Origin of Magic in your game world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonthefox, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Azurecyan

Azurecyan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Magic in my game is only NATURALLY accessible to a race of witches/wizards and a race called the Ahriman. They call upon an invisible energy from the world which they use to cast spells. No humans can use magic NATURALLY as their body is not in-tuned with this energy as mages and Ahriman are. When mages and Ahriman die, their energy and body is absorbed into the ground. Overtime that energy can turn into crystals that humans can use as energy, such as electricity, light, synthetic magic, daily use. These crystals are like batteries so they only have a certain lifespan. The brighter the crystal, the more juice it has.

In the current timeline, all witches/wizards and Ahriman have pretty much gone extinct(to the people's knowledge). The humans have been harvesting an unknown crystal they call Draodite which allows them to mimic magic like the ancient wizards of old. 

2. Balako

Balako PattyCake assosiation Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    mine is like this, everyone uses power of Spirit, its similar to blood, it circulates around the body, and give you basic functions.

everyone has it, even monsters...some more than others and there where "heros" and "bosses" emerge, higher spirit power gives you more power, normal peple with normal amounts would be farmers and shop keepers, people with high spiritual power divide into warriors and invokers (warriors and mages basically).

while this power could be trained (physical training and mental one) not many can reach high pinnacles to become warriors or invokers, but it can be increased with artifacts, which increase the flow of the power in your body.

guess thats about it >.>

3. Markus I.

Markus I. Master of None Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are two beliefs regarding magic in the world I developed. First one is that magic came through the "Arcane Fountain", a gift from the Gods to the mankind, no more explanations are given by this theory. The second one is a scientific approach to its existence, since it's a time where Quantum Physics has just been discovered, scientists are defining the magical capability as "ability of one to manipulate a certain field of physical quantity through 'energical' excitation", where "energical excitation" relates to a fifth essence that composes the Universe. Nonetheless, this ability is hereditary, which is to some, a proof that magic comes from an epigenetic origin.

Then all of this relates to the political scenario of that time where magic plays a major role, but then I'd be spoiling a lot from the game, so I'll leave the way it is.

4. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sound is my Magic in my world.

Music, your voice, vibrations.

The world was created by the Goddess's song. Through her and her husband, more Gods and Goddesses came and they created the natural races born from the Elements. Humanity was a special case, as it was a group project by everyone, pooling in all their resources. Thusly, humanity is the most versatile type of Magic User, whereas the other races can (usually) only use one Element, humanity can use all of them, provided they get proper training to do so. There are twelve different Elements in the world of Orchestralia- Physical, Fire, Ice, Thunder, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Darkness, Sound, Nature, and Spirit. 

While some Mages simply pick an Element and rank (Wizard, for example) and stick with it, others like my character Minuet, strive for some greater heights. The greatest rank a Mage can aspire is the Archmage. The journey to becoming Archmage is long and takes years of training, and most either reach a certain rank and stop there because they like said rank or they die somewhere in their journey. Thusly, Archmages are rare. But the benefits of being a Master of Magic is worth the journey. Mages can learn Fire, Ice, Thunder, Water, Earth, Wind, and Darkness.

While a good chunk of people are some sort of Mage, some choose a different profession with their Magic. Some become Priests or Priestesses. These folks use the Element of Light to heal and harm if need be, singing Hymns instead of speaking Incantations. Some learn Nature magic (Druids!) and/or Spirit magic as well. Nature magic is unpredicable, but useful as they can effect the environment. Spirit Magic allows for them to... do something involving ghosts that I haven't figured out yet. 

However, some take another approach to Magic. Some take the power of their voices and musical instruments and become Bards. Masters of Music and Story, these folks may not be able to shape reality with their songs, but they have the powers to enchant and distract their foes or make their ears bleed, heal their allies of their wounds and statuses, or just simply use their cunning to hide within the shadows and slip their fingers into someone's pocket. After all, they're just musicians and nobody would expect that, would they?

Some people don't use Magic at all, and simply pick another profession instead such as Knight or Archer. But those aren't important here.

If you're a person who uses Magic in this world, then Silence is one of the worst ailments you can suffer from, as it is unnatural to be mute or deaf in this world. In-universe it's possible for that curse of Silence to be so powerful that it's permanent, but that's rare and most likely not to happen unless you're either a deity or really powerful. In game however, it's just the typical 3-5 turns. Alto, my main character, is a Bard and due to childhood trauma, panics whenever he's inflicted by Silence. Admittedly, a Bard has a much easier time if they were permanantly Silenced, because they can at least still play their instruments. That doesn't matter to Alto, though.  

5. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In my game Haven magic is a mutation that appeared in some individuals following periods of extreme radiation. Because the radiation comes from inside and outside earth it's fairly inescapable, and magic is a really mild mutation compared to some others that have occurred, physical mutations like goblin-esque appearances.

In one of my others it comes from Mana, a substance that came from a parallel dimension.

6. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In Galiyuka magic is a psychic ability you can train like a martial art or anything else. The way you channel it might differ drastically from a discipline to another.
     Here are some :

- Egomancer : egomancers are mainly channeling magic through their over-inflated egos and passions. The more passionate and self-indulging they are, the more powerful their magic will be.

- Witches / Sorcerers / Mages (this discipline is called differently depending on the country you live in) : this is one of the most classic disciplines. Here magic is channeled through meditating about the material world. The more you become in phase with it, the more powerful your magic becomes. Depending on what aspect of the material world you focus, you'll be better at such or such type of magic. People sensible to technology will turn into techno-witches , able to disrupt mechanical contraptions, shadow witches who favor meditation at night and in dark surroundings will master dark magic (which is not to be mistaken with evil magic, dark magic is not evil in this lore, it's just another aspect of magic).
    - Necromancers : as it's name says it, this kind of magic is developped through meditation on death and developing a strong will to die. That's why you'll barely meet any happy necromancer and people can be wary of depressed people in some areas as this magic deals with breaking the boundaries of death , casting nauseating diseases and reanimating corpses which is, of course , not well perceived by non-necromancers.
    - Vitaemancers / Healers : The antithesis of necromancy. Through meditation on life and survival , vitaemancers can cast powerful healing spells as well as some of the most destructive ones if their life is seriously threatened. Few manage to become masters of this discipline. Some idiots think that "healers are always girls". While there is indeed a majority of women chosing this way, it is not because of sexism but because women give life through giving birth and are therefore eased in their training.

That's also why most of the most dangerous magic users in Galiyuka are women. Vitaemancers are the real deal. Don't mess with them. Don't assume their alignment is necessarily good. There has been pretty obnoxious vitaemancers in Galiyuka's history as surprising as it may seem. Even meditating on life can mislead a soul to do evil deeds through good intentions.

There are many sub-schools as well and the most common magic skills can usually be taught to anybody regardless of their training, especially minor healing spells.

Magic has a scientific explanation as well in Galiyuka through the fact that meditating awakens sleeping parts of the brain.

It also is a big part of Galiyuka's lore even though it's more of a "side-topic" in the main storyline.

Alexander Amnell and Balako like this.
  7. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I use an ancient style of viewing magic wheras a mage has won the favor/made a pact with a god or demon that performs the magic for them. So instead of the common mp-system I am refining some kind of favorsystem that the main characters use. The main problem at the moment is making the system not tedious and avoid the player just doing pointless tasks to gain favor.

8. CaptainSharkFin

CaptainSharkFin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The magic in my game is called Aether, and it's a commodity available to anyone who chooses to ingest its essence. It's derived from a discovery made about a century prior to when my game takes place. Rather than just being able to manifest into powerful spells, however, Aether has been put to use as a more practical source of energy for a wide variety of machinery and gadgets -- in one form or another, Aether powers everything man-made, from the devastation of firearms to the practicality of the train.

The use of Aether as a self-defense option began immediately after its properties were discovered. In the beginning, all it took was to break apart the stone containing its essence and mix it into a potion of any kind. In the more modern era, it's harvested through the use of more elaborate and specialized portable machinery that allows for storage of its essence. It began to serve a far more practical use around the quarter of the century when it was utilized to power the world's first engine-based sea-faring vessel. During the time my game takes place, Aether is used in practically everything.

9. Lizard19

Lizard19 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In my game magic just comes from plugins made by the developer of the world for the heroes, everything takes place inside of a computer simulation.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  10. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hah! Nice touch!

11. Aleks

Aleks Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In my game, magic abilities comes from the moon...sort of. Without spilling too many spoilers, I'll just say that the ability to use magic is hereditary and that there are two tiers total when it comes to magick casting. One allows complete access to energy from the universe to manipulate into physical spells, the other is a limited access to a pool of energy that allows a person to do certain small magical things.

I ain't no Robert Jordan when it comes to magical laws, sadly. :(

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  12. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
        In my game magic is technically hereditary but it also comes from making a pact with an otherworldly being. These pacts can involve varying degrees of symbiosis, parasitism or downright possession however this works both ways and is ultimately decided by the motivations of the pact-makers and their respective force of will, so that while it is possible depending on the circumstances for the magic-granting spirit to completely take over the actions of their host in defiance of the pact (the exact terms of which are worked out between them beforehand), it's just as possible if the host has sufficient willpower to ignore their part of the pact and relegate their 'partner' as nothing more than a power source.

The problem with this power struggle is that it comes at a sacrifice of power on either side, the more symbiotic the relationship between the two the more power can be manifested through that link, while the more parasitic the relationship, while relegating control to one side the spirit's ability to touch the world humans exist in dwindles.

As for the beings that grant magic their motivation for doing so can be diverse but boils down to the common thread of wanting to experience a world that still has chaos within it. They themselves have evolved beyond physical needs and simply exist. After many lifetimes lacking the simple motivations of survival that drive lesser beings they've grown bored with their stagnant existence yet because of their nature they are unable to bring forth any type of change within themselves, lacking the emotional tethers that drive lesser beings to act on their disharmony. Thus what they get out of the relationship more than anything else is entertainment, a viewpoint into a world of chaos that breaks up the monotony of their own existence that simply is and cannot be changed. They can't die, they don't suffer and as a result within their own world they are bleak and unchanging, but by making pacts with human mages they are granted a window into a world where chaos still exists and where survival drives the living things within to extremes that they themselves could never fathom yet find fascinating

Second generation mages and beyond benefit from pacts made by their ancestors, however at a diluted level and a tradeoff. Since the offspring weren't actually involved in the pact itself the spirit cannot interact with them directly as they could with their parent, but on the other hand from the birth of the second+ generation mage until their death the spirit has direct access to the world through them, and they manage a certain level of subconscious influence over them because of this that means that while the new mage doesn't have to worry about being directly influenced or controlled by the spirit using them as a sort of interactive television and oftentimes may not even be aware that such a being even exists at the same time growing up they tend to mirror the spirit they are host to. Essentially the spirit is a part of their pactmaker's prodigy that to them appears completely natural, and mage families thus tend to have defining dominant personality traits that for the most part stay consistent from generation to generation.

None of this information is common knowledge within the game world, and in fact the idea of making a pact with these spirits is generally stigmatized as evil by most people; whether they are normal, uninfluenced humans or mages who believe that their abilities are purely hereditary, unaware that somewhere in their family tree is one who became a mage through such a pact or that that very being that the pact was made from continues to watch the world through their eyes and touch that foreign world through their actions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
    Wavelength likes this.