RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow this thread really blew up since the first time I played the game. Good to see Origin Hunt's been getting the recognition it deserves. :) (I saw the Studio Blue playthrough btw)

I hope you can actually like, stick it out and finish the game @Cythera .

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Boy, am I feeling stoopid. I am stuck trying to figure out the Shrine of Shadows. I found the pillars, clock, read the riddle, and read this forum. Apparently, there are orb(s) I need to find and I have searched everywhere. Do I need to defeat all the visible enemies, too?

Help? Anyone? @Lady JJ?

BTW, I'm really enjoying this game and have a page of notes for later. This game should be sold at some point in the future.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kimo the pilar part can be hard, but really easy one if you know what to do,
wit hteh orbs, I wrote it down somewhere, so I cannot give you the answers
to that part, best is to start with blue one, place the one with mana I think,
the clock part is gray, but cannot remember.

when I found it, maybe I provide the solution, just switchs orb 1 by 1 untill your done :)

@Cythera I totally forgot the gameplay furhter for bugtesting (while I cannot promise
grammar part, just spelling mistakes when really reconized), I leave the gramma part
to peoples like @Lady_JJ which is much better in those, alot that she provided is something
I didn't know about it as well.

story writing can be on some part easy, to make it readable is a different story.
specially english spelling without checks (most times, it's the keyboard fault) =)

some people read over it, some are very critic on them, but if you can handle it,
you just become a better dev =)

When I got time around, I continue where I was left, cant say where I was though.
but I try to update before sunday when times allows it.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Boy, am I feeling stoopid. I am stuck trying to figure out the Shrine of Shadows. I found the pillars, clock, read the riddle, and read this forum. Apparently, there are orb(s) I need to find and I have searched everywhere. Do I need to defeat all the visible enemies, too?

Help? Anyone? @Lady JJ?

BTW, I'm really enjoying this game and have a page of notes for later. This game should be sold at some point in the future.
Once you've solved the riddle, the purple chests appear and they have the orbs.
The time is that of the 3 numbers given.
Once you've done that, search around again and find/open the chests.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Once you've solved the riddle, the purple chests appear and they have the orbs.
The time is that of the 3 numbers given.
Once you've done that, search around again and find/open the chests.

Thanks, I just couldn't get past the clock/time issue. Finding the purple chests requires you to be attacked by everyone, so I'm glad I explored the area first. I think I need to go buy some supplies before I enter the gate.

mahalo nui loa,
kimo

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, others are doing my work for me :3
@kimo What you've been told is absolutely correct; there's a clock hidden in the map that spawns five purple chests. Each has an orb, take it, place it in the correct pillar. You can't remove the orb if it's in the correct pillar, so you can just place them around until they can't be removed :p There's a boss on the other side of the gate with no surprise, so yes, buy supplies before entering haha.
I'm really happy you're enjoying my game so far though, and look forward to your page of notes!

@ShadowDragon Hey no rush. Give any feedback you want whenever you can :) As long as it's constructive feedback, don't worry about my feelings; I can take it.
*walks into the other room and cries. 'They're so mean to me; grammar is hard!!!' ;) *

Dagothe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds very interesting, downloading demo as I'm typing this, will definitely give it a go. Is there anything in particular you want feedback about?

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have been enjoying this game so much that I am not sure if I want to find the end..... (sigh).

@Cythera I started writing notes shortly after I started your game (ver. 2.0), since you seem to be so open to critique of your project. These are in no particular order and some were written in response to the postings of other people on this forum.

Fog/clouds in swamp (especially at night) seem excessive and will be a turn off (no buy) for some players with vision issues. Lots of players post negative comments about visual/dexterity challenges in other games, so I think it is worth sharing. Also, as a university administrator, I have always been aware of the “limitations” of some people and I think that is often not recognized by many people. *climbing down off soapbox*

Lockpicking task (following the symbols) will not be possible to accomplish for some players with dexterity issues. Should possibly not be speed related? Could an item/skill be found or acquired which would facilitate opening the lock? I almost just quit the game out of frustration because there was no explanation of how to use that skill for the first time. A timed sequence should always be avoided if possible unless you give people at least 2x the time most testers have needed to complete the task.

