RMMV Osagai [Zeldalike Deckbuilder] *Updated Sep 22nd*

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Inspired by classic games such as the GBC era Legend of Zelda games as well as my deep love of collectible card games, OSAGAI merges both genres into a love letter to those two genres.

Take on the role of three champions summoned to the Isle of Auldrin. With an arsenal of weapons, spells, items, and armor, our heroes will traverse the Isle to recover the four Elemental Essences in order to cleanse Auldrin's patron deity from a terrible curse.

Delve into seven unique Dungeons, travel through a vibrant Overworld, challenge unique foes designed by the community in the Ring of Teeth and Claws, and hunt down every last Card to prove you are worthy successors to the Cartomancer name.

Osagai is well on its way to a Q1 2020 Release. Stay tuned for more!

upload_2019-5-12_20-39-3.png

Explore the Overworld, hunting down new cards, fighting off bad guys, and searching for ancient dungeons!

Delve said ancient dungeons, solving puzzles, vanquishing foes, and recovering the Elemental Essences!

Collect and Battle with over 200 cards in Osagai's card based combat. Combine cards to form powerful combos, seek out the very best weapons and armor, and face off against some of the toughest foes in the Arena to earn community designed cards!

Overworld Map Progress [43%]

Last edited:

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would love to playtest this!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to playtest this!

I'll definitely let you know when I'm at that point then! I will probably release a Deckbuilding Demo just to get all the cards playtested before implementing them into the actual game. They won't all have art yet probably but it's a small price to pay.

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
All good, that's what playtesting is for. Mechanics, not graphics :D

Exie

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I will waiting for this demo *-*

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will waiting for this demo *-*

Aw thank you Exie! I'll make sure to work on it promptly. I'm really making sure all the cards are balanced.

Working with small numbers is tough when even a simple difference between say Short Sword (ATK) versus Mythril Sword (ATK +1) is pretty big. Making sure that there is a good progression as you upgrade your deck but not to the point where all your old cards are useless. Quite a fine line indeed!

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, for sure. In my game, all weapons have the same base attack power (or double, for 2 handed), and that gets modified by attachments and stuff that improve, so that even your starting gear is useful for endgame.

I opted to go with a base of 100 instead of 10 for exactly this reason - it lets me have 10x more control over attack progression.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty much even lower than Base 10. In fact, if you manage to reach a 20 in terms of weapon damage/ 25 for magic damage, that means you're doing pretty good.

Rootbound was a big inspiration for this project and it also is the project that sold me on using Time Fantasy tiles. Your characters do get above the expected stat curve too quickly for my tastes but the Deck System in Osagai means you need to work for those gains in fights rather than just being able to steamroll encounters. Fixed level up points also help shape the map and allow me to create a natural progression. You can always explore beyond your "reach" and you're incentivized to try but the challenges should be noteworthy until you meet the right level.

AmazingKazuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love Time Fantasy and I like the idea of a card battle system. If you can sign up for a demo, put me down! I'm very excited to play this game.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love Time Fantasy and I like the idea of a card battle system. If you can sign up for a demo, put me down! I'm very excited to play this game.

Demo's going to be released to everyone so just stay tuned right here.

UPDATE:

Currently working on fine tuning the 5th Overland Map out of 64. This is area F3 - Southern Grove.

The small ledge where the placeholder protagonist is standing is actually a spot you'll get to only much later in the game. Osagai has plenty of curtained off spots like that one that you'll have to find.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

F4 - Western Shoreline - Forest Entrance

The multiple "cliff faces" can be climbed where the rocks show up and allow you to maneuver between maps at many different "heights". Essentially, you'll be able to move across maps but into different areas.

It gives a fun sense of exploration and makes you want to retrace your steps to eventually find all your missing cards.

Going to update some more lore soon, so stay posted!

I know the maps are quite bare, but I'm trying to keep them lean and clean for now, much like a Zelda map. Enemies will be present in these areas too so there will be that.

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 19TH: Added new images and revamped card designs to the original post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OSAGAI DESIGN 101
The following Spoiler contains plenty of useful information on Osagai's Design.
Each card type in Osagai was designed with a unique objective in mind. If you've skimmed through some games and threads before, you'll see a (thankfully) ever growing thread of games and devs focusing on making combat much more than just "Attack" and spamming the highest powered spell you have.

While there's nothing wrong with skill progression, Osagai attempts to eliminate a byproduct of usual level-based skills; Skill Bloat. Skill Bloat is what happens when your characters have so many skills that you end up just not using most of them.

Some of my favorite games have been on both sides of this issue. For example, Kelarly's Castle Oblivion/Feral Dreams/Passage of the Hollow Moon games have a typical "Gain a Level > Get Better Ability" progression and the correct call is to usually use the strongest ability until your MP runs out and then quaff an Ether. Typical JRPG fashion, and nothing truly wrong about that, but we can do a lot better.

