artificially scale up the images without taking advantage of the added pixels you get with a better resolution.

Default tiles are 48x48 so if you have more pixels on screen, you're going to see a lot more of the smaller tiles. So in other words, instead of lowering the amount of pixels (lowering the resolution) we use, instead we should make larger tiles (say 96x96) with twice as much detail.

As for that perfect balance to use, I haven't quite figured it out yet myself.

5. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Graphics._defaultStretchMode = function() { return true;};put that in a js file, call it autoresize, and add it to your project.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
    Kudin likes this.
  6. ACECORP

ACECORP Founder & Entrepreneur Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This doesn't seem to work. It doesn't auto-stretch and remove the black bars on the side. I have the Yanfly plugin suite enabled. Is there a way to make this kind of auto-stretch work with yanfly's plugins?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  7. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i think you slightly misunderstand - it shouldnt remove the black bars at the side, it should allow the scale of the entire game window to be increased/decreased. The only way there would be no black bars, is if you made your game had a default resolution that meets the same size as your desktop screen.

That being said, I'm not sure if this snippet still works. I'm sure they changed the default to auto-stretch for a while, and i havent been keeping as up to date with my mv copy as i should, so idk if its been updated again or not.