Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I hope I post this in the right thread. :D

I want to know some recommended paid tilesets (for MV).
I've heard great things about tilesets like FSM , but that's that.
Are there other great tilesets for RPG Maker MV?
(preferably tilesets that include snowfield and desert, but anything's alright)

My other questions are:
1. What is included in a paid tileset? Does it include a complete package of A, B, and C tileset (inside and outside)?
2. Is it okay to edit the paid tileset, as long as it's not redistributed and only used on my own project?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) depends on the specific DLC.
Some tilesets are meant as RTP-addons and contain only a few tilesheets meant to be added to the existing ones. Other tilesets are meant as complete replacements and contain more tiles.
you'll have to check the desriptions, each lists how many tiles you get in that specific pack.

2:) again depends on the DLC.
MOST are ok with edits, but there are some specific packages where editing is prohibited - those are usually where pictures of existing japanese series are sold for fans of those series, and again they are marked with the limits in the descriptions in the shop.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Celianna's Ancient Dungeons sets are beautiful. They were first created for Ace, and I don't think all have been redone for MV, so if you grab them, make sure of the format. Some of them are also for parallax mapping, so you won't be able to shove everything into a tileset. They're still great though.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar
Thanks for the clarification.
It's good to know I can still edit the tileset to fit my needs.

@Shaz
I just checked out Celianna's Ancient Dungeon pack.
It's on VX Ace format, but the ToU says it's allowed to use for any game engine.
Does it mean I'm allowed to use it on any game engine as long as I have VX Ace?
(I don't have VX Ace)
*On another note, I'm pretty excited to know that her Jungle pack
includes architecture that resemble Indonesian temples. :D

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Jungle pack is only for Ace. The Base pack and Winter pack have one version for Ace and one for MV. If you want to use the Jungle pack in MV, you would have to resize the tiles, which usually leads to a quality loss. Some packs also do not allow editing of tiles (which would include resizing) but I don't see anything about that on these.

Where did you see that it's allowed to use in any game engine? I checked all 5 packs on the store, and they all specifically state they're allowed for use in RPG Makers only. I did not see anything saying you need to own Ace in order to use it in a different (RPG Maker) engine.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where did you see that it's allowed to use in any game engine? I checked all 5 packs on the store, and they all specifically state they're allowed for use in RPG Makers only.
It's stated on the ToU of this page:
But I won't use it for other than RPG Maker though.

I did not see anything saying you need to own Ace in order to use it in a different (RPG Maker) engine.
There's no such statement, but I'm just asking it to be sure.

The Jungle pack is only for Ace. The Base pack and Winter pack have one version for Ace and one for MV. If you want to use the Jungle pack in MV, you would have to resize the tiles, which usually leads to a quality loss. Some packs also do not allow editing of tiles (which would include resizing) but I don't see anything about that on these.
I think I'd resize the Ancient Dungeon if it's only for Ace.
But I just realized that there are MV versions too (and there's a winter theme). :D

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So if you buy it from Celianna's site, you can use it in any engine, including non-RPG Maker engines. But if you buy it from RPG Maker Web, you can only use it in RPG Maker, but in any desktop version.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz
So different store have different rules, I'd keep that in mind. :)

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personally I always send people to the PVGames assets. They come with tiles, player and enemy models. Plus as a bonus they're not engine locked, so you can use them other places even outside of games. At least some of the graphics I use in my game are modified versions of those. :LZSwink:

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ImaginaryVillain
I just checked it out and honestly they look amazing at very reasonable prices.
However I currently looking for regular 2d jrpg visuals.

It'd be great for more western style rpgs.
Thank you for sharing it!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So different store have different rules,
no, even different packs in the same store can have different rules.
Degica once had a store section where some of the DLC was sold with an "any engine" licence but for a higher price than the same resources with the regular "RM-only" licence.

Those licences are no longer available, but some people are lucky enough to still have them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
there's lots of great paid MV sets out there.

1. It entirely depends, but many sets focus on A5/B/C/D tiles and less on autotiles (though you can still find sets that include them)
2. check the terms. many sets allow for editing/adapting for your game, but not all do. just make sure.

Celianna and PandaMaru both make amazing sets. I don't recall if Panda sells any or if they're all free, but I know Celianna has paid assets available. Again, both are amazing, absolutely top tier (true pro quality). PM for other suggestions (Cyanide comes to mind, but I know I'm missing some here).

My view is that paid assets are a huge plus in the community. There's lots of free stuff, but if everything was free, then it would be almost impossible to make your game visually distinctive. Commissioning costs A LOT (hundreds per sheet, thousands all together), so sets that cost $10 - $50 for several sheets offer a great value and help set your game apart.

I actually see releasing sets in this way a community service and split my time between free and paid assets. Some people will complain that "you're trying to make money" but the fact is, it's not about the money for most paid asset creators. I make 10x as much per hour of work at my "real" job. The idea is to create game assets that are accessible to serious creators who don't have as many resources as bigger dev organizations.

Pammercakes

Spacedust
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Gonna gush about First Seed Material for a sec because FSM is absolute top quality! Their sets usually have complete A1-A5 and all the letter sheets AND they often have alternate/extra sheets with different colors or more small decorations so you can mix and match bits to your liking!

If you're looking to have a more "mature" feel for your game, I think FSM is the best for that.

They post prototype stuff on their blog that you can get for free too!: REFMAP Blog

And my suggestion, since I haven't seen it posted yet, is Time Fantasy! Completely different style from FSM, but I think TF has even more content in the "different settings" department!

There's the regular ol' European type Fantasy stuff but then there's also Japanese, Modern and Steampunk sets, a set specifically for a ship, packs of characters, NPCs and animals! The list is really long!

And it's gets even more extensive when you dive into the FREE stuff! Time Fantasy: Free Graphics
The amount of free stuff in there is bonkers!:ewat:

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Starbird_Resources
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
The price range of paid tileset is really good for the buyer,
considering how much effort it takes to create good tiles (let alone functional).
It's not surprising to see that tileset commission cost hundreds or thousands.

@Pammercakes
Sometimes I stumbled upon Time Fantasy too. Great retro look!
But I just know that they have some free assets too. Wow! :kaomad2:

FSM seems to be the "go to" in terms of paid tileset,
but I wonder if there are snow themed or desert themed ones?
(even it don't have these, I think I'm gonna buy it anyway, simply because it's great xD)

Pammercakes

Spacedust
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Unfortunately, FSM doesn't have official desert or snow themed sets yet. :kaocry:

They do have some free snowy themed tiles scattered around on the blog! You could collect all those and put them together with an image editing program to make your tileset!

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FSM is most likely your best bet (they have a lot of great tiles for free up on their blog site, including snow themed ones) but I also like Kokoro Reflections. They have a ton of different types of tile sets including a desert themed one.

Kokoro Reflections Link:

FSM Blog Link:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate