Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
blacklogo.png

Promo2.JPG

Ouroboros is a Horror Game. It contains sudden noises, disturbing imagery, mild language, gore, and adult situations, it is intended for 13+Years of Age. You've been warned!

*This project is on temporary hiatus*

It's too late, it's coming. What will be, is already, and what was has past will come to be.

Ouroboros, emblematic serpent of ancient Egypt and Greece represented with its tail in its mouth, continually devouring itself and being reborn from itself. A gnostic and alchemical symbol, Ouroboros expresses the unity of all things, material and spiritual, which never disappear but perpetually change form in an eternal cycle of destruction and re-creation.

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS

• Just outside of Jupiter, the United Nations Space Command (UNSC) is constructing the largest space ship ever built. All mention of it seems to be erased. Julie Ryans, a disgraced reporter is sent undercover to the construction of this massive spaceship to report on the goings on of the UNSS Ouroboros and what her mission might be. Upon arrival, Julie finds the huge ship teaming with life as the crew of the Ouroboros get the ship ready to go further than any human has traveled before, but before they can complete their readiness, the main reactor starts up on its own and the crew is forced to race to their cryo-stasis pods for safety as the ship plummets into hyper-dimensional space...destination unknown.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
OuroborosTitleScreen.JPG
Dream.JPG
CryoPuzzle1.JPG
CryoPuzzle2.JPG
Next picture is a little gory..
Opening.JPG

SECTION B: CHARACTERS

• Actor1.jpeg
    • Julie Ryans - Julie Ryans is a disgraced reporter who also holds a degree in advanced computer programming. After college she found her passion, writing and became a reporter. After her daughter's gruesome fate at the hands of a cryo-pod malfunction, she became obsessed with exposing the UNSC's coverup of faulty cryo-pods. The UNSC silenced all her sources and discredited her story. While on her campaign for justice, she got a divorce and lost most of her friends. Now, broke and jobless, her old boss and former lover offers her a job. To pose as a computer programmer to expose the goings on of project Ouroboros and the secrecy behind it. Julie's dreams are haunted by her deceased daughter and the guilt she bares for missing much of her daughter's life due to over working. She is also consumed with guilt of her divorce after she cheated on her husband with her former editor-in-chief Philip.
    • Phillip Wesley - Julie's former editor and lover. After Julie's divorce, she cut all ties with the man. He calls her back after learning about the UNSS Ouroboros to report on it's mysterious construction. He's a workaholic of a man, who places emphasis more on gaining the big story than the well being of others. Shortly after the death of Julie's child, Phillip convinces Julie to go off planet to work on her big story about the cryo-pod debacle and costing Julie her marriage.
    • Albert Jones - Albert is tasked by Phillip to fly Julie out to Ouroboros and after dropping her off, remaining in a small vessel just outside of sensor range to collect and relay any information sent by Julie about UNSS Ouroboros. Besides Phillip, Albert is the only other person to know Julie's true purpose at Ouroboros and remains Julie's link to the "Outside World". Julie can communicate with him via short encrypted radio burst transmissions until the ship's reactors mysteriously fire up on their own propelling the ship into unknown space headed to an unknown destination.
    • Captain Theodore Marshall - Captain Marshall is acting captain of the UNSS Ouroboros. The captain is a stern but fair captain and a stickler for rules and regulations, especially about regulation uniforms and dress code. He takes himself very seriously and truly believes in Ouroboros' mission to "make history" and reach farther than any person in history.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT

• The story starts with the mysterious death of Tech Officer Terry Hale in the male showers. After being discovered by a few of the crew, the decision to cover up his death is made to not cause a panic to the other crew members. Close to being finished constructing Ourobors, an order is sent out to find a replacement computer programmer on short notice. Hearing rumors and seizing the opportunity to put someone on the inside, Phillip Wesley contacts his former employee and lover, Julie Ryans to go under cover and report back what is transpiring in far orbit above Jupiter at the construction site of Ouroboros. Julie reluctantly accepts Phillip's job offer and sets out immediately for the mysterious construction site. Upon arrival, Julie finds the largest spaceship ever constructed almost ready to make its maiden voyage. Shortly after arrival, she meets Captain Marshall who explains that the United Nations Space Ship Ouroboros has an experimental Alcubierre Drive Engine that bends space time to send its occupants farther than any human has ever traveled before. With early experiments with the Alcubierre Drive Engine used in unmanned vehicles, the advanced computer systems were fried by magnetic and microwave fields generated by the engine. In another test they sent plants to test the effects on living organisms. One of the plants had been propelled so far forward in time that it was dried and dead and another plant had been accelerated so fast that it went backwards in time and came out as seeds. To nullify these strange time dilation effects, advanced cryo-pods, not unlike the ones that killed Julie's daughter, Anabelle, are to be used by the crew.

While exploring the ship, many of the crew are showing early signs of Space Dementia, a psychological illness that effects people who have prolonged exposure to deep space. Shortly after her meeting with the captain a young crew member commits suicide by throwing herself out of the airlock without a suit on. Mourning her death, the captain orders everyone to take a rest day, but during this restful time the Alcubierre Drive Engines start up on their own and the crew has to race to their cryo-pods or succumb to effects of time dilation and any psychological effects of entering higher dimensional space. Julie makes it to her pod just as the ship enters hyperspace and over half of the crew is not so lucky. In her cryogenic slumber, Julie has to make peace with her inner demons and then awakes an unknown time later to find the ship is still careening through hyper dimensional space and it and its inhabitants have drastically changed.

Is she still dreaming in her pod? Is she losing her mind? Is there something aboard the ship? Where these things here, around us the whole time but unperceivable until being launched into a higher plane of existance?

Julie must find a way to bring Ouroboros back to reality while avoiding "Monsters", "Creatures", and madness.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT

• The game takes place some 70 years in the future as mankind has started colonizing the solar system and wishes to branch out to other worlds. The problem is, according to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, that nothing can move faster than the speed of light. To overcome this hurdle, a work around is invented to go around the physical laws of the universe as we know them. With the normal rules of reality no longer applying, how can human beings cope with the strangeness that surrounds them as they are stuck aboard a moving spaceship entering unknown dimesions.

The bulk of the game takes place aboard the UNSS Ourobors and has a few "out of time" flashbacks and altered memories as the main character struggles to make sense of herself, time and her surroundings. There are puzzles to solve to get the ship back in working order and cat and mouse style gameplay with "whatever" seems to haunting the ship. There are clues scattered about to aid the player and the protagonist try to make sense of what is truly happening. There's limited save points and healing, so resource management and staying hidden are core aspects of the game. As well as a Lovecraftian theme of going mad from the mere sight of such a universe beyond our understanding.

Promo Art
Promo2.JPG
Promo.JPG
PromoArt3.jpeg
CREDITS
Credits in game

DOWNLOAD LINK

Social Media

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This both looks and sounds very good. I really like how the bust of Julie Ryans looks cel shaded. I hope you release a demon soon.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger I'm sure you recognize some of PVGames assets, I altered all the busts to give it a cell shaded almost rotoscope look. Its like 4 images superimposed on one another. The top three give it a pencil shaded look with the bottom layer in full color that has been blurred a little. She's got 3 different full sets of busts and then all the supporting characters have at least one bust. Also when you pickup items, a full size picture is on screen with the same look to give it some consistency.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. I noticed how you've used a mixture of PVGames' assets, and other resources. You've managed to make the vast majority of the non-PVGames' resources fit in really well with the actual PVGames' stuff. I think it's helped by the fact that the maps have lighting effects, so objects are partially obscured by shadows and tints.

I really like the cel shaded look, and might have a go at playing around with it in GIMP myself. I also like the idea of images appearing on the screen when you pick items up.

I watched that hour long playthrough of your IGMC game. I thought it was fairly good, and didn't agree with some of the strange criticisms the reviewer made.

Keep up the good work. :)

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the kind words. Part of getting other assets to work with Jesse's older assets (scifi, mythos, and wild steam) is increasing the sharpness and playing with the contrast and color. As for the cell shaded look, make 4 copies of your base layer. The bottom layer do a Gaussian blur of 5percent to 7 percent then hide the layer. Then follow this tutorial
Merge those 3 layers together and then set the blend mode to overlay and make the hidden layer visible again. Viola.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated Main post with two screen shots from a puzzle. The puzzle can be solved in a multitude of ways, but your choices will have an effect on the outcome of the game.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the prologue done and most of "chapter 1". Then a lot more play testing and there is some spelling errors and small things. Then mega super early release demo. End of this month has me booked solid in real life, so maybe the end of February.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have the prologue done and most of "chapter 1". Then a lot more play testing and there is some spelling errors and small things. Then mega super early release demo. End of this month has me booked solid in real life, so maybe the end of February.
End of February? Aw. :( Well, I'm waiting for it for sure! :D:D:D

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little screenshot update:
Grid Inventory
GridInventory.JPG

Can you crack the password?
Password.JPG

Mapshots
Yes she's in her underwear. When you (the player) awaken from cryo-stasis, your first "quest"/mission is to locate your clothes.
CryoB.JPG
LockerRoom.JPG
LockerRoom2.JPG

!Warning Some may find this one a little disturbing!
This poor guy apparently couldn't handle the terrors of Ouroboros. He's animated with a slight swinging back and forth and a falling animation if you so choose to bring him down.
HangMan.JPG

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Truthfully the dark subject matter has been effecting me in some weird ways and I have been standing back from it a little this past week or so. The original idea was to have this ready for a game jam in March but it has taken a life of its own so I am going full fledged game here. Debating whether to try and release a demo for the release something event.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Truthfully the dark subject matter has been effecting me in some weird ways
Really? Huh.
Debating whether to try and release a demo for the release something event.
Well, I really want to play this game, it looks and sounds amazing.
Also, one question. What characters and tilesets are those? They look great. Are they free or not?

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mainly paid PVGames sci-fi with some resizing here and there for mv format. The main character is from character creation resources from PVGames Wild Steam and Dead or Alive. There's "monsters" from PVGames mythos as well as some tiles and NPCs.

There's also some freebie stuff from amazing people like Mlogan, PandaMaru, Boku, and more from this site. And some edited RTP.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...trying to piece an early demo together without spoiling too much of the rest of the game...

Going to put it out for the release something event and probably my itch.io page. Trying to reduce the size of everything to its smallest form since all the maps except 2 or 3 are done with parallax mapping.

Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Keep going, I'd like to play the Demo. It does look interesting and different from your standard RPG maker fare. Can't see much of the gore/disturbing effects on these screenshots (the characters and details are rather tiny so all that 'red stuff' isn't really in your face), but I reckon it's much more evident when you actually play the game.
RE: subject matter of the game affecting the maker: it's good not to overwork yourself. Take breaks, go outside, meet people, make sure to have some wind down time etc... When I was making my little game for IGMC I was clocking out some crazy hours to make the deadline and it resulted in a burnout which lasted for a couple months so yeah, hope you will avoid that and will finish your game.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same thing happened to me during IGMC2017o_O

Not burned out, but the story has a lot of introspection from the main character in the form of "hallucinations" (in qoutes because it might not be hallucinations;)) that in some shapes resemble my own life and I just set down the computer and go read a book with my kids or hangout with my wife. Also when I start reading up about theories on time and higher dimensions, I get headaches trying to process everything in my brain. Haha. Fun fact, the engine the UNSS Ouroboros uses, the Alcuburrie drive is a real theoretical form of space travel by a Mexican physicist.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Frostorm wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey bro, hmu if you're around...I really need your help. >.<
Working hard to keep master @ImaginaryVillain 's sparkles on stock! :kaodes:
A3lgj8H.jpg

Hopefully this will please him enough to give us our beds back...
My mom is finally coming home tonight! In the meantime, Wishful Wanda is back in production.
SA51K_SHADER_IDLE.gifZombie is not the only thing people turned into in this town. There is also something else here. Something has many different names in history, the plague, the black oil, the purity, the filth. And now, it's called the shade.
(Maybe too much X-File reference. :kaojoy:)
Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lfxfire2