Indrah's games, and particularly Rootbound which inspired Osagai immensely, takes a different approach. Characters have a small subset of skills and each skill does a very specific effect. Some aren't used as often but are there to provide alternative approaches. I appreciated the ability to customize the characters and there was no skill that I didn't use at least every so often. While certain skills were used more frequently, nothing felt useless.

When building Osagai, pencilcase27's script was the starting point. I'd found the script a long time ago and had blasted out a quick game proposal. I was originally going to go full on CCG themed and have a very MTG type game where you'd buy cards from boosters and etc. While this isn't that game, working with the script gave me plenty of new ideas that found their way here.

I mentioned that there are different card types in Osagai. To make it even more clear, each card type does something different than the others.

Weapons
Weapons are your "bread and butter" so to speak. If you were to imagine a classic RPG Maker game, Weapons would be your ability to spam the ATTACK option. You can use a single Weapons card each turn but it costs you no Ability Points to use. In true RPG fashion, your starting "Sword" cards are pretty low on the power level curve. But as where you'd usually be equipping better and better weapons on your character, in Osagai you will slowly replace Swords one at a time with weaponry that are only slightly better.

Sword itself simply deals damage equal to your attack. And throughout the game, you can decide to just use Swords. There's no penalty for it. But every weapon you'll find will always do slightly more than the basic Sword card.

Where it gets tricky is that every other Weapon is about equal to itself. You have Weapons which have an element (Fire, Ice, Storm, Light or Dark); a common staple among rpgs.

But then, most other Weapons have only a % chance of having an additional bonus. Some might inflict status effects, draw you a card, regain 1 AP, gain you some health, etc. All of that at a % chance and not a guaranteed hit.

While some players may balk at the idea of using abilities which do not automatically succeed (and curse at the RNG Gods while they're at it), that's not what Weapons are for. Weapons are there to allow you to push Damage every round with the added bonus of sometimes/usually doing a little bit more.

Spells

When you 100% want something to happen, be it set your enemies ablaze or inflict virulent Wounds, you turn to Spells.

Spells are distinct from Weapons in that they will cost AP to use but are not limited to only once a turn.

Spells are used for the following purposes:

• Supplementing your damage output. A single Weapon swing a turn is all well and good, but when you can also launch a fireball, your damage will usually double up.
  • Targeting elemental weaknesses. Spells are usually elemental in nature, and the right mix of them can make sure enemies with a weakness for a particular element bite the dust that much quicker.
  • Deck based effects. Drawing cards, recovering used cards, searching for a specific card or card type, shuffling, reordering the deck, etc. There's a lot to do here.
  • Combos. Spells are like pieces of a puzzle. Beyond the basics, spells can apply Marker states to opponents or to yourself, boosting other spells you use. (More on Marker States later) For example, Scorch deals basic Fire damage but deals an additional 2 damage if the opponent has the Fire Marker. Many skills also have a Follow Up skill which triggers when certain conditions are met. The most common effect is called Cantrip, which will allow the caster to draw a card if the condition is met.
You juggle your Spells by managing your Ability Points (2 AP regained each turn up to a maximum of 10) and making sure to keep certain Marker states or conditions active.

Equipment

Equipment cards replace your typical Buff spells and your usual Armors and Accessories.

Equipment cards cost AP to use just like Spells and you can only use a single Equipment each turn. Doing so counts as using your Weapon.

Equipment cards are strong. They usually do one or more of the following:
  • Grant a Basic Enhancement: ATK+, DEF+, MAG+, RES+, etc. These basic enhancements can be generated and applied by all manner of cards but Equipments are usually the ones to do so. These Basic Enhancements last only for a short amount of time before wearing off.
  • Grant a Unique Enhancement. Equipment provide a unique Enhancement. Sometimes it's something very small, like an additional +1 DEF, drawing a card, a 25% chance to resist Poison, etc. Other times, it's much larger. These Unique Enhancements do not normally wear off. Instead, imagine you have 2 Equipment Slots: Armors and Trinkets. You can only have a single Unique Armor and Unique Trinket enhancement active at a time. Playing a new one will remove all others and replace it with the new one.
If you're wondering about Equipment redundancy, remember that you can still play other copies of a card to keep Basic Enhancements active and trigger non Unique abilities. Basic Equipments do not have a Unique Enhancement, allowing you to keep reapplying Basic Enhancements without worrying about losing your Unique ones.

Items
Item cards are exactly as items would be in an ordinary RPG.

They cost no AP and have no limit to the amount that can be played each turn.

Items can do all manner of effects, but they tend to be very minor. Furthermore, you can only have 1 copy of a unique item in a deck. Think of items as your Jack of all Trades. Versatile, not perfect and they'll help you in a pinch if your AP gets low.

