Dream3r

90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone, so I've decided to completely redo this page since I haven't updated it in...well a long time.  So here we go...

Out of the Storm is an open world, survival game focused on character development.  You'll start weak and without the knowledge needed to survive.  It's up to you to get stronger and learn what you need to in order to survive.  Hard choices will be made.

You play as Val, stranded in a thick forest miles from the nearest town and caught in an unnatural storm.  You're practically thrown into a dangerous world and told, "Survive". In the core game the enemy is nature itself.  Your best weapon is your wits and ingenuity. Every piece of the environment and object in the game can be interacted with.  You must find the best uses for them to keep yourself alive until the storm comes to an end and you can finally escape the forest you're trapped in.

As you play the game you will learn about the world, its people, this storm, and why are there are ruins of the modern world throughout.  In addition to the world, much of the discovery is about Val and who she is.  Your decisions will shape if she lives and who she becomes.  Will she be known as the poor girl who died amongst many or the strong woman who made it through it all?  What about who she was before the storm and why she ended up in the situation she's in?  That's up to you to discover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Very interesting! I look forward to seeing how this develops!

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very interesting! I look forward to seeing how this develops!
Me too.  Actually I'm going to be editing this post here with more game development focused themes so you guys can actually see how the game is made.  We actually do quite a few interesting things I haven't seen other RPGM games do so maybe we'll even inspire some new creations.  We'll see.

Game Development/Tutorials
Map Design
Designing the expansive forest that you'll be exploring and scavenging for supplies is a daunting task.  Being 64 million² pixels in size in it's current stage, the map is large.  But it's something I'm prepared for being the core map designer on the team.  So how do I design such a map?  I'll show you the stages...

Section Design:  

The map is divided into 1600x1600 pixel sections, not only making the task of designing the map easier (focusing on a section a day), but also allows us to balance the game easier.  For example we could place more rabbits in section six to make it easier for players to gather food at the start of the game (since the cabin you start at is in section two).  Also if lag ever became an issue we could take sections and break them up to be their own maps (though that is a last resort, the game is meant to be open world).

Plot Coordinates:

Within each section are different colored shapes.  These each represent certain plants and animals.  In the image above they're each listed on one layer but as the map design progresses these will be divided into individual layers with their x and y coordinates listed.  Meaning when we go in engine we can just quickly look at a list of tree coordinates and write them in the code.  Then the trees will spawn at all the coordinates we typed in.  This saves a lot of time compared to going back and forth between the scripting and the visual view of the game to see if the plant or animal life looked right.

Asset Placement:

Placing assets such as bushes and trees over their designated placement points allows us to quickly view and adjust sections of the map to see if the forest looks believable and that everything is placed correctly so that the player can see it.  Last thing you want is for berry bushes to spawn behind a tree's branches and the player is unable to find them and starve.

Origin Event:

The following requires use of the Yanfly Spawn Event Script here

Once I'm in engine I create an origin event, in this case a BlackBerry Bush.  Basically it's just the asset you want to start placing throughout the map.  It then calls for a common event which basically acts as its brain.

Common Event:

Essentially every origin event be it plant or animal has a common event attached to it that acts as its brain, telling it what to do both on it's own and how to behave when the player interacts with it.  (In the image above only the way it behaves with the player is shown)

Clones:

Next I create clones.  These script calls more or less copy and paste an origin event throughout the map.  Here's how they work...

From left to right here's what the numbers represent,

9= X coordinate (where should the item be placed horizontally on the map)

13= Y coordinate (where should the item be placed vertically on the map)

18= The event ID of the origin event you are copying.

4= The Map ID of where the origin event is located (where should it look to copy)

1802= The ID of the clone.  (Every clone needs a unique ID, if you give two clones the same ID only one will spawn)

Test the Game:

Last step is to go in the game and test it to see what it looks like and how it behaves.  Three things you want to look out for,

1) Does the map look right?  If it's a forest does it look like a forest or do the plants seem like they're placed on a grid.  You and I know they are but the player shouldn't recognize that.

2) Do events overlap?  Only one event can exist on each 32x32 tile so if you chose for two events to spawn in the same location only one of them will spawn. (Most likely the one with the smallest ID number)

3) Do animated events overlap?  By this I mean for example, that bottom left tree in the picture above.  When the player goes to cut it down it breaks into two separate events.  One is the trunk which stays in place and the second is the rest of the tree which falls down to the right.  Now going back to point #2, if that event falls onto a place where another event exist (those blackberry bushes for example) the event can no longer exist so that tree is going to delete itself and vanish.  Don't make ghost trees.

Overall I hope that tutorial/insight on how I design the map was helpful.  I know many of you developers may not be making a survival game but this system can be applied to other games as well.  For example enemy spawns in an RPG, or the decor of a location as the day progresses (barrels of fish after a morning's fish boats return anyone?).

abe109

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Demo please?

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@abe It's not at a demo stage yet, should be another month of development time to be demo(ish) ready. And then another two months after we have the funding to cover art, animation, music, and sfx.

I'll provide a demo asap so we can find more issues and balance the game, be sure of that

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, this is indeed very interesting! I like the gameplay mechanisms and the plot seems very creative. I don't think I've seen an RPG game focus on such an idea before. XD I am totally looking forward to this. Good luck. ^^

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Miss Nile

Thank you that's very sweet of you.  It's something I never expected to make but I've definitely been enjoying the development so far.  With luck we'll be able to make it in just a few months :D

BerryB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am speechless of the art style you're using. I'd give props to your background artist. I'm looking forward to more devs from this game and hopefully you guys can give us something to enjoy. c:

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@BerryB  Thanks that means a lot, and I'll be sure to let Niqi know ;)

EDIT:

Question for you guys, what do you prefer?

Trees spaced apart for more visibility of items and the player on the ground

Or close together more like trees in an actual forest...

In both of these pictures a tree has been cut down, in the first image it's easy to tell where the timber is to interact with, in the second though getting closer to a more believable tree placement, the player can no longer see where the tree fell at.

Let me know your thoughts,

Dakota

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So thought this was funny but originally I thought we'd need about 200 trees to cover our 250x250 tile map. Turns out 200 only covered 3 our of the 25 sections. Based on the math looks like we'll need over 1600 trees to cover the map.

Granted once you start accounting for unstable terrain such as hills, mountain edges, and the river (placeholder currently in the general area) then there will be a good bit less but still.  I was off by nearly 8x the amount :p Really underestimated how big the map was

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
in regards to your question about which looks better, btw. I'd say the sparser one with more visibility.

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Experimenting with a supporter siggy since I've seen people with those.

Any thoughts?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game looks very good. I had thought about creating a "spin-off" of my game that would basically be a mix of it with Don't Starve, but you seem to be doing a much better job.

I'll try to play it before the end of the weekend.

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Hudell Thanks for the kind words but there isn't a demo yet.  That's why we're in Early development.  I would say there's a couple more months of work and around $2,000 in assets I need to pay for before the game will be finished.  I should be able to make a demo around the halfway mark but we'll see.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hudell Thanks for the kind words but there isn't a demo yet.  That's why we're in Early development.  I would say there's a couple more months of work and around $2,000 in assets I need to pay for before the game will be finished.  I should be able to make a demo around the halfway mark but we'll see.
Oh, sorry. I had read that there wasn't a demo yet, but by the time I got to comment I had forgotten already.

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Hudell No problem, happens to me all the time

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, this looks exciting!

Just wondering, with the maps, are you going to have more variation with the ground tiles, or is it all going to be snow? It's a very stark contrast with the trees and other objects at the moment.

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks AMN, it certainly is.  As for variation I plan on varying the ground very much with different textures, paths, levels of snow, vegetation, and other details.  I'm just focusing the budget now on making things work to prove the concept and then later, with some financial support, perhaps we can make the game as beautiful as it is exciting.