I personally like your choice of fonts with the slight serifs and curvature for reading flow.

Other than some spelling misteaks (haha!), your choice of grammar and use of semicolons is an author’s choice and I use them for speech pacing (sort of like the excessive use of parentheses being a choice).

I don’t agree with the “gypsy” comment someone made. In fact, people from the Origin region of the term gypsy even refer to themselves as gypsies. Don’t let the PC people of the world change your style. History cannot be white-washed (oh, crap! Was that racial? No. White wash is a painting technique applied to surfaces.) Everyone is entitled to their opinion (even when they’re wrong … haha).

Some battles take too long (i.e 4 enemies with 3000+ HP) to complete, so I find myself avoiding enemies and probably not leveling up enough.

Character status bars (HP, etc) are very thin in vertical height and don’t stand out. I realize this may be a function of some plugin’s fixed attribute, but larger bars would be better for visually challenged players.

Items acquired drift quickly upward on the screen and cannot be read. Is it possible to pause until “Enter/action” key is pressed? Someone else liked this and I understand. It just takes getting used to watch closely as the scrolling occurs. Maybe a larger and a more Times Roman-like font could be used?

There are many people in this world who have red/green color blindness to some degree. You should consider something like a text description (i.e. rare, unique, etc.) when describing traits of particular augments when crafting rather than expecting people to be able to see the difference between colors.

Putting (thoughts) in parentheses is an excellent choice and better than some other techniques I have seen.

Your use of expression icons made me chuckle many times, especially when the 4 characters had different responses to something said.

The game title doesn’t entice me, but I don’t have an alternative. I think how you write the summary/sales pitch will be the most important part of selling this game in the future.

Your world seems to have a very well defined history and timeline.

Setting augments as reusable is a good feature. It allows for more experimentation.

So many buff/debuff icons used, so there should be a chart that indicates what they mean. I have no idea what some of them mean.

Minimal or no enemy respawning. I have always thought this to be the best approach to leveling up characters. Just wipe out all encounters in each area and your character will be at appropriate levels for baddies like “Cerbie/Cuddles”. Unfortunately, some of the battles get a bit tedious in length so I had a tendency to avoid them when possible not knowing your design intent.

Vincent does not give the idea (graphically) that he resembles a monster in the least. What about any character (NPC’s included) would give them identifiable monster traits? I would think a half-bred character would have some residual trait (if even minor like a half-bred goblin with a bigger nose) that would give away multiple heritages. Although the probociscally-challenged folks in the world might take exception, nothing beats a good “honker” and the resulting possible comments.

I have enjoyed your humor and most recently Ella’s realistic conversation in baby-talk with Cuddles.

So far, your characters have been consistent which implies you have character definitions you work from. Do you use personality theory/temperament type when designing characters?

*in his best arnold voice, "I'll be baaaack"*

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~~I just uploaded Ver. 2.1 of Origin Hunt. It's a minor update that fixes the softlock issues that were brought to my attention here. And yes, some typo and grammar errors...~~

@Dagothe Nothing in particular; just your overall impressions. Any feedback you give is appreciated :)

@kimo Okay, I'm going to try to do this in a spoiler...if it goes wrong, please forgive me. I truly am helpless without my edit bar.
- *sigh* You're not the first to express distaste in the number of fog clouds. I can, and will, point out you can sleep at any inn to push the time to day and make it easier to navigate, but since it is clearly a common critique, I shall relent. The next update will have lowered cloud volume
- I apologize for not explaining the lock pick mini event thoroughly enough! I wanted to do it the least immersion-breaking version possible, so thought having Ella simply offer that small explanation would be better than a 'textbox tutorial'. I will try to make the event more coherent. Also, the combination does not change; it is NOT random. I can finish the sequence before even a third of the time goes by, so I believe it is at a reasonable amount of time for players, especially considering the sequence does not change. There are more lock pick mini events that are randomized, but they are not required for game progression
- Whether I agree with what has been said regarding the term 'gypsy' is neither here nor there to be honest - I absolutely do not want to step on toes, and I recognize cultural differences exist. Now, if someone were to tell me 'pancake' is offensive in their culture, I would certainly look strangely at that claim haha. But I CAN see the term 'gypsy' being touchy, so it was a 'better safe than sorry' call on my behalf. Removing it doesn't change my game, and it removes the possibility of accidently upsetting anyone.
- What enemies were you battling that seemed to have too high an HP? I find throughout the whole game, most random encounters are doable in 2-3 rounds. Maybe 4 if it spawned a set of powerful enemies with smarter AI than the rest of the enemies in the area. It is possible the curve went up too steeply (I suspect this was the shift from Kaldia to Verity you are referring to, but please, correct me if I'm wrong and I'll check out the enemy stats)
- The thin HP bars is both a plugin feature, and my choice. Could I edit them to be bigger, absolutely, though I do not want to take up too much screen space with them honestly.
- I believe I can make the item text popup stay on screen longer, and also increase the size of if too! I never considered it might be difficult for some to read in time. If you're ever in doubt of what you got, new items in your inventory are marked with a 'new' sticker on top of their icon. I get it's not ideal, so I'll see what I can do about making the text stay longer :)
- I'm not sure what I can do about the colour issue; you can edit the colour of the textbox itself in the options menu? But the colour system is deeply rooted in my project for identifying tier quality, so I fear I don't have a response for this one
- I'm rather fixed on the game title myself, though I'll keep your opinion in mind. I'm still trying to figure out game marketing myself for when it comes to writing summaries and pitches haha
- Oof, you should see my notebooks...I have 3 full notebooks regarding my game. I wrote out a full history timeline, complete with years, characters, etc. I'm glad my efforts are noticed and appreciated ^-^
- If you are talking about the buffs and debuffs on party members, you can press 'X' then 'Status' in combat, to see all party members and the states they're under. That way you don't have to memorize the icons!
- Enemies do respawn; the respawn timers vary depending on enemy and region. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the Verity enemies have a respawn of 5 minutes? Around that range. I can certainly lower that timer though, to allow more levelling
- Ahh, limitations of the character generator, and my refusal to make less-than-adorable party members :3 Vincent does have red eyes, and it's mentioned he has lil fangs, but that's all. I think anything more obvious wouldn't actually make sense story-wise; if he's so obviously non-human, why would he ever be allowed in towns? Right now, if he keeps his head down, he can pass for human
- On writing/story in general, I'm happy you're enjoying both of those thus far! :D To answer your question, no, I don't really use any of those personality trait lists or character profile tools. Designing characters just...comes naturally to me. I tend to start with general details that are known right away - age, gender, name, family. Then I build up history. I tend to inject one or two of my own personality traits into every character I write. Then I combine that with their history and that trait to decide how they have grown and what they ultimately act like now. One thing I do that helps me personally is to imagine that character in an everyday situation, like grocery shopping. How do they act, how do they go about buying food, do they interact with other shoppers, etc. I know all my characters' details and favorite foods and least favorite season, and though I don't make that info known to the player, it certainly helps shape that character's personality.
Seriously, writing characters is something I could make a 6-page essay on and just scrape the beginning haha.

Here's hoping that went into a spoiler :p
If you are where I think you are in-game, you still have...12 hours of gameplay available? No crushing ending yet, never fear! I hope you continue to enjoy my game. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to anymore you want to offer up!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cythera I got no problems to the clouds at day or night, some parts might be a bit
to hard to see, but if you want to keep it like that, change opacity with -10 to -20% of
current settings and see how that works, less opacity = also a very high improvements.

simple and yet effective, so dont lower the amount of clouds/mists.
but a swamp is sometimes hard to see, you can also make an item for it, so it looks
clearer when wearing some nightvision or some sort, as for vincent, it can clear thing
as he is a "pet" not sure if he can, but a skill to activate outside battle, for x steps
or x amount of time for clearer vision.

see what is best for you to set up and fit your game :). While I got no problem, those
are minor suggestion by than. (I hope I can continue the game for version 2.1.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Cythera
I didn't expect such a thorough response. Thank you.

My previous comment about Vincent not seeming too monster-like was based upon the fact that I did not notice his red eyes because I am red/green color blind in a very strange manner. On one of the eye color charts, I can see both numbers. I was made to trace both numbers as a kid because the doctor didn’t believe me. I can see red signs and the color red in general, but if you put a Stop sign in a certain color of green tree, it will not stand out like it would to other people. Just an FYI if you're driving around here and expect me to stop.

Yes, there is a change in Verity with monster troops. But, I am finding that certain skills/spells do more damage than I would have thought (especially with Ella). Some of the critters with 10k HP can get a bit hard within 4 rounds.

I have a question about the "Fascination" spell. At what point does Squall acquire Salvation Soul mentioned in a previous post. Since I haven't found any item for sale or and cannot craft something with specific resistance, that spell can wipe out the party if Ella or Squall has been inflicted. How do you get rid of the spell other than hoping the party gets hit by damage. I'd be willing to have another character hit them during their turn if I could.

I'm off to kick some doggy butt soon and my characters are at lvl. 18, so hopefully I won't have to restart more than once.

UPDATE: It took 3 tries to beat Cerbie, but I finally did it with no one dying. I am playing ver 2.1 and I noticed an interesting thing about Cerbie's HP
The HP randomly varied between 13,355 and 17,801. A 4000 HP variance could make or break the fight

@Cythera Apparently you are online as I am writing this.

I didn't get the feeling that the Salvation spell removed "Infatuation" so I'll go back and reread the spell description.

I did buy the rubber mallet that removes Confusion and have used that a few times. It is listed under consumables, but thankfully it stays in inventory after use.

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kimo Oh, that's interesting - I actually went to school with a guy who had a very similar quirk with his vision! He could tell when something was red and when something was (I think blue, can't remember exactly...we weren't close enough), but if you put the two colours near each other, he struggled to separate them.
Anways! Yes, Ella is a little powerhouse in the beginning! She can ignore defense at night with Moon Hunter, has 100% critical rate on slowed targets with her Speed Slice skills, and her passive can up her damage by a max of 45%! The trick for unlocking her max damage is synergy; using Squall to boost her Agility, and Mara to lower enemy Agility, and Vincent's Aerial skills to break enemy defenses.
In regards to the mentioned Salvation skill, Squall actually starts with that skill! It's his 100 Soul Point skill.
Infatuation is a nasty state; it and Frozen are the worst states in the whole game to deal with. If you get hit with it early on, your first priority should be either Squall's Salvation, or Alter Time - Accelerate. If you can't do that, have the team guard, especially if Vincent is infatuated. His passive can seriously work against you if you aren't careful.
Level 18 is a good place to be for the Cerbie battle. Some crazy person *cough* @ShadowDragon *cough* beat him at level 16 I believe it was. Good luck!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cythera Correction, lv 13 for beating Cerbie at lowest level possible :)
but lv 16 or higher is recommended for Cerbie

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is the battle with Presipa (the underwater Phoenix) considered to be a boss battle (like Cerbie) where everyone needs to be alive throughout the fight to get the ultimate goodie? If so, how the @#$@%$ do you beat that bird and keep everyone alive? It has a couple of spells that wipe out the entire party and even resurrects itself.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
XD
That's a...valid reaction to Presipa, @kimo ! She's intended to be 'that boss' in the game. Ya know, the one boss that every player hates.
Yes, she is absolutely a boss battle, and she has a Hardcore achievement associated with heer (it's the Bye-Bye Birdie one)
Recommended level: 30
Recommended equipment: Give Vincent your best equipment; without him, you cannot win this fight. Since Presipa is water and a magical attacker, Gold armour is great here. Big bonus if you can roll Water-Spec on some pieces.
How you fight Presipa will depend on how you built your team, but you should definitely have Ella's Stagger skill. It can buy you turns to heal/prep for the next attack. Water Wave, I'm assuming that's the skill you refer to that wipes you, has a 3 turn cooldown; keep that in mind and predict when it could come. Much like Cerbie's Dark Pulse. If you have Difficulty Lock on, Presipa likes to use it as soon as it comes off cooldown.
Otherwise, make sure you use Squall's Fallen Stars skillset to lower Presipa's Magic. That heavily cripples her damage output.
As for Presipa's passive, yes, it auto-revives her when she falls, and it bypasses SpiritCrush. If only you had a character who could prevent revives... ;)
Good luck against her!

Oh, and I just saw your previous post's edit, and that's a very funny thing with Cerbie's HP! I have fixed it; it was because the pupper Cerbie was a different enemy that transformed into Cerbie. Except, pupper Cerbie had different HP, so Cerbie's HP was randomized between the two values.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, so you'll definitely want all to survive. What are your levels? Mine were all level 30 at that point. They were also all equipped with at least either 1 regen+ armor or a healthy++ armor, a mixture of gold, iron and dragonscale. I also had plenty of hyper all-potions. My strategy each round
Ella soul: stagger alternate with skill: agile slice, but I also had her use a hyper all-potion whenever needed as a priority, she also packed a pretty good punch with her bloodthirsty and siphoning charkrams if the potion wasn't needed and her skill / soul needed charging

Vincent just cycled through his skills as they became available (heavy blow / charge / double strike)

Mara twister each round

Squall alternate fallen stars (make sure you start with this one) with mana wrath
If you don't have 4 or 5 hyper all-potions, enter into a few random battles and let Ella steal a few.

Edit: Ninja'd by Cythera, but who better to be ninja'd by? ;)

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like the dev is doing her job for once, instead of making players do it :p
Lady's strategy is perfectly valid; put everyone on damage and rely on good armour to tank and regen health. I just want to add, she either got lucky with an Armour Chest at some point or completed the 'Leg Day' achievement, as Dragonscale armour is not otherwise available at this point in the game.
Oh! And since I figured out how to do spoilers, @Lady_JJ ...
You have absolutely no idea how much I want to discuss your previous theory with you haha! I don't wanna spoil things for you, but ahhhh, I'm so thrilled someone is picking up on some abnormalities with that specific character! When writing it, I worried I was being too obvious, then I worried it was too 'dramatic/edgy' thing most players would just glance over and be like 'oh, the dev is throwing random hooks out, meh'.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have Leg Day achieved, so that must have been it. And I must have gotten really lucky when Leg Day was awarded because one pair of boots is Regen+ Dragonscale Boots. They help a LOT!
And I am very much looking forward to continuing this discussion at the appropriate time in gameplay. I have a feeling there's going to be some high level emotional charge let loose when these events begin to unfold.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cythera on the other version (1.2) which I have, the bidy can be betean on lv 21 XD
yes, I'm crazy, but most party members dies anyways.... (*cry*).

I go to the limit, but I want to test it on lower level when I get the chance if it's doable.
but I can say that it a tough fight on a low level. (if you rush through it). but I need to
play 2.0 version or 2.1 that I downloaded last and transfer the savefile (if it doesn't break).

but the game is nice, but I have 1 question (no idea if I ask this before).
you can get essence (dark, light, water, fire) or red, blue or however it was written,
but where do you get keystones to make those essence to whatever it goes to equip
them to armor, weapon or otherwise?

Because I didn't found any keystones yet (because I think, if you can get those, boss
battles and other battles become more doable or lower level (because of more dmg output).

but keep up the nice work, love the game still =)

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stop destroying game balance, @ShadowDragon ! XD Yes, I can imagine your team is constantly dying at that level lol
Save files should be compatible :) I did change some of the maps, so that's my only warning. If you available in an Inn, you're good as those maps are unchanged.
The key stones are for Mara's legendary weapon and are not currently obtainable. But keep saving those essences; you'll need 1200 of each for her weapon!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

forgot I drew Riley's message bust ages ago. They might be one of the most unique characters in the game so far.
37 years old...
What hath possessed me to start rapping, Lloyd only knows.

I think the worst part is, I am actually really good...

no... actually, the worst part is writing a song about bum rushing Gandalf to stop Frodo...
I don't even listen to rap.
Just finished v0.1 of FOSSIL. It's a plugin that lets you use MV plugins in MZ without editing them by making them use new functions.

I have about 40 plugins tested and working so far (including chrono engine and some other big ones). I hope that the community will pitch in and help improve it, so we can use all the old plugins in MZ. :)
I really lack discipline and find myself far too often giving into or at least seriously considering the temptation to start a new project rather than following through on a WIP that's no longer a shiny and new idea.

Does anyone have any strategies or tricks for making themselves follow through with things instead of doing this? Like that actually work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raven2155