Other IconSet, for Yanfly's ItemCore and ShopMenuCore

bsides

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
This allows you to use another IconSet in Yanfly Item Core and Shop Menu Core. Screenshots below.

How to use

Put this below Yanfly Item Core and/or Shop Menu Core plugins. Configure this plugin parameters. They are pretty self explainable:
- Icon Image: the filename of the IconSet. You should omit the file extension.
- Icon Width and Height: the size of the icon inside your iconset.
- Icon Smooth: need anti alias? Probably yes.

Then write in the item / skill / weapon / armor notetag the icon's place in your new iconset.

If you don't write anything in the notetag it will load the default IconSet as it was by default.

Note: the first icon starts at row 0 and column 0.

<bicon row: x>
<bicon column: y>

Screenshots

Setup of the item:

In game with the new IconSet:

In game with the default IconSet (didn't setup this item so it goes back to the default):

New screenshots (in english)

Item:

In Shop: 

With a weapon:

License

This uses Yanfly's Item Core plugin. Use his/her license. From my part, use at will  

The icons in this example were taken from http://game-icons.net/ and they license them as Creative Commons v3. Read more here: http://game-icons.net/about.html

Downloads

Hint: click the RAW button and save its contents.

Plugin: https://github.com/bsides/rpgmakermv/blob/master/BSD_OtherIconSet.js - save it as BSD_OtherIconSet.js
OtherIconSet example (1.78mb): https://github.com/bsides/rpgmakermv/blob/master/img/system/OtherIconSet.png

Changelog
1.1: Now supports Yanfly's ShopMenuCore. Rows and columns traded places (was wrong before, sorry!).
1.0: Published.

PS - I don't know if this is the best way to write an extension, but I know it works. If you have any suggestion or criticism, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey there! I snapped this up back when it was just a comment on Yanfly's page and just now finally put it to use, seeing as I now have nice icons to do that with. I have one comment and one bug:

• Row/column specifying is zero-based. This probably should be mentioned directly, as most non-programmer sorts start counting at 1, not 0.
  • Row and column are inverted - row should be counting downward in the icons file (y axis) and columns should be counting across (x axis).
Other than that, I love it. I really like being able to have a small "type" icon, and a larger detail icon. Thanks for the effort! =D

[Edit] I thought I had a bug but I can't make it happen again. Strange!

[Edit2] I HAD found a bug - looking at an item that has the same row and column numbers doesn't help reveal it! Silly me...

Kaelar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey there! Is there any way to apply this extension to all Yanfly's core script that uses a similar canvas? Like Shop Menu Core for example?

bsides

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
  • Row/column specifying is zero-based. This probably should be mentioned directly, as most non-programmer sorts start counting at 1, not 0.
  • Row and column are inverted - row should be counting downward in the icons file (y axis) and columns should be counting across (x axis).
Oh, I really should specify that, my bad. Also, I'll fix those row/columns inverted... that was unfortunate ;)

Hey there! Is there any way to apply this extension to all Yanfly's core script that uses a similar canvas? Like Shop Menu Core for example?
Sure thing, do you know how many other places we have this? I believe there's one in skills too...

Kaelar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
After checking through I think that the Shop Menu core is the only other one, the Equip and Skill Core uses the Actor's Faces instead of Icons. I personally would love to have the possibility to show icons of the selected skill/equipment tho. But It's probably something else entirely.

Thanks for the quick answer! :D

bsides

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I just updated it to support Yanfly's Shop Menu Core and exchanged row for column as it was wrong before. It was really really easy. Same link for download :)  

the Equip and Skill Core uses the Actor's Faces instead of Icons. I personally would love to have the possibility to show icons of the selected skill/equipment tho.
Challenge accepted. I'll look into this.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I don't know what you meant by seeing the big item's icon in those screens... you should see the character's stats as you're comparing with what you had and what you're equiping, right?

Kaelar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Great! Thank you very much for the updated plugin! :D

And yes, you are right about the skill and equipment menus. My bad sorry :/. The only alternative I see is adding a new window with the selected equipment "Big Icon" but I don't know if it would work.

To put you in context, in my game, every skill/item has a "Card" visual a bit like Magic:The Gathering so I wanted the player to be able to see this "Card" visual from any menu, not just the item menu.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Fantastic fix! A quick test with a project of mine after fixing the row/column entries is looking good.

Also looking good with this plugin is 128x128 icons with a transparent background:

gemExample.png

The big icon only looks a bit grainy because I put it through some serious PNG compression.

bsides

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
The only alternative I see is adding a new window with the selected equipment "Big Icon" but I don't know if it would work
That would require a more specific system for your game. Maybe grab someone from the forum to help you with that! :)

Also looking good with this plugin is 128x128 icons with a transparent background:
That's exactly what I'm using!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

WolfTJD

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for a GREAT plugin!! Liking those larger icons!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerLaPux