Outside Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaeJaeCee, Oct 19, 2019.

1. JaeJaeCee

JaeJaeCee Emerald Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a question. I asked this in my personal feed and got a few helpful, personal responses but did not get an actual answer to my question, so I am posting it here.

Quick note to the mods, please feel free to move this to the proper thread if this is the wrong place for this question- I wasn't sure where to put it, so this seemed like the likeliest candidate for it.

Alright, here goes.

My grandpa has offered to do image editing- tilesets, characters, the like- for me. But he does not own a copy of MV, and doesn't want to buy a copy of the program. We also don't have that kind of money to spare right now.
    So, is it fully legal for him to do this for me, so long as he has no plan to try to sell his creations outside of this, and only intends the designs for me to use? Or does he have to have MV in order to be allowed to do this?
    My eventual plan when I finish the game the designs are for is to sell the game...

2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If he is just doing image editing, I do not think there will be a problem. The only problem I could see is if he was to try and make a game with the program without having a license.

@bgillisp What do you think?

Marquise* likes this.
  3. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Should be fine. If he needs to do image editing in rpg maker (which I’m not sure how he would), then he’d need to buy the license.

but if he’s just doing image editing in paint.net for example—should be fine.

Now if you bought a dlc, like a tileset, on rpgmakerweb, you cannot send that to him unless he owns the license too.

4. JaeJaeCee

JaeJaeCee Emerald Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JaeJaeCee
    it depends on a few details, most importantly what he will edit.

If he sticks to RTP/Stock resources, then it should not be a problem.
    If he edits images from the internet, it will depend on the licence for those images - be warned that a lot of what is available on the internet is NOT available for edits, especially if it is in the portfolio of an artist (who usually don't allow reposts or edits or other uses).
    if he wants to edit shop DLC, then both you and him need to buy the DLC, you for the licence to use in your game and he for the licence to edit them(if editing is allowed, which is not for all DLC).

Marquise* likes this.