Organic Overworld Maps using RTP

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by JardsonJean, Sep 24, 2019.

1. JardsonJean

JardsonJean Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Just recently I finished making an overworld map using RPG Maker MV. It has become kind of a hobbie to me. I haven't really made anything else in the software besides using the map editor, I'm sure I can't get a game done on my own. Since you're basically creating pixel art, I started experimenting and creating a few maps on my own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The video above is a timelapse of a 4 hour process in which I just sat down and "freestyled" a map from scratch on the editor. You'll be able to see how I went from the most basic shapes, to detailing and giving the map texture for a very organic look. It may not be pratical for a game, but I think that the ending result turned out great. I want to post it here for anyone wanting to use as reference for future projects given that the process itself is pretty straight forward.

atoms, Tw0Face and Starbird_Resources like this.
  2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very nice work! I love how the map somehow looks very organic despite using only a few different colors.

atoms likes this.
  3. Starbird_Resources

Starbird_Resources Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    your map looks fantastic! great work. this definitely exemplifies the notion that less is more.

Wavelength likes this.
  4. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You have a natural instinct where to place your geography. Jealous. I add one tile then zoom out, turn head sideways, make a "ehhh" face, delete it. Repeat 27 times then finally decide it looks right or not