RMMV Osagai [Zeldalike Deckbuilder] *Updated July 15th*

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Fireworker, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Fireworker

Fireworker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    February 14th, 2019

Valentine's Day! We've been taking a few days off to brainstorm, discuss plugins, and practice pixel art so nothing new to add this time around! We're looking forward to adding more to the map and showing a completed introduction sequence next time!

2. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    February 21st, 2019

[​IMG]

Recent Progress and Updates

• We've hit 25% Overworld Completion! That's 1/4 of our initial goal complete, so we're feeling pretty pumped. We've updated the original post with the up to date Overworld. We decided to diversify and work on the northern parts of the map, including the final area. A bit of a spoiler, but we're happy to start filling out the entire map.
    • We now have Multiple Deck Slots for the Card Battle System. You can now rotate between 4 Decks at the touch of a button.
    • We have a composer! We're discussing how to design the soundtrack but it's looking very promising!
    What's Next?
    • We're designing the complete Card list for the game, and we've reached a 200 card count. There will be 50 Weapons, 50 Spells, 50 Equipment, 30 Items, and the final 20 cards will be for something special; we're hoping to get Community Designed cards into the game!
    • We're focusing this month on completing the Overworld. We want to be finished the entire Overworld, and most of the sub-cave systems by the end of March.

NinjaKittyProductions and Jayje like this.
  3. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    February 27th, 2019
    [​IMG]

Recent Progress & Updates
    • We've progressed further into the Overworld Design (33%) but have taken a break from working in engine as we prepare to leave for a week or two for spring break. We plan to do a lot of notebook work, but when we come back we're looking forward to sharing what we have.
    • Still discussing with the RPG Maker Speedrun community on streamlining and facilitating. A lot of things to take into account, but it's very fun to have this in mind.
    • We are debating removing the RPG Maker MV "Console" border but we're not 100% sold on that yet. We'll try and have a poll up with our three options.
    What's Next?
    • A lot more to share when we come back from Spring break (Around March 10-11-12)
    • We're prepared to perform some of the combat testing on paper as we travel thanks to the power of index cards!

Jayje likes this.
  4. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Liking the look of this! Those are the Awakening assets from Sodacoma, right? Fantastic tileset, something I'm using myself for one of my projects. I'd say keep the console around the screen edges, it adds a wee something but I would personally change the RPG Maker MV text to something more personal to your game. Unfortunate as it is, facts are facts, and RPG Maker games don't have a great reputation. This doesn't look like your traditional RPG Maker game so drawing attention away from that might sell people who don't play RPG Maker games on principle (and there are a fair few out there). Still, liking how it looks, I'll be following this for sure!

Fireworker likes this.
  5. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I agree with onipunk, I'd make up your own fake name for a console. Could be clever, funny, interesting, tongue-in-cheek, whatever.
    That said, I look forward to seeing more from this project. Looks great so far!

6. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @definite_lee : I'll take into consideration then! Thanks for checking out the project. Progress has been slow due to getting a new work contract but I'm working on it offline, day by day.

===

Wednesday, April 17th Update: Road Map and More

It's been a bit of a while since I've done an update, but I wanted to touch base with Osagai's followers.

As you may have noticed, development has slowed down some since March, and that's due to a new work contract that I was happy to obtain.

Therefore, I had to reschedule my original estimations on when certain aspects of the game would be finished. Now that the contract's underway however, I'm able to balance my time once again.

First of all, I want to share my timetable for this project. It is by no means binding and is subject to change, but it's a guideline I'm aiming to follow:

• April to June - Complete the newly designed Overworld: We've cut down the Overworld to an 8x8 Map, meaning we've dropped from 100 maps to 64. This lets us keep a compact, but exciting overworld with reduced backtracking.
    • July to August - Complete the Seven Dungeons plus Overworld Bonus Areas: With summer having a lot more free time, our objective will be on finishing the Dungeon maps for all 7 of the game's dungeons as well as all the nooks and crannies you can find on the Overworld. At this point, the entire game will be mapped out.
    • September to November - Complete the Card and Encounter Designs: By the end of November, we're looking to have every card design finished, and every encounter balanced.
    • December to January/February 2020 - Polishing Stage: We're committing two months to the polishing stage. This includes finishing up the OST, getting the last of the graphics commissioned, playtesting, etc. There's a chance we push into March, but we're hoping we won't have to.
    Of course, we work on a bit of everything as we go, so there's always a chance some objectives are met earlier/later than expected.

As we near a more finished state, we also want to allow community designs for both cards and encounters. We have a Coliseum type stage planned where we're hoping we can showcase community designs. Again, more on this in the future.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Jayje and definite_lee like this.
  7. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sunday, April 28th

upload_2019-4-28_19-14-41.png
    • Slowly picking up steam again. We're beginning completion on the revamped and smaller Overworld.
    • Our composer has finished the first pass at the Title Theme music, just one of around 20 pieces composed for Osagai.
    • Database entries are being worked on, with cards being tested for any bugs or errors.
    What's Next?
    • Slowly stitching together the rest of the Overworld. Due to the new size of the maps, it's become too lengthy to keep updating a "Progress Map" using actual screenshots, so we'll simply update it as a Table.
    • Currently starting to seek out potential pixel artists to help with the Battle Backgrounds, Enemies, and Icons.

Jayje likes this.
  8. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sunday, May 12th
    upload_2019-5-12_20-26-32.png
    The pruning continues! We've cut down the Overworld one more row and column to make it a 7x7 Overworld composed of 49 individual maps. The maps are larger since we've cut away the Gameboy-esque border; 10x10 (100 tiles) vs the regular 17x13 (221 tiles). This has allowed us flesh out the maps more as well as condense the areas.

We've continued to rework the original Village (and it has a name now too) to fit with our vision of the Overworld.

• Overworld cut down to 7x7 (49 screens).
    • We've worked and tuned the combat system more and finished the preliminary pass at damage calculation, leveling, etc.
    • We're at 3 finished tracks out of 20 or so.
    What's Next?
    • Keep hammering away at a first pass of the Overworld and hopefully finish that as soon as possible. Early June would be amazing.
    • We're trying to get our battle UI all tuned up, but we probably need to commission someone eventually.
    • We're aiming to commission a pixel artist for Osagai for a variety of requirements (Map, Sprites, Battle Sprites, etc.)
    Screenshots
    upload_2019-5-12_20-30-39.png
    The northwest side of Veld, right before you enter Echo Woods.

upload_2019-5-12_20-31-7.png
    Placeholder graphics to show a mock up of our current Battle UI.

Jayje and Kvothe like this.
  9. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sunday, June 2nd

upload_2019-6-2_9-14-40.png
    Progress continues on the Overworld! We're back to 12% completion with 6/49 Overworld maps completed (first pass). The introductory cut scenes are also progressing well and we've revised the story outline a second time for a better flow.

The soundtrack continues to progress with 5/20 projected tracks having a first pass completion. We've also commissioned a new sprite for Osa from a talented local pixel artist and we can't wait to be able to show you. It's going to be a big surprise.

Not much else to say Mapping/Asset wise but for those of you who like numbers, stick around for a brief discussion on progression and battle design.

Atypical Progression
    Osagai was always going to have a different progression than most other JRPGs. With no "Stats" to speak of, progression takes on a different form. Rather than have combat prowess tied to stat increase due to leveling, in Osagai your strength is measured by your Deck's Card Points. Osa begins with 15 CP, meaning they can have 15 Lv1 cards equipped.

Cards can have 4 varying levels: 0, 1, 2, and 3. The higher the number the more effective the card is. For instance, the Base Damage dealt by a typical attack card deals 5 damage at lv1, 8 at lv2, and 12 at lv3. Eventually, replacing enough cards in your deck will increase your overall damage output, magical abilities, healing capacity, etc.

As such, rewards are quite diverse in Osagai. Combat rewards will usually grant you one or more Experience Shards. Every 10 shards grants you a full Card Point, increasing your deck's capacity. Overworld and Cave exploration rewards may also yield Shards, and in very rare cases, an automatic Card Point.

More often than not, rewards also include a new card to add to your deck. You will have Lv2 and Lv3 cards early on so you will need to make critical choices as to which to include. As you progress in Experience, you will be able to add more and more high level cards.

Beyond cards and card points, Osa also increases in Health, the only visible stat that progresses throughout the game.

What's Next?
    • Osa's new sprite!
    • Continued Overworld Map progression.

Jayje and Kvothe like this.
  10. Fireworker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Monday, July 15th
    And we're back with another substantial update. Work's done for the summer, commissions have gone out for new art, and we're getting stuff done!

First and foremost, we have a few major changes to announce.

New Characters
    Our dear Osa, also known in house as Mr. Generic McFace has been fired from his old job of being the hero of this tale. We always wanted a custom character but thanks to dsiver's hard work in getting the plugin updated, and bis1994's hard work in getting some cool new custom art done, we can finally announce that Osagai will have 3 playable characters.

[​IMG]
    While we don't have their names settled, feel free to simply call them Red, Blue, and Yellow in the meantime. These three new characters fight at the same time, and that means each has their own unique deck of (currently 10) cards to use in combat. Since none of them are locked to a class to speak (despite appearances), you can customize and build them to your heart's content.

On the Overworld, you can choose which of the three to play as and can change this decision at any time. We are currently looking into making this a simple menu option.

Enhanced Combat
    With three characters, comes an even greater combat system. Now that you have a total of 3 decks to work with (currently 10 cards each for a total of 30 cards), we've been able to design cards meant to interact with the other characters.

Each of our heroes begins the game with a single Action per turn, but you're free to choose the order in which your party acts. After resolving your party's attacks, then you can pass the turn to the opposition.

On top of that, dsiver has also done some great work in making the plugin compatible with Yanfly Battle, meaning we get lots of neat utility and options.

Community Designs: Monsters and Cards
    As you may have heard, we're reserving a special area in the game currently called the Ring of Teeth and Claws. It serves as the typical Arena encountered in many a JRPG game and houses a vast array of encounters to test your heroes with beyond the main story.

We wanted to do something special, so beyond being a home for the encounters we've designed that have no room in the main story, we want to open the Arena up to the community.

While we aren't ready to accept them yet, as we near release, we'll release a submission form that allows any community member to submit a monster that can be faced in the arena.

On top of that, rewards for defeating said monsters will be in the form of cards designed by the community as well. Currently the Arena monsters we've designed give cards that give shout outs to popular RPG Maker games, or ones that we've played in the past and enjoyed.

So stay tuned for more, just know that it's coming!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    atoms, dsiver144 and Jayje like this.