Overlay Mapping Question

ThyNexus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello.

I don't use the forums often so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I've recently decided to do parallax mapping instead of only using tilesets, and as such I've learned about overlay mapping. From what I've searched online, I've only been able to find Yami's scripts for overlay mapping (here). I've tried to follow the instructions as best as I can, but because the demo tutorial is no longer available on Yami's website, I am having trouble finding clear answers to my questions. They are, essentially, as follows:

1. What is the difference between a "parallax" and "ground" layer? Tutorials I've watched online usually call it ground and overlay, so it has me confused.

2. How do I find my Map ID? Yami's script requires that you label pictures with a prefix, map ID, and variable number. However, because I have not used many scripts before, I am unfamiliar with what the Map ID is, exactly. Therefore, I do not understand how to label the pictures.

3. What exactly are the variables? From what I can gather, it offers the ability to switch between different layers of the same type. Does this mean I can assign 3 different "light" pictures 3 variables (1, 2, 3) and then switch between them? How do I control which switch to what?

Apologies of this seems trivial or obvious. While I've had RMVXAce for a while, I've never delved into scripts much, so they still confuse me.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

RGSSx Scripts is for scripts you've made yourself.

Edit: Ninja'd

Kyoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can answer 1 & 2 right off the bat... at least, the best I can...:kaoswt:
1. Ground is something under the player, parallax is something over? At least that's what I can remember considering that's what most plugins do on MV. And I doubt they'll use different names.
2. At the bottom of the window. It'll have like the Map ID: Map Name (Size x Size)
3. I can't answer that at the moment.
I hope this kinda answers your question, because I'm not familiar with the plugin you speak of and I don't own your engine, so I'm basing all of this off of MV's parallax plugins.:kaoswt2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurow