Pale Echoes

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Rhaeami, Jul 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

Hello, everyone!  Now that the development period for the Indie Game Maker Contest is all wrapped up, I've decided to start a humble little topic for my own entry into the RPG category:

Pale Echoes

Now, I feel like the first thing I should say about the game is that it was made entirely using the standard RTP for VX Ace, with just a little amateur script editing and a whole bunch of battle events.  Not only that, but it's my first project on the program.  So, I can easily imagine that some RPG Maker veterans would be hesitant to try it out, with so many other amazing entries to choose from.  Please, go ahead and give those a play instead, they certainly deserve your attention!

If, however, you're willing to give my game a shot, then I would welcome any and all possible feedback.  I have no delusions of grandeur here - a more experienced team will (and should!) take the prize for this contest.  That said, if I could use this opportunity to learn what strengths I may or may not have in game design, or even, perhaps, actually provide someone with a little entertainment, then that would be reward enough for me.

So, give it a look, if you have the time to spare.  I look forward to seeing what people think.  Thank you! :cutesmile:

Archeia likes this.
  2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the review, Indrah.  :)

Your feedback was spot on, and actually touched on a lot of problems I had wished I could fix.  It was my first time working with the program, so there were a lot of things I wished I could do better.  For instance, you mentioned not easily being able to see quick and easy info for each character, or for enemy states... simple reason for that, I don't know how!  Even now I've no idea how to do that with RPG Maker.  Definitely something I'm hoping to polish up once I learn how.  :dizzy:

It's also a good perspective to see that you wanted it to be a bit less.... slow.  You know, not so much random dialogue interruptions, and such.  It's good to hear, since it's outside of my own tastes so much, but definitely something I wish I could fix.  I'd do a lot of things differently if I could build this game again.  I'm at least happy to have gotten an "interesting idea" from you, though.  Not bad for a first, super-rushed attempt, I like to think.  ;)

Anyway, thanks again!

4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Presentation wise, there are some mapping glitches here and there. I also  didn’t like some of the mapping choices as they were too glaring for me to ignore. The carpets, the water tiles, etc. There are some text cutoffs and minor spelling mistakes were found which really is bump down. The UI could use some work. It’s really hard trying to remember what each memories do, especially during memory synching. It’s just a chore to open and close the menu to remember what each character can do.  The music choice of the game is anticlimactic and really makes the battles boring at times. However, the game has an interesting way to tell its story and the character narratives, though short, was amazing. I love how it portrayed character motives and personality in such a simple manner. 

The gameplay is unique and consistent. I like how simple conversations within battles add a layer of strategy to the game. The only irritating thing is how many memories I waste to miss one turn when an enemy can instantly kill me. I also wish the UI was a lot more accommodating to the nature of the game’s battle system. It’s hard to remember what does what. Another main beef, after completing the entire Lexicon to 100% and memories as well, the game rewards me with a 5000 HP boss and rewards me with a congratulations. The ending was rushed too. It felt overall unsatisfactory.

Otherwise though, I really liked this game and would love to see it remade/polished.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Stoic likes this.