BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As much as I love his plugins, I have the concern that they'll be used so much that they'll become oversaturated. To avoid that, what are some tricks we can come up with to make our games stand out rather than be clones of each other should we use these amazing plugins?

InBlast

The Mad Hamster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Yanfly's plugin allow you to do a looooot of modifications in your game, with the lunatic code. 

Plus, the plugins are not making a good game. You also need to have a good and interesting story, with balancing difficulty, etc... 
I think two games made with Yanfly's plugins can be very differents.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If a plugin accomplishes the goal of my design, than I probably wouldn't be too bothered by how popular it is. Games differ because of how they're designed and executed. The same items can be molded into very different things if we learn how to control the materials instead of letting the materials control us. 

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Plugins are (with a few comissioned examples) universal and can be used in a multitude of games. Graphics/sound are what makes your game stand out at first and story/gameplay in the long run.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Agreeing with both Meg and InBlast, I want to add that if you truly want to be diverse and not use his plugins due to over-saturation, and really, he can't be blamed for this, then your best course of action is to seek someone that can make custom plugins that you'd want to do the same or similar effects of his plugins in MV or learn JS and make your own.  It's same advice as anyone asking about an abundance of games using the RTP/Bundled graphics.  Hire someone or make your own.  Best course of action. :]

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know, what you mean. How many Ace games use Yanfly's battle core plugin? The problem is obviously, that most people tend to gravitate towards the better resources, and YF's work is top of the line. On the other hand, the RM userbase grows steadily with each new iteration, so it's easier to find artists or programmers willing to offer alternate plugins/graphic styles.

Nonetheless, "originality" doesn't matter so much in the end, like everyone said, a game with commonly used resources can be really good, and a really customized one can be bad, it all depends on the creator(s). So I wouldn't worry so much about it. :p

Yanfly

Developer
Reaction score
I've seen this topic come up a couple of times before so I figure I'll drop my 2 cents

The plugins I make will not carry a game. They will not build a game from the ground up as most of the time, they're merely tools to help facilitate your game creation process in what I deem to be the most efficient manner (opinions may vary). Multiple games using my plugins can come out very differently depending on how they use the plugins because the manner in which they, as tools, are used by the craftsman will shape up the games differently.

That said, I've seen some people during the VX and Ace eras say they absolutely refuse to use my scripts because it was too common (the RTP of scripts they called it). So what they did was seek alternatives in similar functionality. Curious as to how those games ran, I went and downloaded their demos and the amount of clashing was almost embarrassing. One menu would contain a gauge in one format while another menu would contain it in a totally different appearance. In-game menus were incredibly unintuive when changing from one to the other (you'd press page up and down to switch actors in the equip menu but then needed to press Left and Right to change it in the skill menu and in the skill tree menu, you couldn't do either at all and would be forced to leave the menus and reselect the actor). The battle system used Tankentai (which was even more common than Melody at the time) so I'm not sure how the person's beliefs of using popular things held up when that bit was decided. In short, by being different for the sake of being different, his game certainly stood out, but I'm not sure if it was in the positive way.

However, knowing that my plugins are extremely common, that's why I typically insert a lot of features to let you customize them to some degree. Be this in Lunatic Mode or certain layouts and orders, it's rare to see my plugins in one game being used exactly the same way as another game would. There even came times where I would browse the Pre-made Action Sequence thread and look at the videos and see people using them in such a way where even I went, "You can do that with my plugins???"

It's all about how you use them~

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's discouraging when the great Yanfly posts in your topic. You feel like you have to do a lot more work and maybe even a little motivated!

Last edited by a moderator:

BTez

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's been said before and it is worth saying again:

As modular as Yanfly's plug-ins are if someone take the time to manipulate them in the way he facilitates, and slap a new coat of paint and sound effects on everything, they would seamlessly melt into a fully realized project. It ain't about the engine you power your game with, but the chassis you stuff it into (going for Nissan GTR myself).

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You could spin this argument in regards to the RPG Maker engine itself. It's not about the tools you're using, it's how you use them. Just look through the project development section on these forums and you'll see how very different the majority of the games are from each other, and many of them are using many of the same plugins. In fact, most of them are using the same engine!

Also...LOL@Dalph's pic.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lot of Yanfly's plugins don't make games the same as each other just by using them (as others have said). Yanfly's battle engine, for example - everyone makes their own awesome skills using the functionality Yanfly gave us. He didn't make the awesome skills, but gave us the tools to make them ourselves.

I could name a lot of Yanfly's plugins that give us a lot more functionality to help us make our games - but if there are any that you think might not look unique if lots of people use it, I'm sure Yanfly won't mind if you modify it for your own project to look different :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can the Eternal Dreamers finish off the final boss? We'll see!
Fekken kill me. I unknowingly swapped out two important events's codes and saved the game to test it. I'm just doing this for fun and the fun has now been replaced with excruciating torture.
Is this how game developers feel all the time?

EDIT:
WAIT HOLY S***
MY LAST POST ASKING FOR HELP ON AN EVENT ACTUALLY SAVED IT
OH MY GOD
Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
I was making a cutscene where Hero's dad got killed by the dragon but when he lose its say game over and send you to the tittle screen. How can remove game over for that cutscene
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charles2020