Last edited:

greensdream

"GREEN'S DREAM" developer page
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love these assets... Where have I seen them before? This looks wonderful.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The assets are Time Fantasy tilesets.

I've decided to revamp Osagai with new tilesets (home made) and a slightly tweaked combat system more reminiscent of a deckbuilder than a ccg.

Look forward to some changes soon!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok so, good news!

I didn't end up getting to make my own Tileset but I found one that will fit perfectly. Problem is, I'm going to need to do some serious photoshop work to scale it up right for RPG Maker MV.

Hopefully it works out, I'm a full year behind actually sharing anything. Lot of stuff in notebooks, but not a lot done in the engine!

EDIT: Updated the OP with the new content!

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
February 1st, 2019

Hot Lava.png

Recent Progress and Updates
  • We're working hard to get the basic map components up and running. We've succeeded in making a classic "Falling in Lava/Water" effect which will damage Osa and send them back to the start of the current map, taking a bit of damage along the way.
  • We've also added the first Key Item functionality in allowing players to swim in water once they've acquired it, with a custom bobbing head graphic.
  • Pushing blocks also comes with its very own custom character graphic so you get to see Osa pushing as hard as they can.
  • We've begun assembling the tilesets into proper order, separated into Overworld, Interior, and Dungeon categories.

What's Next?
  • We're aiming to create and add our own tiles to compliment sodacoma's tileset. The tileset's great, but it needs a bit more variety to liven up the game.
  • We're starting to look into open source MIDI files to start getting an idea of the game's OST.
  • We're mapping out the game's Dungeons, and seeing how they'd work on paper. A lot of watching Boss Key videos and Zelda Classic walkthroughs.
  • We're starting to make the initial Cards we want to be in the game. A lot of thinking is going into placement, and card based progression. Stay tuned for more.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
February 5th, 2019

• We've made a lot more headway into the Overworld, Dungeon, and Town tilesets.
  • As you can see from our OP, we've updated a lot of the placeholder art and graphics.
  • The combat system is undergoing testing, with everything currently working fine (with placeholder) graphics.
  • The storyline is being fleshed out, with key plot elements being finalized.
  • We've selected our main Key Items and have made them into four Elemental Rings. Each one also doubles as a powerful Equipment card for your deck, so win-win!
  • We're continuing testing with the tileset, but we've been able to churn out a lot of mock ups and sample maps.

What's Next?
  • Until our next update on Friday, we'll be aiming to get the first couple of parts of the Overworld completed, as well as the starting Town. We will hopefully be able to create the beginning of the first Dungeon which teaches the basics of Osagai's gameplay. We're not aiming to have the combat encounters be balanced for the Overworld sections quite yet.

Other
  • We're in process of getting an rpgmaker.net page approved as well.
  • We'd love to get some feedback and answer your questions, so feel free to Q&A us!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
February 8th, 2019

• Added a custom map transition and textbox using pictures and Yanfly's Extended Message Plugin.
  • Reworked combat placeholders to include the Console.
  • Completed Interior and Exterior Tilesets!
  • Added respawning Plants and Pots to Dungeons and Overworld. Pots are too heavy to break without a Key Item, while Plants can’t be cut down until you find the Enchanted Deck of Cards. Both have a small chance of dropping an item, and an even rarer chance of dropping a Card.
  • Finished our first area of the Overworld. We'd have liked to be further along, but we ended up doing a lot of Quality improvements these past 3 days instead.
  • We've updated some of the images in the first post to reflect the changes (Combat) as well as adding the "Overworld Tracker" to see how far along we are!
What's Next?
  • Progressing on the Overworld; hopefully we'll have many more maps done and finally reach the first Tutorial Dungeon.
  • We're searching for MIDI and 8-bit sound effects for the game as well.
Other
  • We're finally live on rpgmaker.net as well and we've been having a blast over on the RMN Discord as well!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
February 11th, 2019

• Completed 11/100 Overworld Screens as well as Dungeon 0 - Cartomancer's Crypt. There's still some placeholder events while we work on making cutscenes, but those require new sprites that we haven't completed yet.​
  • Combat is now functional, and the first series of cards have been added to the game. A few examples are shown below. The card layout is still subject to change, but we like how they look at the moment.​
  • Reworked map transitions. To avoid having to make dozens of events per page, a single parallel process event per map handles all transitions.​
  • Added most of the opening/introductory dialogue and cutscenes.​
What's Next?

• Getting the introductory area polished, adding new cards to the starting line up, and getting some additional options for the Card Battle plugin.​
  • We're in talks with getting someone to work on the Soundtrack too!​
Other

• We're considering giving the community the chance to design some cards, but we'll talk more about that at a later date!​

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Snarkyfork wrote on Trihan's profile.
Hey man, I saw you mention that you do MV javascript work? Just wanted to confirm it before I put you on speed dial. =)
"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jekken