Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
PAC Main Menu 1.1

Pacman

Introduction

This is the PAC Main Menu converted to VX Ace. On a basic level, this offers a configurable setup for your main menu, allowing the user to create, alter and move the position of menu commands at their pleasure. It can be used very simply to merely reorder the default commands, or to its' fullest potential, that is creating commands to put custom scenes into the menu. It also offers two graphical features: adding an EXP gauge into the menu status window, and adding icons into the command display. Both are optional and customizable.

Features

• Easily customize and move about the commands in the menu. You can even create your own!
  • You can rename commands, change what they do (why would you want to though), and change the conditions required to use it.
  • Icons for commands are now implemented in the menu. Optional, naturally.
  • An EXP gauge is included in the actors' window. It may look out of place, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. It is, of course, optional.
  • A map name window and a playtime window are included in the script. They are completely optional. As is the gold window now.
  • The menu now remembers which command you were last on at all times, even after saving.
  • The menu now immediately goes to actor selection if the command you just came from required actor selection.
  • You can assign a button to heal the party when it is pressed in the menu during test play.
  • You can choose to have the side windows on the left or right.

Screenshots

Here we see the menu being AWESOME.

How to Use

Paste above Main, below Materials. For best compatibility put it at the top of your custom scripts list. There are detailed configuration instructions in the script header. If you have any inquiries, please ask me.

Demo

I don't think it's very necessary. There are no in-game options, and the script itself is a demo.

Script

Get it at Pastebin.

FAQ

None yet. Ask something!

Credit and Thanks

- Pacman

- Want to be thanked? Suggest something, I might do it, put your name here and you might get a warm fuzzy feeling!

Author's Notes

My favourite note this week is the D above middle C (293.665 Hz), and my favourite synthetic tone is a sine wave.

Also, I guess, considering compatibility, if you expect this to work with another menu system, do not expect that. And my terms of use: You may use this script in any non-commercial project with credit. Contact me if you wish to use this in a commercial project. You may edit this script and use it in your own project, or even release it as your own script, as long as I am credited (being notified would also be nice).

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
http://pacmanvx.word...-compact-addon/

I've created a graphical addon to this menu. Read about it at my blog. Here's a screenshot of the change it makes:

So, there's that. I've also updated the base script with a bugfix and a fundamental change in the way the extra windows are handled which allows the addon to run much smoother.

Dr.Yami

。◕‿◕。
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
That menu add-on is perfectly ugly you know. I think you should resize the clock window, it's out-sized.

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
NO, YOU ARE UGLY AND OUT-SIZED. >_>

Script updated so you can change the height of that window, which is now defaulted to smaller. Would change the screenshot if wasn't lazy.

AlaiaVee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
NO, YOU ARE UGLY AND OUT-SIZED. >_>

Script updated so you can change the height of that window, which is now defaulted to smaller. Would change the screenshot if wasn't lazy.
No need to get offended Pacman, Yami was only offering a critique. Realize that her native language is Vietnamese and so she probably wasn't meaning to be harsh or rude.

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yami and I are familiar with each other (friends?). I was joking. I know there was no harm meant, and there was no harm done. Just a jocular banter.

Dr.Yami

。◕‿◕。
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Yeah yeah just a joke between friends :p . Anyway, I thought You gave up on Ace ? o_O

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I guess I'm back now :D

Dr.Yami

。◕‿◕。
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Okay then. Welcome back :)

Hope You make more useful scripts <3

Rello

GERGtheNERD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Profanity
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Would would the process be as far as making the command list horizontally tiered rather than vertically?

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Doing that would force a decrease in the height of the actor window. That would make it so that 4 actors don't fit neatly into it. What I could do is make the command window horizontal, decrease the height of the actor window to fit 3 actors nicely (and allow scrolling), and shift the info windows to beneath the actor window. Would you like that?

Rello

GERGtheNERD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Profanity
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had plans to redesign the actor layout, just trying to figure out how to get horizontal commands to work. :p If you wouldn't mind doing it and kinda explaining it, it'd be very appreciated.

Pacman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's a class called Window_HorzCommand, which is basically an automatically horizontal command window. If you make the menu command window inherit from that, it won't be difficult to change some values around and make it work.

raikenjenova

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Kinda need it for the simple menu style, thanks! :)

Username21

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
NotUrBusiness
Primarily Uses
Hey,
I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I disable/enable the save menu (for ex. if I want to save only at checkpoints?). A little help would be really appreciated ^^

GreyStone84

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatus Nunc
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An EXP gauge is included in the actors' window. It may look out of place, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. It is, of course, optional.

Hey there, great script! I was just playing around with it a little, trying to tweak the EXP bar area. I've adjusted your code, however to get it to work absolutely perfect, I also had to adjust a little script in the game's script. I was wondering, with your expertise (I know a little C++ but no Ruby and am far from making any scripts) if I provided the changes I made, can you make it so your script makes these changes without users having to adjust the game's script work?

Your profile says you haven't been on for nearly a year, so not sure how else to contact you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.
Gamedev for relaxing? yes or no?
I've been having a rough couple of months and as such let down some friends of mine in the RPG Maker community. I still need time to get back to my normal self, but it's nice to be back, to read articles, and to design again (albeit at a slow pace). Hope to give updates on Kid Crescent soon.
Friendly reminder that you don't have to be able to do absolutely everything. It's okay to scale back features or assets if things are too much - especially if you're the only one working on the game! And you can always add things in later. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Berserk94