Dragonfire967

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the title may suggest. Is it possible to create a new map of a certain size (say 100 x 100 tiles), and then put an image overlay on it to draw your world to?

For example, I have a world map I made using photoshop, and I want to make a map that matches the shape of my world map (as much as possible) by drawing with the pencil tool tiles to match coastlines, mountains, etc., and then remove that image overlay when finished.

If this is possible, it would save me time when creating a new map from scratch to match an image I am going off of (I create sketches of my worlds in photoshop or with pencil and paper before I ever start to actually design my worlds in the actual program).

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you mean using parallax and use grid tileset? or parallax, and using yanfly doodas that can be places inside
the playtest?

or parallax and parallax overlay image?

BindPicturesToMap is for parallaxing as well for Ocram_Layers plugin this year :D.
there is also Yanfly GridFreeDoodas Plugin that uses seperated images.

there are other plugins and ways to accomplish, or you need to clarify your question a bit more if
this does not provide what you looking for.

Dragonfire967

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me see if I can explain this a bit better using the old style of drawing out something.

Let's say you have an image (for example a top-down view of a house with the roof removed). You place that image on your table, then put a transparent sheet (like acrylic or plastic, for example) over the image, and you then can use a pen, marker, etc., to draw on the transparent sheet the image below it, using it as a guide.

I hope that makes it clearer what I am trying to achieve. I tried creating a new map, with the parallax background set to my image, but it just repeats. I have the map set to 44 x 34 tiles, and my image is 2,112 x 1,632 pixels (which is exactly 44 x 34 tiles if it is segmented into 48 x 48 pixel squares), but it still repeats on the screen (note I am speaking about the draw screen, not while actually play-testing my game).

Right now trying to turn the image into a tilesheet I could use, but due to it's size (about 1,496 tiles), that is taking a while (photoshop isn't cooperating with me, and most tileset generators I don't work correctly for my needs).

If what I am asking is not possible (at least for now) with MV, I can always draw the map by hand, it'll just take me a while going back and forth between the program and my image.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this is possible, it would save me time when creating a new map from scratch to match an image I am going off of (I create sketches of my worlds in photoshop or with pencil and paper before I ever start to actually design my worlds in the actual program).
1) resize your image to be exactly the size of the intended map in pixel.
MV is 48 pixel per tile, so making a 100x100 tile map will require a 4800x4800 pixel picture.
2) import the picture into your project into the folder img/parallaxes
3) create a new map of the correct tilesize
4) in the map properties, select the parallax backgound as the picture and check the box "show in editor"
5) draw your map in the editor until you're satisfied
6) remove the parallax from map properties and the picture from the project to keep it smaller

EDIT:
I have the map set to 44 x 34 tiles, and my image is 2,112 x 1,632 pixels (which is exactly 44 x 34 tiles if it is segmented into 48 x 48 pixel squares),
then you made a mistake somewhere, because if everything is set correct the picture will not repeat - it can't since the map is the same size as the picture

Dragonfire967

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) resize your image to be exactly the size of the intended map in pixel.
MV is 48 pixel per tile, so making a 100x100 tile map will require a 4800x4800 pixel picture.
2) import the picture into your project into the folder img/parallaxes
3) create a new map of the correct tilesize
4) in the map properties, select the parallax backgound as the picture and check the box "show in editor"
5) draw your map in the editor until you're satisfied
6) remove the parallax from map properties and the picture from the project to keep it smaller

EDIT:

then you made a mistake somewhere, because if everything is set correct the picture will not repeat - it can't since the map is the same size as the picture

I think I found the issue, and just fixed it based on what you said. I fiddled with the settings, changing my map sizes. I apparently was off by 1 pixel short on the width, so it auto-resized it and then repeated it. I fixed that, and reset the background, and it works now like I wanted it to.

You both have been awesome, and thank you for being patient. New to the RPG Maker platform, and still learning.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so freaking pissed right now i want to scream and rant and rave
It's a new month, and it's a new start! Let's go guys! There is one song I am listening today that is making me really happy and thinking that I can do anything... I don't know why but J-Pop have this kind of vibe and I love hahahaha
If you want something to bring you up here is a little tip!
Tarzanthecat wrote on hiddenone's profile.
THANK YOU SO MUCH HIDDENONE ADSKFSJDFSKDF
Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autixta