Raijinn

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What combat mechanic would be suitable for a 2d rpg game other than turn based?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hack n'slash? Tick based? Darkest dungeon style?

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Isn't Darkest Dungeon turn based? @Poryg

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
QTE or rhythm based combat. :D

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it is :D
Once I also saw Match three based battle system, but it was also turn based. But yeah, there are many systems that are turn based, then many systems that are real-time.

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Guess I'm stuck with turn based then :D

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or you can do narrative.

arekpowalan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are some examples of the non turn-based systems.
- Tale of Phantasia's LMBS
LMBS allows the player to control one character while assigning AIs for the teammates. I saw a person using it for a Sonic game, which works fine, but you need to adjust its speed or else it can be too fast or too slow.

The other two I saw are:
- Quasi's Action Battle System
QABS is mainly used as a base for Zelda or Ys-type action RPG. Basic hack-and-slash gameplay.

- Real time battle system
This one resembles Shining Force NEO and Dynasty Warriors. You control one character alone against hordes of enemies and maybe some allies.

Overall, there are tons of scripts/plug-ins out there that you can take. Also, please note that even if you use turn-base, there are many different types. Final Fantasy's ATB and Dragon Quest's TB, for examples, are very different. ATB focuses on speed and timing whereas the original TB focuses on the strategy. Front view, side view, and diagonal view also give different vibes to your game.

If you don't mind heavy script editing, I recommend choosing the system that suits your game and your liking the most. If you would rather spent more time on other things, turn-based or ATB is never a bad thing as long as you do it well.

Last edited:

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The three main ones would be side view, ABS and Tactical. But in my opinion it's more interesting to come up with a new mechanic!

You could even combine the two, as in Final Fantasy XII, a clearly turn based game but with an ABS style battle system. You have clear turns, but can still run around and do other things.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't generally like ATB. They're a mess, and I hardly can tell the enemy moves or even my moves, and how should I react. Most of ATB in RPG Maker Games I played are poorly designed. They just better to stay in classic turn battle. However, there's a certain game (non-RM) I like the battle system and it's similar to ATB(?)

It shows a timeline when your character and enemies are waiting and/or casting. You know when to defend because you have no time for preparation to attack. And if your timing is right, you can even interrupt enemy attack. I called it a timeline order/turn system. It was cool, now I want to play it again.

Now about the script, I'm not even sure if it exist. But I tried to made a a same system on one of my project (which is currently on a long hiatus cz the concept is just too big for me).

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
THAT GAME WAS AMAZING. IT'S RATING IS ALSO VERY HIGH. I LOVE THAT GAME @TheoAllen

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Megaman Battle Network has a quirky battle system.
I don't know what it's called. I call it "panel-based battle system".
It's cool and... I REALLY LOVE DAT MUSIC! :D

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah... I used to play that when I was a kid @EpicFILE Well I still kinda am but hey, brings back the old days :D

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Orbiting the cactus
unborn180.png
Here's this for an idea I might do: A Touhou RPG set in the universe of the Hoi4 mod "The New Order: Last Days of Europe". Expect BurgSys Yukari, the Great Fairy Trial, and funni clock Flandre
The thing I don't like about VRMMORPG anime is that they're unrealistic. I mean, we know we have a lot of ping issues, latency, and desync. Would be funny if you shoot a player and they immediately teleport somewhere because "ha, your internet suck!".
I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xerannu