Original Character Contest II!

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by RPGMakerWeb, Aug 8, 2019.

1. RPGMakerWeb

RPGMakerWeb Admin Staff Member Veteran

First Language:
    RPG Maker
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

To celebrate our huge Summer Sale, we're bringing back one of our most successful contests, The Original Character Contest!

Make your own unique character known to the whole community! It could even be the face of RPG Maker Social Media for the next year!

Submission Dates (PST): August 8th 2019 – August 28th 2019 11:59PM

Voting Dates(PST): August 29th 2019 - September 4th 2019 11:59PM
    Finalists Voting Dates (PST): September 5th 2019 - September 11th 2019 11:59PM

About

Thanks to the Character Generator tool for RPG Maker MV, there are a plethora of options at your disposal to create a genuinely unique and interesting character.

For this contest, we want you to share your original creation - including their personal background!

You must use RPG Maker MV for this contest.

Submit your entry here

●Participation Prize

A new event-badge will be given to all participants.

●For winners●
    • A forum event-badge which is customized with YOUR character!
    • Face/bust graphics for top 5 winners’ character will be made and released on RPG Maker Web as a free DLC.
    • The bust image of the character that has the most “Likes” will be shown as the profile image of the official RPGMakerWeb Twitter, Facebook, and Forum accounts.

●Details●

Submission Dates: Today-2019/8/28 11:59PM Pacific

Each submission must contain the following to be considered:
    1. A set of 12 frames for walking character sprite.
    2. A set of 3 frames for damaged character sprite.
    3. A set of 54 frames for side-view battler.
    In addition, you may add a short game highlighting your character. This game should be a quick, one sitting game. This portion is optional, but may help you in the overall rankings in the end!

●Entry Template●
    1. Character name:
    2. About your character: background, characteristic, personality, etc:
    3. Skills (if any):
    4. Credits for users to use your work: (e.g. [Copyright](C) Degica, Co. LTD)
    5. Materials you used: (if you used something other than the standard RTP)
    6. Tools you used: (if you used something other than the standard RTP)
    7. If original content is used, please add conditions of use: (Please indicate permission for condition 1 or for condition 2)
    • Condition 1: User-created / Your original resources, and allowed to use/modify/release alone/sell
    • Condition 2: User-created / Your original resources, but not allowed to either use/modify/release alone/sell
    In addition, if you are uploading a Sample Game of your character, place a link to it at the bottom of your entry.

●How to submit●
    1. Click “Upload a File” to upload your 3 images.
    2. Click “Full Image” below the images you uploaded to embed them.
    3. Write required explanation using the entry template shown above.
    4. Click “Post Reply” to post your original character.
    If you are uploading a Sample Game for your character, it will need to be uploaded elsewhere and linked in the entry.

●Terms and Conditions●
    • You may not use resources and DLC sold in the RPG Maker Web store or via Steam.
    • You may only use user-created resources that are available for modification and commercial use. Proper copyrights and/or credits must be included in the entry, as shown in the entry template.
    • You can use your own resources, but you must include copyrights and/or credits following the entry template.
    • You may not create a character that infringes on third party copyright or trademarks.
    • You reserve the right to delete your entry even if it has already been posted and voted on.
    • You may edit your work and/or the description after posting (we may contact you for confirmation if the character has changed significantly since the original posting).
    • Submissions including adult materials such as extreme violence and/or nudity will not be accepted.
    • You may tell your friends to vote for your post even outside the forums (such as on your personal social media) but you may not create threads or status feeds asking for likes or promoting your entry. Please keep the forum rules on advertising in mind.
    • Only one character/entry per person is allowed.

●Handling of Submissions●
    • Users may use your assets (including personal background) to create their own game created with RPG Maker products and post, release, and/or sell that game.
    • Solely used for the creation of your own original game, participants may edit, process, and modify the materials posted for this event.
    • Applicants may not sell the RPG Maker assets themselves (even if they were processed, edited, or modified)

An applicant’s submission of an original character shall serve as an agreement to all conditions listed above. Any re-posting of the contest details must give proper credits in the description.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2019
    Marquise*, Corlagon, PhxFire and 5 others like this.
  2. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice!
    This was a really fun contest the first time, so it's great to see another round of it! :kaojoy:

Most likely I won't be able to participate this time, but I will look forward to seeing all the unique and awesome new characters created and shared! The new option to make a short game for the character is also really cool. :kaopride:

Also- for clarification, in this second contest all entries must comply to MV's asset standards and all entries should be compatible to MV this time around, right? No VX Ace entries? The VX Ace generator is still mentioned in the 'About' section, which is why I'm a bit confused.

3. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, do I need to use the character generator...?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does this refer to generator parts or just whole characters purchased in the web store and Steam?

5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lilly No, the winner from last year made their character from scratch.

@Frogboy As the winners will become part of a free DLC, we can't allow using paid resources in it. So no paid generator pieces.

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for catching that for me... I editted from last years rules and I missed that. Yes everything must be MV.

SmashArtist likes this.
  7. Artille

Artille Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great news!

I had alot of fun with the first contest, I might try again. :ywink:

Good luck to everyone who participate and have fun. :kaopride:

Eliaquim likes this.
  8. Corlagon

Corlagon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Are we to create a completely new character for this? Or can we put up an existing character (if we don't mind other authors adopting them)?

I might decide to showcase someone from my current project. Or perhaps recreate that cool City of Heroes character I came up with last month …

9. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It doesn't have to be a new character. As you said, as long as you don't mind other authors adopting them. :)

Corlagon likes this.
  10. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I may actually do this one! I say that for alot of things...but really want to try and earn a badge. I've been here a long time and havnt done it O_O and character art is kinda my thing.

11. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was planning to add my own bust or a face(set), because when it's my character, I feel like I'm obligated (self-rule) to draw my own, otherwise, it doesn't feel like it's my character, but I don't think it's necessary?

Not that I'm expecting to win tho :D

12. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure if I have the time available to participate but I do have ideas and I will start working on them anyway XP I specialize in cute, hopefully that won't be a problem.

13. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure I understand correctly: we need to use the generator to create an OC but we might add custom parts as long as they are ours or free for use.
    We can't use our own style in them (as in making the character taller or making a full body bust), it has to fit the rtp. Is that right?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  14. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't have to use the character generator, you can make it directly in PS/Graphics editor of your choice, but it does need to fit the MV style.

15. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Does the Kadokawa/KDKW resources count as Steam-bought resources? If they're allowed, I think I can join, if not, then I can't. My character's identity are pretty much based around some of those resources.

16. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only bought resources you can use are the ones that are included in the base game.

17. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    FINALLY FINISHED~! Awww... I wanted to at least participate to one event here this year despite being between extermination days and doctors appointments. I just regret to not had the time to do a face set. Hope folks have fun with my animation trip and...

Thank-you VERY MUCH for hosting this. I needed a creative adventure/challenge for so long. And couldn't do much. :kaoluv:

Eliaquim, Matseb2611 and Mrs_Allykat like this.
  18. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last year's version was fun, and I'm glad I was able to participate again. IRL was not agreeable for me, but I managed anyway :)

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Mrs_Allykat likes this.
  20. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Member

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A