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah cool, that's kind of what I figured. :) Looking forward to it!

Dream3r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay so the goal here with the picture above is to create some sort of balanced spread of resources throughout the map.  Now if I was good at math I would probably come up with some formula to figure out what should be the right amount of each resource to fill each half circle sector.  However I'm not a math wiz so I'm just going to make shaz up.  If you have better ideas feel free to throw them at me but so far this is my thought.

Each half circle extends 1,500 pixels further than the last starting at the black rectangle representing the cabin you will need to return to in order to store supplies and take shelter form the storm.  My thoughts are the further the sector the more resources that will be in it.  Here's why...

1) For the most part the further out the sector the more area of the map it makes up until you get to the last two in which case they are cut off a bit.  So even if the density is higher the resources are spread amongst more land.

2) The further out the resources are the more time you have to spend traveling to them and back to the cabin so even if you find a lot you won't be able to just walk back to the cabin dump the supplies off, and head back out.  Once you go out that far you may very likely spend your entire day out only to make it back just before dark.

3)  The longer you are outside the more risk you face with cold, illness, injury, thirst, and starvation.  Thus the resources need to hold more value to balance that out.

The question is where to put what?  I was originally just guessing and plotting random resources like bushes, dead trees, herbs, and so forth about the map and seeing if it "looked right".  What I'm leaning more towards now is coming up with an area of the map and determine in some way what percentage should be covered by what...What % is river?  What % is living trees?  Dead trees?  Edible plants, poisonous plants, herbs, and just plain ground.

I'll figure it out but I figured I'd ramble here, show that I'm not going to just throw random things together and present it to you in a basket of pretty art.  I'm going to make this game an experience one way or another, I'm just hoping it will be a good one....Sad and frustrating sure but also like you're steadily progressing and wearing down the storm just as much as it is wearing down you.  We'll see what I pull off in the end.

-Dakota

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

​
MASSIVE EDIT
 ​
Alright now this is a much more accurate version of how the map will likely be divided up.

Pretty much figured how much of the main resources I wanted on the map (herbs, edible food, rotten vegetation, and firewood), a reasonable amount of trees to be on the map to make it look like a forest without covering the entire screen, and then basically though the left percentages onto plain ground and the river.

There are a couple things that will effect this going onward.

1)  The shape of the river.  Right now it's just a straight line as I haven't really sat down and designed it yet so depending on where it gets thick or thin it may take up more or less of the map.  Either way it's just going to effect the amount of plain ground on the map not the resources.

2)  Unaccounted for terrain.  Really it's still "plain ground" technically but this is mountainous or hilly terrain we haven't designed yet.  It will break up the land a bit and make it fun to explore as well as spread out resources and break up patterns.  You could also throw in the cabin you live in and camps to this group.

The next part I'm going to work on is dividing up each of those resources amongst sectors based on distance from the cabin you sleep in and store supplies.

Each of these sectors are divided into 100th's like so...

So Sector 5 for example (the area between the black and white circles) has 30% of the maps resources.  So if there are fifty herbs in total, fifteen will be in Sector 5.

Hope that all makes sense and I'm really excited to finish up this formula soon and start spreading out the resources throughout the map.  :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Okay, that's the best I can do. Looks a little strange but..err.. it's my style, yeah, very original style..
being an extreme introvert with massive anxiety... I forget this is really, REALLY frustrating for people who are the exact opposite. still, wait this out and stay home...
I hope you all are keeping safe. <3 If you need a shoulder or an ear, I have two of both and am more than willing to listen & support you! Times are weird.
My dad, super frustrated by seclusion, asking me how I live like this. I shrug. "It helps to not like what is outside."
Apparently it's not just people who are hit by corona virus. My phone has set itself to English language on its own. Not that I'm complaining... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imnotanepicgamer