OrangeGreenworks - Steam Integration with Achievements and Time Log

burb

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thank you for your hard work on this! I'm working on putting it into my game now.

I have a question about the step from your blog:

"Outside the www folder, delete everything except for the package.json file. We will replace those deleted files by a newer version of nw.js later."

Should we truly delete every file? I have about 10 files there, including ones like d3dcompiler_47.dll and ffmpegsumo.dll. Not to mention the nw.exe file (Formerly game.exe) which is nearly 50mb.

And, where do we download the nw.js file for version 0.17.3? Is this an RPG Maker file, or a Greenworks file?

Many thanks :)

Val

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
I configured that so long ago that I completely forgot it was a custom size. I'll check it in the morning. 

Any update on this @Hudell ? What need to be setup more for cloud saves files to work :)

Thanks again for your help! 

burb

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey Val, did you have any trouble implementing the updated Steamworks plugin? Specifically, did you have to delete every file outside the www folder? And where does nw.js file version 0.17.3 come from? Thanks for your help :)

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, sorry for the lack of replies, I'll check both of your issues now. I'll update this reply soon. 

Edit: sorry, life got in the way again, but I'll check ASAP

@ValMy game was configured to allow 10MB of data per user, with a max of 20 files.

@burb Yes, you need to delete even Game.exe and it's dependencies. You can download nw.js 0.17.3 here.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I hadn't realized it was just two simple questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Val

burb

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey, sorry for the lack of replies, I'll check both of your issues now. I'll update this reply soon. 

Edit: sorry, life got in the way again, but I'll check ASAP

@ValMy game was configured to allow 10MB of data per user, with a max of 20 files.

@burb Yes, you need to delete even Game.exe and it's dependencies. You can download nw.js 0.17.3 here.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I hadn't realized it was just two simple questions.

Thanks! I appreciate the answer.

How exactly does the game still function without game.exe? What file do we run now to launch the game? It seems a bit weird being able to run it without the game.exe file (which in my case is over 50mb)

EDIT: So it looks like nw.js 0.17.3 isn't just a .js file, it's a bundle that includes a whole host of files including an exe. Do we include all of this in the game distribution?

I also noticed there's a different version of nw.js 0.17.3 for each operating system. Does this mean we need to create separate distributions on Steam for Windows 32 and 64 bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes. You can rename nw.exe to Game.exe if you want. The Game.exe that comes with MV is the same file as the nw.exe from version 0.13.4.

You can probably use just the 32 bits version if you don't want to keep 2 different versions. There's also two types of versions: sdk and normal. Only the sdk versions allow you to open the console, so those should be used for playtesting while the normal version should be the one used for releases. 

burb

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Okay, thanks! I'll use the Windows 32 bit version like you suggested as that should work for all Windows systems.

I think I've got it all working now - it doesn't seem to crash when unlocking achievements offline. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all your help!

Val

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
Hello Hudell, have you continue working on this great plugin to support more features from Steam?
I hope your own project go well too :)

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I didn't do anything else yet. Is there any feature that you need?

AestheticGamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One thing having used this for a released game, it works fine for Windows but I think using the .exe method compared to the earlier method, the new ,exe causes a few performance issues on some PC's, Windows 10 specifically, and for some reason changing the .exe and inner files changes the game save directory so it stops saving in its own folder and tries to make the save file in the actual root directory folder (IE, C:\Save rather than (/Project/www/save). Just thought I should mention, though as it's the files and not the plug-in itself I'm not sure how much you could do.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you have the latest MV version? The bug you described shouldn't happen with MV 1.3 nor 1.4.

AestheticGamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you have the latest MV version? The bug you described shouldn't happen with MV 1.3 nor 1.4.
That would definitely be it, as the released project is on 1.2 and I neer updated it due to a few things breaking. Good to know it was fixed for more modern versions, though.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That would definitely be it, as the released project is on 1.2 and I neer updated it due to a few things breaking. Good to know it was fixed for more modern versions, though.

It's a simple fix, actually. You don't need to update everything. Just add the following code as a plugin:

Code:
StorageManager.localFileDirectoryPath = function() {
    var path = require('path');

var base = path.dirname(process.mainModule.filename);
    return path.join(base, 'save/');
};

Reactions: Val

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is Epic! I am going to try to use it with the ASOS project I have going.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a really useful plugin, which in the majority of cases seems to work great. However I do have a couple of issues:

As AestheticGamer perviously reported, replacing the Game.exe and other files seems to cause instability for some Windows 10 users. I've had one player who couldn't run my game for more than a few minutes without it crashing. As a test, I uploaded a version of the game without Orange Greenworks implemented and he said that fixed the problem.

It's worth mentioning that I'm running this with version 0.7 of Greenworks (nw.js v0.17.3 and SDK 1.37) because I haven't been able to get it working with any of the more recent versions. If I try to use Greenworks 0.10 (with nw.js v0.22.3 and SDK 1.40) and follow the same steps as usual, Steam doesn't register that the game is running when I test it with my steam_appid.txt. Updating my project to the latest version of MV didn't make any difference.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey Hudell! been a million years. Not sure if I will ever publish let alone publish on steam but I'm for sure checking this out when I do :)

burb

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
In addition to the issues on Windows 10, using the nw.js from Greenworks makes the game get flagged by anti-virus like mad.

Out of about 2,000 user installs, I've had 1,400 with anti-virus flags (McAfee, AVG, Norton, etc).

Deploying the game without nw.js does not make anti-virus software panic. So I know this plugin is not at fault, but it's worth noting this issue before you go deploying your game to users.

maxinm

Undermax Games
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @Hudell I can't make this plugin work with my project.
I've a Steam official game using the new Steam Direct, so the integration is Automatic, but i can't make it work. It always says User: Playtest, and it doesn't Activate achievements.

I'm using:
pixi.js - v4.0.3
rpg_managers.js v1.3.4 (and the other files too)

I followed the steps that you gave in your blog, but it does not work.

Can u help me please?

willoneill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi @Hudell - this plugin has worked fine for my Windows build by carefully following your instructions, but could you also provide instructions on how to implement it for an OS X version of the game? Or if you don't have access to a Mac, has anyone else found a way to do it?

I've tried doing what feel like the equivalent things, but with no luck. It is a bit different due to you having to change files within a package and what-not...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey there everyone! My laptop broke unexpectedly recently and I lost some files I hadn't backed up . . .
Pro tip to anyone looking for advice based on existing game mechanics: a lot of people reading your request won't have played the games you're talking about. Always assume your readers won't have, and explain what the mechanic actually *does* rather than just name-dropping the game. I see this a lot.
 …So I was looking at a question someone had asked and did some related experimentation. Apparently the Jump… movement route command works like the ultimate through. Including letting you move around outside the confines of the map entirely. o_O
Jump.png
Okay so today I heard the dumbest theory I have heard in a loooooooong while. It's so stupid I just have to share... Appearantly I have learned to draw 'hot chicks' so that 'real men' get physically excited by looking at it and I can then swoop in and 'turn' them.... Wow... Just... Amazing how some brains works...
Working on various unique plugins, as well as Knight of the Celestial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumo