LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Playing normally and it randomly crashes around 20-30 minutes after I started. Sometimes the game freezes then shut down, and other it displays this message: imagedata.png
I have a lot of plugins but i can't turn off any of them, my project is finished so i really need a way to solve this, if anyone know please help me.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what is the core version of your project? please open it's rpg_core.js file with a text editor and read the version number in the title line, no number means 1.0

what you have here is most likely a memory leak caused by faulty programming. This could be in the engine itself if the core is too old, but most likely it is one of the plugins that was written by someone who knows nothing about memory management.

Memory leaks like those are extremely difficult to find (which is why the core had several until 1.4).
A screenshot of your plugin manager with all plugins might help narrowing the search down.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
rpg_core.js version is 1.6.1, and these are my plugins:
pluginmanager.png
that "rpgcorejsFIX" is this.
what is the core version of your project? please open it's rpg_core.js file with a text editor and read the version number in the title line, no number means 1.0

what you have here is most likely a memory leak caused by faulty programming. This could be in the engine itself if the core is too old, but most likely it is one of the plugins that was written by someone who knows nothing about memory management.

Memory leaks like those are extremely difficult to find (which is why the core had several until 1.4).
A screenshot of your plugin manager with all plugins might help narrowing the search down.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you give links to the places where you got the plugins that have no description?
and to the website of rs_messagealign?

that would be the plugins to check first - either because they are unknown, or because it is always a bad idea to have plugins of different programmers work on the same area unless they were specifically written to be combined that way.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only have these links to rs_messagealign, remove weapons and armor and rpgcorejsFIX. But, if that helps, I can pass the code of the other two plugins:

noGold.js
Code:
Scene_Menu.prototype.createGoldWindow = function() {
this._goldWindow = new Window_Gold(0, 0);
this._goldWindow.y = Graphics.boxHeight - this._goldWindow.height;
this.addWindow(this._goldWindow);
this._goldWindow.hide();
};

noDashOption.js
Code:
Window_Options.prototype.addGeneralOptions = function() {
//  this.addCommand(TextManager.alwaysDash, 'alwaysDash');  // do not add this option
//  this.addCommand(TextManager.commandRemember, 'commandRemember');  // do not add this option
};

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you know what plugin can cause the problem? :/

joepmeloen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had the same problem and it happened after opening and closing the menu a few times in a row. There is also a thread about it. "Memory leak menu"

If that is happening to you to, you can then start eleminating your plugins one at a time of a few at a time to check witch plugin causes this.

Then find an alternitive, exclude it or fix it.

Try adding this as a plugin garbage collector;

Last edited:

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had the same problem and it happened after opening and closing the menu a few times in a row. There is also a thread about it. "Memory leak menu"

If that is happening to you to, you can then start eleminating your plugins one at a time of a few at a time to check witch plugin causes this.

Then find an alternitive, exclude it or fix it.

Try adding this as a plugin garbage collector;
Thanks, but that plugin don't work, the game continues to progressively consume memory until it crash.

Also i'm not sure how can i test it properly, there is no indication of what causes it and I cannot test it by taking off one by one, since the error happens after 30 minutes (and I need each of them working).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, but that plugin don't work,
of course not - that specific memory leak had been fixed in the engine with 1.4 or 1.5, and each fix will always only work for a specific bug.

no computer will ever have enough RAM for everything at the same time, that is why memory management is important. Memory management means that all programs (and that includes all plugins) should tell the computer when they need memory for something, AND when they no longer need the memory.
The second part is the problem, because most programmers don't have the knowledge to do that for every case of memory use, and the programming language can only do this automatically for the more common cases.
If a use of memory is requested but not returned after it is no longer used, that part of the RAM remains blocked forever - and that is what is called a "memory leak" because that memory effectively vanishes.

One of your plugins has such a memory leak, but to solve it you would have to find out which part of the memory-use is blocked and fix that specific plugin. Having fixes for other memory leaks will never help - that is like trying to patch a whole that isn't even there...

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the explanation. This is much more difficult than I thought. So, ok, a plugin is poorly made and causes RAM problems. How should I identify it? I know nothing about programming or other technical things.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, did you find out something? I know it's not easy and you have your own business so I don't want to be annoying.

joepmeloen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As mentioned earlier you need to find out what plugin causes the memory leak and sometimes it is a combination of plugins.
To get you started and to speed things up;
You could turn off half of your plugins and and see if the memory leak is still there.
If not then turn on the plugins that you have turned off and turn off the plugins that you have turned on.
Repeat this until you have found the one and only plugin that causes the trouble.
Then run the game with only that plugin to be sure.

Then its up to you what todo next about the troubled plugin;

-look for an update for the plugin
-fix the plugin yourself
-ask the creator for a fix or report it as a bug.
-Finding an alternative for the plugin

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But in this memory leak i need to wait 30 minutes, really i need to try over and over again and wait that time in all attempts? Also, what's the ammount consume of RAM that is "normal" a MV game use? And can i get a log file or something to make this easier?

Last edited:

joepmeloen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have 20 plugins
Split itnto 10 30 minutes
Split it to 5 60 minutes
Split it to 2 90 minutes
3 remains as an individuel.
I think you have located in a minimun of 3 hours.

I had the same problem like yours
For Crypchania I have over 50 plugins could you imagine how long it took me to figure out what plugin it caused it; arround 40 hours to solve it by excluding the plugin and also make changes at the game arround 15 hours, then testing it over and over... I guess thats not the fun part but in the end I have made a working game, with almost no bugs.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, thanks, i'll do that. Just one more question, do you know whats the correct or normal amount of RAM that a MV game is supposed to use? Just to be sure.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have tried disabling the few plugins that I could, and none of them cause the problem. Almost all plugins are very necessary and I can't disable them because it literally breaks the game and many parts are unplayable. Also, as seen in the screenshot, most are from well-known authors like Yanfly, Galv, and others, there are not supposed to be problems. I have no idea what to do, I'm stuck.

joepmeloen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no idea what to do, I'm stuck.
I think you know what to do, but you don't want to invest in doing it. As sayd earlier, you need to make sure what plugin is causing the out of memory message, and take actions to move forward with your game.

Okay, thanks, i'll do that. Just one more question, do you know whats the correct or normal amount of RAM that a MV game is supposed to use? Just to be sure.

There is no normal or correct amount of RAM used by a game, it depends on how much stuff you put in it. The more you put in (bigger images for higher resolution, scripts that are parrallel running, sounds / music, alot of variables etc) makes the game to need more RAM.
But it is safe to say that you could be arround the minimum system requirement for rpg maker mv to have as a guideline, so more players are able to play the game.

PC's with memory of 64GB of ram are uncommen to pc's with 8 GB of ram, if you go to mobile -android / ios I think it is safe to keep it underneath 2gb as a guideline for older models phones and tablets, its just advice it is up to you, to make your game how you want it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Almost all plugins are very necessary and I can't disable them because it literally breaks the game and many parts are unplayable.
we are not asking you to permanently disable the plugins for all time - we are asking to disable for the tests until you identify the cause. just don't use those parts of the game that need a disable plugin during those tests.

LordOfErrors

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I literally said if i disable most of plugin it breaks, B-R-E-A-K-S, the game. Im not guilty if RPG Maker base is so limited that i cant do a ****. Whatever, thanks for the helps, i will do the next step on my way, so you can close this thread of something, bye.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the only way to break the engine with disabling a plugin is by disabling them in the wrong order - if you disable a plugin that is still required by another plugin.

otherwise the engine will still run flawlessly with all plugins disabled. It might be that some events will no longer work if they utilised a plugin, but the rest will work and you can play around for the test.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol
currently working on some template sprites and tweaking the walk cycle :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hopefullyfinishinggame