OwMeEye looking for stuff to let's play.

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by OwMeEye, Apr 3, 2017.

1. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a youtube channel with the name OwMeEye.

My youtube channel

So far I'm keeping to my minimum of 1 uploads per day.

I'm looking for 2000, 2003, vx/ace games mainly, because MV gets laggy on my old machine (more so when recording)... I would have to record elsewhere and that would be a pain. Will upgrade sometime.
    I have some experience with a bunch of different rpg makers, and I'm very interested in game design. I also played loads of rpg maker games. Including fun games like yume niki, a blurred line, a bunch of those cute horror games, and many others.

I'm still starting and learning things, so I don't want to commit to very long games and post 30 videos of a single game for a month, but I can play for an hour or few. I can do casual let's plays or more in depth criticism/analysis, whichever you like.

I'll try to update this post with links to the let's plays/trys/reviews/etc.

I hope we can be great friends and have fun together!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Guiguimu and TheTitan99 like this.
  2. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

Kilauea, Mt. Etna, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Loa, Mt. Merap
    First Language:
    English
    Guiguimu and OwMeEye like this.
  3. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's really long but I'll give it a look and see if I can at least showcase some of it.
    Done

I gave it a go, may continue it for a while longer, for now there's one video ^_^ Hope you will enjoy it!
    Part 1

4. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

Kilauea, Mt. Etna, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Loa, Mt. Merap
    First Language:
    English
    Thanks again for checking out my game! I love the thumbnail, fits perfectly. I hope it was enjoyable enough to continue.

Guiguimu and OwMeEye like this.
  5. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Glad you like it! ^_^ Don't know if my throat is up to 15 hours of audio recording of it, but I'll definitely check and play some more of it!

This kind of concept is very interesting and reminiscent of other great games like undertale, alphaland(flash), fez (a little bit), or even stanley parable, an interesting rpg maker take on similar philosophical ideas ^_^

Guiguimu likes this.
  6. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I continue to explore the world of Geiken, still unsure if the reality glitched out or if it was never finished to begin with. The npc's vague memories of what once was makes me think that the world was at one point complete, and then, for an unknown reason, it broke.

Long videos.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  7. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you still looking for games to play? I love seeing people play my Save Your Mother game.

OwMeEye likes this.
  8. TheTitan99

TheTitan99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a RPG Maker VX Ace game, that can be found here:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-root-of-all-evil-a-micro-rpg.64205/

It isn't too story driven. Instead, it focuses on combat, exploration, and atmosphere. It is heavily based around resource management, from MP to Items to Gold. It is also pretty short. I can beat it in 1 1/2 hours, not sure a new comer. 2-3? If you don't die? It is pretty hard, but also has easier difficulty settings which I'd recommend, as hard mode is meant to be HARD.

I like seeing blind reactions, as a lot of the game is meant to teach you as you play. Like, you just know where to go based on how the terrain is set up, how to fight based on how enemies look and act. The best way to see if this actually WORKS or not is blind LPs.

So, if you do get around to this, I really would be thankful!

OwMeEye likes this.
  9. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I continue trying to break out of the machine in the 3'd part of Gaiken and videos keep growing in size.

##################################3

I would love to, but currently have some financial issues and can't justify buying games. I'd love to once I'm in better condition ^_^

I'll give it a look and a try ^_^
    ***edit*** Two long videos a day are a bit tough, but I gave it a try. May continue later. (Also left a review of my first impressions in the game's thread)

Orgaya, Tuomo L and TheTitan99 like this.
  10. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Today I bring you Orgaya, part 4, in which we learn why addiction is bad.
    Orgaya has some pretty good writing, and I'm quite impressed with the game and it's massive size even if it's lacking some final touches.

As well as The Root of All Evil, part 2, in which I notice that I have leaky pockets.
    I notice some interesting mechanics and become a bit more engaged.

11. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yesterday, after I recorded Gaiken and The root of all evil, I decided to check Umbral Souls, which has an amazing prologue and you can also check it on my channel if you like! But after a total of almost 4 hours it tired my throat a bit XD

Today I ended up recording a bit late, and still a bit tired from yesterday, I hope it doesn't come up in the videos too much.

Still, my conviction to at least 1 video per day continues, and I bring you the next video of Gaiken

I also recomend checking Umbral Soul on my channel, and playing the game yourself, that prologue is an amazing experience.
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/8865/?p=1#posts

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    TheTitan99 and Guiguimu like this.
  12. TheTitan99

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Leaky Pocket stuff is explained at the start, you skipped over the explanation. No harm done, though, as you figured it out on your own. But it is explained at the start.

I'm glad you're enjoying it more now, though it clearly isn't your favorite. Don't forget you have repels, a lot of them, to avoid enemies.

OwMeEye likes this.
  13. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Probably did, I have to admit that it's easier to miss things when you are concentrating on reading things and trying to entertain people XD But it's an interesting mechanic either way. I plan to continue your game until the end, but it looks like I'm bogged down with all the videos a bit. Yes, I usually prefer more dialogue-heavy, story centered games and more action based battle systems. But I do plan to finish it up. But it may take me some more day before I continue on it, I've been uploading a lot of these videos. Gaiken is a pretty long game, and I wanted to try that Umbral Soul game as well because it has an interesting premise, but that game seems even longer.
    I was afraid this would happen if started playing long games, and it did. I hope everyone is enjoying my commentary either way ^_^

For now I have another part of Geiken, and there's also another part of Umbral Soul on my channel for those interested.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  14. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    One more episode of Geiken incoming, got a little lost at the end and explored fast empty lands.
    I think I will take a break from Gaiken for tomorrow and instead you will get an episode of The root of all Evil, because that one is supposed to be much shorter than the others so perhaps I can get it finished soon enough.

15. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a game made in RPG Maker 2000. It's actually my first game, so it's a bit rough around the edges. It's non-linear and expects you to go out and explore on your own to find quests or bits of story to complete. It should take about 2 to 3 hours to complete if you don't run into problems (download comes with a walkthrough in case you do get stuck somewhere). Link to the game page: https://rpgmaker.net/games/4770/.
    Not really looking for a review kind of video (as I already know which parts I screwed up), but a casual let's play with some honest thoughts on it should be fine.

16. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'll give it a look ^_^

Meanwhile here's my stuff for today

gaiken part 8, more exploration, relaxing in the forest, rude cultist and getting stumped on a puzzle

the root of all evil... I tried to finish this one, I really did, but, I'm sorry Titan, it was just too frustrating for me. Wasn't sure if I should even upload this, but it's up there, just unlisted, I thought it may be of some use anyway. I got really frustrated from the death-chase area and the following boss, for various reasons, including the trial-and-error map desing, and difficulty which I feel is far too high for anything that was called "easy" difficulty.
    It may be fun to watch if you like shadenfreude ;p Watch at your own accord if you want to watch a frustrated player playing a game.

part 3 (ragequit and strong language) and part 4 (defeating level 4 boss)

I don't want to fight the last boss, the 4'th level boss was frustrating enough as is, so this will likely be the end of the let's play. Maybe it's a game for people who like higher difficulty than I do. As my final thoughts, it had some interesting mechanics, the puzzles were fairly difficult while also kind of plain, a lot of trial and error as well. But, I'm not a fan of having to fight random encounters on a puzzle map, and while my gold is continuously draining. I like it more when there are no encounters mixed with puzzles, while this is more like, puzzles, with random encounters, and while on a timer... without the ability to run, I feel that is a bit much. I'm not sure what is the difference when at the start of the game you chose the easier gold option (I guess your gold doesn't drain by itself at least?), because I didn't try that. But I am playing on the easy difficulty here, and what I encountered wasn't easy.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    TheTitan99 and Milennin like this.
  17. TheTitan99

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, you played it, and didn't like it. I'd much, much rather have someone dislike something and tell me honestly that they don't, than dislike something, and try to avoid saying as such for some such nonsense as hurting my feelings.

That being said, I do not have time to actually watch 3 hours of video for now... maybe in a day or 2, work week is starting up tomorrow, and that stuff's BUSY. And I don't wanna casually watch this, I always like focusing in on peoples comments of my work, and take notes on it. I've filled long text files with notes on this game from feedback I've gotten on it.

I think that, as you mentioned in your message, one of this game's biggest problems is that it doesn't always communicate well with the player. As it's title says, this is meant to be a Micro RPG. You go through all the motions of an RPG, but way, way faster. Start with some little wizard and knight boss, an hour later, fighting a Death God! As such, I wanted to avoid extra detail as much as possible, to keep it, well, Micro. That meant virtually no cutscenes, unless absolutely needed. I wanted the game to make it clear how to play simply from the level design. Wanted is the key word. Your opinion as a blind player is more important than mine on this, as I have a bias of knowing my game beforehand.

I look forward to watching these videos in full... though I really do not have time to right now, unfortunately. But, I greatly appreciate you giving my game a shot, even when you weren't liking it! That's dedication that you never had to do!

18. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I opened a conversation with you on pm and left some more of my thoughts and pondering how things could be made better. If I was playing the game again I would try using that mind meld skill more for the bosses like one of the people suggested, alas then it wouldn't be blind. I guess because it was one of the first skills, and costed a lot of mp, and I had no use for it initially, I kind of skimmed over it and didn't think of using it to have a party heal, I think it would have made things a little bit easier at the very least, although it uses a massive amount of mp, and it doesn't solve the one-hit-kills.
    Other things I mentioned, like a mixture of elements, for example having random encounters on the puzzle map, while running from battles costs you a massive amount of money which is absolutely required to use skills, so I'm forced to fight every single random encounter while trying to solve a puzzle which requires me to walk from one side of an area to another, you can feel my mood being drained in that video slowly XD As I get more and more frustrated and tired. And being frustrated only makes me play worse. But it's alright, that's what playtesters are for XD

Meanwhile, I bring you the videos for today ^_^ Geiken part 9, Beta (semi-full), and you can also check more Umbral soul on my channel if you liked that one.

geiken - part 9
    In which I'm helped through a rather convoluted puzzle by Orgaya. Thanks for the help, there's no way I would figure this one out by myself XD

I also bring you Beta (semi-full, without ending cause some quests bugged out)
    This one is for Milennin. Includes some very fast narration as I try to play through it whole in one go XD 2.5 hour

Milennin likes this.
  19. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for playing the game, was a fun watch. :D I located the part that blocked progress, and put out a new version that should let you proceed with the quest now if you can be bothered to play more of it, lol. It should be less than an hour left to finish from there if all goes well.

20. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A new part of Geiken (10), playing with flowers and solving more puzzles with the relaxing music. Went up till the point where I got stuck again.
    There's also a new part of Umbral Soul on my channel (part 6)

TheTitan99 likes this.