Out-of-Combat UI Design

Which corner of the screen should the player's portrait/info be in?

• Top Left

• Top Right

• Bottom Left

• Bottom Right

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've been putting off designing a UI for my project's map scenes (anytime you're just running around). Right now it's totally blank/empty, as in the player only sees the map and stuff on said map w/ no UI to speak of. I am not referring to the main menu or command list btw. Generally, there are a couple of must-have elements:
  • player's name and/or face
  • player's HP & MP (gauge + #)
  • player's level & XP
  • gold/currency
  • map name
Those are just some obvious ones I thought of off the top of my head. What are some other elements that could be included in the UI? I'd also really appreciate if anyone has screenshots of good UI designs they've come across, thx!

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's a lot of info to display. I generally display the bare minimum as I prefer having a full view of the map. Perhaps a button to hide/show the UI on the map?

Also, if your game uses touch screen/mouse, then a button to open the menu like in MZ.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a lot of info to display. I generally display the bare minimum as I prefer having a full view of the map. Perhaps a button to hide/show the UI on the map?
Hmm, you got a point there...I'd prolly omit gold/currency & map name. I do like to keep things clean as well, but if a button is used to show/hide the UI, then wouldn't the player rather exert the same effort press a different button to pull up the main menu?

Do you use a blank UI for your project btw? (on the map I mean)

Edit: Added a poll...

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
most very basic info (face, lv, exp are mostly top left, other UI like
skills, gamebad, etc are mostly bottom, but this can be entirely different from
game to game, there are some games that hase face, lvl, exp on the top right or
even bottom left corner, the rest next to it or on the top.

How you create your UI and place it is up to you, suiteable for your game
and confort to you that looks best.

some does top left, where not much to see, sometimes bottom left or right because mostly
nothing special to see or just places where you cant go, so it will be a nice spot.

there are so many type of UI for player, you can look some for UI rpg games
and see how they place it, there are to many types, but hard to guess of the UI type
would fit your game at best.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm, you got a point there...I'd prolly omit gold/currency & map name. I do like to keep things clean as well, but if a button is used to show/hide the UI, then wouldn't the player rather exert the same effort press a different button to pull up the main menu?

Do you use a blank UI for your project btw? (on the map I mean)

Edit: Added a poll...
Personally the only thing I'm showing on the map in my current project is the button to call the menu (mostly for mobile). I do plan on offering an option to show a minimap, but that's pretty much it. Of course, depending on the type of game you're making you might have to display more info. Like for an action RPG you have to at least display the hero health. For the map name, I like having a window that displays it on top and have the window fade away after a while.

As for where to display it, I'd say I'm pretty much of the same opinion as ShadowDragon. It really depends on what you want to show. Some would go top left and others would go bottom right imo.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh snap, I totally forgot minimaps were a thing lol. Well I probably won't need it for my project since my dungeon maps are all 20x11 (they connect together) so the entire map is always visible (no scrolling). Though maybe the minimap would be useful for larger maps (mostly towns/cities).

My project is a tactical RPG; idk if they has any influence on UI requirements, but my battles occur on the map and not the battle scene.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ahh yeah in that case displaying the active battler's image and info (health, mp, etc.) is needed during the battle phase at least. I'd say any of the 4 corners is a suitable place. Personally I prefer bottom left, but that's a personal choice.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have any visual "gutters" around your map screens? If you're going with a lot of info, it may make more sense to take a cue from the Legend of Zelda and just set aside a band at the top or bottom of the screen to hold that information.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have any visual "gutters" around your map screens? If you're going with a lot of info, it may make more sense to take a cue from the Legend of Zelda and just set aside a band at the top or bottom of the screen to hold that information.
Hmm, not really...I'm running 960x540 resolution so it does feel vertically cramped. It was the easiest resolution that I could stretch to 2x so it looks like a pseudo-pixel art game lol.

Only indoor maps like this would have black/empty spaces, but even then it's not guaranteed nor consistent. Screenshot:
1603844635339.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotanimi