Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup, @kimo you get the book with dragonscale gear in Etheral automatically from Lyla.
I'm playing with ideas on how to format such a guide right now. Levels are something I'll include, but it's kinda tricky the further into the game you get haha. Levels become less and less valuable; it's more about equipment, skills, and your team configuration. For example...
These were my levels after beating The Watcher (no, no hardcore achievement with this team! Close, but not quite. Ella was dropped by an unlucky roll on Demi-Dust)
Untitled.png
So while I can certainly suggest levels for areas, it becomes a gray zone very quickly. The level suggestions come from a rough guesstimate of what skills/equipment characters could potentially have at that point, and how viable a team config they make up. Of course, player freedom and choice comes into that; I can never assume players will play optimally, nor can I assume they've made the worst choices. If you only level up Mara's fire skills and try to battle Presipa, you're not going to have a good time, so you could be level 40 and still losing that fight. Or, you could have made the most optimal plays the whole game and end up beating Watcher at level 40.
When so much of the combat and team is customizable, creating a guide becomes tricky.
That's my problem to sort out though ^-^ I love a challenge, so I'm excited to start plotting out ideas.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I come across this one @Cythera (2nd chest below the clock) in the room.
sorry =) but you fix the other parts, will update when needed.

passable1.png

EDIT:
The place in Nailia, 1 stair before going down (on top) isn't diagonal downstairs
when you want to go down or up).

EDIT2: I think you want to laugh or cry here?
While I took the pictor at the house and in menu, both is the same)
when you need to get info in town after the ship burned down.
wrong.png

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ha, well, um...hm....
I think I'll both laugh and cry, thank you very much. I have never seen that happen!
I'll take a look into it, but it won't be anytime soon unfortunately. A lot of real-life stuff just happened and I'm exhausted, and I'm also getting burnt out in game development, so I'm taking a step back for a bit.
Honestly, unless it's game-breaking and unavoidable...it probably won't be patched for a while. Hope you can understand. I'll be back, but for now, I need a break - from everything haha :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's not game breaking, this is actually the first time I encounter it,
and if it doesn't happen by others, I might know what its causing it
by then.

in case your event is correct (it turned correctly after the cutscene with raptor
though, and the faces was of Mara itself too.

but it happen because I press Enter to speed throug the dialogue, sometimes
movement glitches, but not game breaking so far I know, but this is the first
time on my end, so take your time, no worries.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ha, well, um...hm....
I think I'll both laugh and cry, thank you very much. I have never seen that happen!
I'll take a look into it, but it won't be anytime soon unfortunately. A lot of real-life stuff just happened and I'm exhausted, and I'm also getting burnt out in game development, so I'm taking a step back for a bit.
Honestly, unless it's game-breaking and unavoidable...it probably won't be patched for a while. Hope you can understand. I'll be back, but for now, I need a break - from everything haha :)

To be honest, I have no idea what it takes to maintain the level of involvement you need to complete a game. Take time off as you need. We will still be here when you desire support. You have a lot of potential in game development and I think everyone else would agree. RL can drain people at times and is unavoidable. Just try not to let it become overwhelming if you can.

Also, I never got the Dragonscale book after meeting Lyla. Just an FYI at this point in your life. And the reaon I am good at catching spelling/grammar errors is that I was a proofreader for a newspaper for a short while in my early years. Great college job!

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To be honest, I have no idea what it takes to maintain the level of involvement you need to complete a game. Take time off as you need. We will still be here when you desire support. You have a lot of potential in game development and I think everyone else would agree. RL can drain people at times and is unavoidable. Just try not to let it become overwhelming if you can.

Also, I never got the Dragonscale book after meeting Lyla. Just an FYI at this point in your life. And the reaon I am good at catching spelling/grammar errors is that I was a proofreader for a newspaper for a short while in my early years. Great college job!
@Cythera - Absolutely understandable that the commitment to this game has become draining. Take all the time you want. You probably dream about these characters at night. :)
@kimo - I looked at my saved game from the end of the demo and there isn't a dragonscale book per se. The books are ironscale, goldscale, diamondscale and other gems with scales. I've gotten Nalia's relic and I'm working my way to Etheral. I'll post when I get the first _scale crafting book.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2 errors in Smolden (in spoiler, 1 typo "soliders" and passability issue
in the INN
TypoSoldiers.png

can be entered from the left and exit from the right.
Passable.png

here are 2 other minor issues (temple of flame closest) and status screen:
TempleofFlame.png

Mara icon is weird here:
status.png

as her character is like vincent and not mara's?

Another typo (begining instead of "beginning")

beginning.png

Btw, Most in bloomGale and the road to campsite (tree trunk (big one) still have the corner issue))
so when you continue, double check those other issues and passabilities, you might missed them
or didn't work the way like the flower on the edge of the cliff like in in BloomGale potion shop
which has that issue still.

Also Dark Curse suppoised to targetting ALL enemies, but it only target 1 enemy.

Most on my way to Thruale (verimine) is still passability issues
thruale.png

Sorry @Cythera for those :)

EDIT:
after you can have access to the travel map, I went to the factory, and the switch room
has a crate you go underneath it between switch 3 and 4.

There are some minor passabilites in the snow villiage once you first enter on the left house,
and also beat the demo, I can do some level ups for the average lv50 parts (lv 49 to beat the demo).
but fighting Lyla with 150k HP around was a tough one.

cant wait to continue further though if its compatable.

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alrighty, I'm back, and I recovered a slight amount of sanity haha.
Fixed up all those typos and passability issues! We all know there will be more, but I will try to limit them...
@kimo Sorry for the confusion; just in case you haven't encountered it yet while I've been away, the dragonscale armour is actually part of the 'Hunters' Book' for crafting. The other -scale armours have their own books.
@Lady_JJ Well, yeah, pretty much haha. Sometimes after a heavy day of writing, my characters do pop into my head during sleep haha...great inspiration. But sometimes I just want to sleep...
@ShadowDragon Thanks for pointing all those - ah-hem - oversights :yswt:
As for the big tree trunk one, it was intentional to have the top left and right tiles (the 'corners' of the trunk) set to star passability. But if it looks weird, I can change it.
The Mara sprite issue is, pretty funny actually haha. Sometimes I change the player image to other characters' for cutscenes, and I did that when Vincent wasn't part of the party; changed Mara's images so it looked like him. And evidently there was a loophole that never sets the images back. Will test it out, but I'm 99.9% sure I fixed it now - just enjoy the laugh :3
On Dark Curse, it is single-target for damage, then inflicts states on all enemies depending on your Brutality if it's high enough. I can see how the description could be confusing; I'll edit it, and add an animation on all enemies if a status effect procs.
Lyla is meant to be tough - and she still isn't fighting at full strength. As she says, she'd have to have a rather unhappy conversation with Micah if she fought (and destroyed) Vincent at full strength haha!
Were you able to beat your shadow dragon counterpart? And all Retheam Temple versions? I'm just curious how players find the difficulty level of the optional/hidden bosses.

I'll have an update in a few days to fix some issues and add a couple things that I wanted in the 2.5 version but didn't get around to thanks to burnout.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't find the shadow dragon part yet because hidden bosses is choice related?
and if it's in hte temple, I need to fight more to level up to find the shadow dragon
if the average level needs to be 50.

I might be to low level atm when I beat the demo but it took me 7 tries on Lyla to
beat her, on lv 49, because it's really tough one. but will test out the temple.

as for dark curse skill, I think you need to look around those in description:
Single Enemy, status on all enemies or around that to make it clear, specially
single enemy as dmg it.

did I miss something btw for the shadow dragon counter part?

@Cythera here is another passability (now your job how I did it.
which is in Danthorf Bypass
DanthorfBypass.png

also in drestler at the boats, you can go on the water, but there are alot more
which I dont mention though, easy to find if you look through them.

EDIT:
I did the temple of Retheam but a shame you cannot save in there, I had a hard time,
specially on the 3 enemies, but I got it barely but managed it, but it was damn hard.
not sure about the 70 Tallies? of what they exactly are though.
temple.png

will look into the shadow dragon counter part if you can give a direction?

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya Shadow, I'll check out the boat passability!
No saving inside Retheam; it becomes way too easy to softlock in there because of how I handle events and counters throughout the battles. Also, it's super easy to exit whenever you like; just spam attack on the next fight and I'm certain the enemy/enemies will help you leave quickly! :p
By 3 enemies, do you mean Rima, Aris, and Cher? They can be fun. In Hyper Mode, it becomes a 5 vs 4 fight. The strategy is to focus-fire down Aris first because of her auto-heal. Try not to inflict stat decreases like Defense Break or Magic Break, as Rima cures them and puts a buff in their place. Instead, bolster your own stats. Shining Aura from Squall is almost mandatory in this fight, and Divinity is nice too; stops Rima from applying all stat breaks.
The tallies are how I keep track of battles won; you get 10 tallies per battle won :) If it clears it up, I'll point that out in the temple explanation when you first talk to the guy.
For your shadow dragon, head to Spirel, Verity. If you haven't unlocked that area yet, just keep going South from Retheam. It'll be signposted. If you hit the mines, you're one map too far down. In Spirel, check out the south-most building and talk to the guard blocking the way inside. You can scare him away if you have high enough Brutality. Otherwise, you'll need to flip Difficulty Lock on, which runs a level check (65, I believe?) to move the guard.

Balancing question: was Retheam hard for you because you are doing a typical you and being under leveled and underprepared? Or did the balancing on it feel off regardless? Lady got through, so I believe it's your team setup. Or she's too nice to tell me off for the balancing :3

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Cythera
So happy to see you're back and that you're feeling less stressed. I've been playing a new game of Indy's on his Aldorlea site (so has @Lady_JJ). I'll be back soon. I just wanted to say "Aloha".

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got the best armor I can get and see how far you can be underleveled.
I needed to be level 52 on Vincent, Mara and Ella and squall level 47 to
get through.

but it also took me 2 tries to get through, so I had to think carefull and aim
for weakness and raise my own for dieing :) so I had to revive as well a couple
a times (alot). but it's nicely done if you ask me, higher level might be easier.

but to make it more intresting (I didn't do the hyper one or the other yet),
but if you are level 50, all of them are level 50 as well, if you are lv 65, than
all of them are level 65 too, which also increases their attack and hp.

a way to keep it nicely balance so underleveled or overleveled has low inpact
and more of a challange?

but I will check spirel again an see what can be done.

EDIT:
I cannot go through spirel which I couldn't get through, so I was on the right
path, but he wont let me through, so I need to level alot more to get pass him
or raise brutality somehow.

but also 2 issues, 1 passabilit (red line) and "?" of missing tree part?
spirel.png

Last edited:

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Keep it up Cythera! It looks like you're just about finished with the game. From what I've played, I'd pay for it. Take a break as needed and keep pushing. :)

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds good, Shadow; I'm glad the balancing is solid on my optional bosses :) Yes, you die - a lot - in Retheam. Even I do. One particular enemy in there, dying is actually a viable strategy to use against it haha.
Erm...it's the new fad? Tree-shearing? Or I remapped Spirel and forgot to fix the tree after redrawing the building walls?
I just checked and I was right! With Difficulty Lock on, the level check is 65! Yay, the dev can remember her own game :3
Brutality value check is 12. You can get a nice 7 Brutality if you turn in the half-bred child in BloomGale; though that's time-sensitive. If you didn't do it before you unlocked the fast-travel, then the child is gone and you miss your chance.

Thanks @Reinarc ! Good to see you're back too :)
And I wish I was nearly done ._. There may only be like 5 hours of gameplay left, but it's the most critical from a writing perspective. I need to get the conclusion perfect; the characters deserve this ending I have for them. I have no doubt I'll be rewriting the ending several times over before I'm happy with the execution.
Not to mention, I still have to balance the final boss haha! Just, don't look at the AI... :yswt:

Oh yes, I temporarily pulled the downloads from itch. There are, admittedly, some glaring issues with the 2.5.X versions. I'll put some blame on burnout and real-life, but some things I really should have caught myself. Rather than upload multiple small changes over 1-2 weeks, I pulled the downloads so I can work on it without worrying about players stumbling across something weird in-game. Also so I can add in the stuff I originally planned for 2.5.X versions but didn't have the sanity to complete.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Retheam is really hard, but doable when you figure out some strategy, so I think the battles are well balanced. I did start from the beginning again, but I loaded an old save (lvl 70) and followed the path to your @ShadowDragon. OOF! The good news is I can stay alive, the bad news is I can't make a dent. The lowest I can bring him down in one round is about 10K and he heals right up after. Definitely going to need some better planning and better equipment when next we meet. :)
Can you explain brutality? I can't find that stat.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi again @Lady_JJ ^-^
Yeah, dealing damage to Septimus can be difficult because of both his passive and his Oblivion Wings skill. You can't Defense Break him, but you can Willpower Break him - just be aware, unless he has an Immobile state, he'll cleanse 3 harmful states on himself at the end of every turn thanks to said passive. Aerial Storm is great for dealing lots of damage, just make sure you have a light-element weapon. If you have the spare MP/HP on Vincent, his legendary weapon can break the 9999 damage limit.
Another strategy, albeit longer and more resource-heavy, is to use an Ether Star and spam Salvation/Shield Guard on Squall, then convert all those shield points into damage.
Brutality is a variable I use to track choices haha. You can view it in Vincent's status -> combat guide; should be under his innate passive description. It's increased by doing mean things throughout the game :3

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi again @Lady_JJ ^-^
Yeah, dealing damage to Septimus can be difficult because of both his passive and his Oblivion Wings skill. You can't Defense Break him, but you can Willpower Break him - just be aware, unless he has an Immobile state, he'll cleanse 3 harmful states on himself at the end of every turn thanks to said passive. Aerial Storm is great for dealing lots of damage, just make sure you have a light-element weapon. If you have the spare MP/HP on Vincent, his legendary weapon can break the 9999 damage limit.
Another strategy, albeit longer and more resource-heavy, is to use an Ether Star and spam Salvation/Shield Guard on Squall, then convert all those shield points into damage.
Brutality is a variable I use to track choices haha. You can view it in Vincent's status -> combat guide; should be under his innate passive description. It's increased by doing mean things throughout the game :3
Couple of things re: v2.1 and v2.5.1 (I think I may be confusing 2.1 with a later version that I deleted)
v2.5.1 is really slow. Did you intentionally change the speed or one of those glitches you're working on? I have 'always dash' on but it's still painfully slow. With an earlier version I could consistently do the factory switch puzzle 9-10 times and an occassional 11. With v2.5.1 I can only manage 6. On the plus side, I was able to just barely make the supply closet puzzle in time. I lucked out and got a sequence that was mostly arrows with only 1 z and 1 x. This may also be due to the slowness factor.
I have a question that is totally driving me crazy. I found the Shade Scythe crafting book, but, for the life of me I can't remember how I got it. I've tried backtracking from a previous save, before exiting the Basalt Mine and landing in the campsite, but I still can't find it again. Can you please put me out of my misery and let me know where I have to go / what I have to do to get that crafting book. Thanks. (Bought it with my factory wages, duh!):)
Still trying to tie up any loose ends before attempting that dragon again. My brutality factor is 0 with a kindness factor of 19. Micah might be a little concerned Vincent takes after his mother a little too much! :)

Edit-Now that I've gotten the Shade Book, maybe I'll try taking on the dragon again.

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hiya Lady, 2.1 didn't have the factory or Septimus, so I have to assume you mean 2.5.0 to 2.5.1! :ywink:
And the answer is no; I didn't intentionally change any player movement speed. The only times I do this are during cutscenes really, so, looks like I'll be hunting through the newer cutscenes to see if a speed change is accidently forgotten!
Unless you're talking about a lag issue, which...scares me even more?
And oh gosh, you play much nicer than I do ._. I like the free stuff being mean gets you haha!

I'm doing some thorough playtesting right now; taking a little longer than I thought. Also, I had a hissy fit with some plugins and they had a hissy fit with me and each other and a future mechanic so it is looking like the next update will NOT have save file compatibility. Really sorry about that :/ Take it how you will; I'm happy to provide save files up to whatever point in the game you want, just be aware the team will be built my way and 100% under leveled.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Turns out it's not a difference between two versions, but two save files. I've been going back and forth and got a bit confused. So, the save file which I started way back when I first started playing and transferred to each new update, plays really nicely, even when imported to the v2.5.1 game. The save file from when I started brand new in v2.5.1 is the one that is slow. So it's definitely something in the save file and not necessarily a memory leak. I didn't notice the slowness until I started the factory switches puzzle, but even in the town the characters seem to walk more slowly. If no one else has reported this slowdown, then I'll just assume it's some weird thing on my end that would be difficult to replicate. No worries because it looks like I'll be starting over again when you're ready to release another update. For what it's worth, I reached level 70 by the time I arrived in Basalt, but I didn't do nearly as much grinding as I had previously.

I never purposely select the 'mean' option if I think it doesn't fit my perceived view of the main character. Maybe Vincent's kindness will be rewarded? No? No matter. We'll just see where he and the others go from here. :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still need to level my character or at least vicent to 56 to 65 in order to get
the other boss I cant go yet.

I didn't have time on it as well and I did alot of underlevel beating everything :)
but harder time if you want to be nice but brutality need to be up.

but I hope I get time this week to check the boss out, because I dont know how to
raise my brutality otherwise.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Feel free to check out our "Touch the Stars" gamejam submission, "Starlight, Starbright!"
just finished playing one shot. im kinda disappointed with return the sun ending ngl. i was hoping there would be some after credits scene that would play with my emotions
So apparently the surprise Google Search page browser game saves your progress when you close the browser.

This really makes me miss the golden age of Flash gaming.
ohh man im ending oneshot now (im doing the last stepping puzzle rn) and the music is so...sad...like...ive been thinking recently about how fast moments pass and...my anxious thoughts combined with that music and nostalgia...like...im comfortably sad...and want to cry internally
We're playing one of the Touch the Stars game jam entries, come join us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pliskin