MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Modifying someone else's code without their consent is a breach of intellectual property. So unless the author explicitly states that someone else may modify the code, you cannot modify the code or ask someone else that isn't authorized to do so.

From my quick read of the link you sent, I don't see that the author has explicitly wrote that editing his code is allowed. You might have to find an alternate solution.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MushroomCake28 what if you make a patch for it? it does not directly alter the original code. Just add an extension of a new script slot to alter the outcome behavior.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen That's actually a really good question and I don't have a definite answer. There hasn't been many cases of situations like that, and I'm not specialized enough to be able to give a clear answer. Some people have argued that it would enter into the "fair use" usage of the code and therefore should be allowed, but no court has ruled on that theory yet from my understanding (in the US and Canada).

However, repairs and maintenance are allowed (although I'm pretty sure that what OP seeks modifies the functionality of the plugin. The real legal question would be if those changes were within the original author's intentions, which I think not). Here's the disposition:

17 U.S. Code § 117.Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs
(c)Machine Maintenance or Repair.—Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner or lessee of a machine to make or authorize the making of a copy of a computer program if such copy is made solely by virtue of the activation of a machine that lawfully contains an authorized copy of the computer program, for purposes only of maintenance or repair of that machine, if—
(1)such new copy is used in no other manner and is destroyed immediately after the maintenance or repair is completed; and
(2)with respect to any computer program or part thereof that is not necessary for that machine to be activated, such program or part thereof is not accessed or used other than to make such new copy by virtue of the activation of the machine.
(d)Definitions.—For purposes of this section—
(1)the “maintenance” of a machine is the servicing of the machine in order to make it work in accordance with its original specifications and any changes to those specifications authorized for that machine; and
(2)the “repair” of a machine is the restoring of the machine to the state of working in accordance with its original specifications and any changes to those specifications authorized for that machine.

Lionheart123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sooo....... Can anyone patch it instead?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please read the terms of the script that you linked.

All requests for patches (including compatibility patches) are to be done in that linked topic on that forum only, so that the original programmer can handle them.

That indirectly states that all other people are forbidden to change that script, and would mean that no one else can legally make the change you're requesting.

That said, modern algebra is usually a kind person. If you were to ask him nicely he should either make changes himself or give you the licence to do so (or seek someone to do so).
However, that is a requirement.
As explained by the posters above, no one here is legally allowed to help you unless you can point to a post that gives you the licence to modify that script.

And if modern algeebra is currently busy and you'll have to wait months before getting an answer - though luck, but you would have to wait for that or break laws, and no one here will help with illegal requests.

EDIT:
That said, your post is missing critical info.
what battles are you talking about?
by default Ace is front view, which means there are no actors in battle to display the changes.
and if you installed a battlescript that gives visible battlers to actors, then you need to link to what other scripts you need them compatible to.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lionheart123 Please wait 72 hours before double posting, even if it's for bumping the thread.

bump, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm truly conflicted with this particular case lol. Legally, the right to the integrity of a work is protected by copyright laws and only an explicit renunciation from the author allows you to edit his work. Even if patches are technically not modifying the default file, it is still unclear legally if they are allowed if the author hasn't explicitly renounced to his right to the integrity of his work. However, it seems to be this forum's custom to allow patches to existing plugins if the author hasn't forbidden modification to his plugin/script since that rarely happens here.

Anyways, I would advise you to follow Andar's advice and try to contact the author of the script and seek help on the forum where the author has posted his script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well it's been almost a whole year since I joined RMW, so i figured I should update my status.
This is my updated status.
Here's a sample of some pixel edits I made.

Maybe for use as sidewalks.
If there are any mods or admins online, could you please see about the re-translation pages for RPG Maker MV? They are all down :rsad:
Werewolf cons: you lose control of yourself once a month and could accidentally kill your friends. Vampire cons: no garlic bread. The choice is simple. Werewolf for sure.
2 huge market drops in 2 days. So glad I sold my non-dividend stocks about 2 weeks ago. And if the dividend ones drop heavily, hey more cheap stocks for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
friskyomega