Panic at Casa Corotto

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by samshazam, Jul 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. samshazam

samshazam Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Panic at Casa Corotto is an exploration/boss rush RPG about a head waiter who finds himself in deep trouble when his beloved restaurant becomes infiltrated by the mob! Battles in the game are very limited but difficult, so be sure to scrounge around for whatever supplies you can find to help you win battles as you try to outsmart the mob and save Casa Corotto!

Contest Page
    ^Download Here^
     ​
    About Us
    We are Sammy Roach and Hubert Orlowski, a couple who enjoys playing video games and loves coming up with ideas for games of our own.​
     ​
    Sammy: I used to make games in RPG Maker 2000/2003 all of the time when I was around 12-14, with several attempts that always went unfinished, some never making it past a first cutscene! I bought RPG Maker VX Ace a year ago and this contest has re-invigorated my RPG Maker spirit. So, hello! This is my first post here actually and I think it'll be one of many!​
     ​
    Features
    Various puzzles involving pushing and pulling things, finding things and navigating things!​
     ​
    Battle  threats to the restaurant! There are no shops and no automatic health recovery, keep your eyes open for supplies to help you continue!​
     ​
    Less than an hour of gameplay, just enough for a (hopefully) satisfying appetizer!​
     ​
    An original soundtrack composed by Hubert himself!​
     ​
    Characters
    [​IMG]

Victor Snetterley - The no-nonsense head waiter of Casa Corotto. He has held the position for ten years and is credited with building the restaurant's reputation with his impeccable service.

[​IMG]
    Margot Eberhart - The head chef at Casa Corotto. Some might think of her as cold, but she is actually a deeply caring and emotional person who is extremely perceptive of the people around her.

[​IMG]
    Neil McGinnis - Casa Corotto's dishwasher. He takes pride in leaving the dishes sparkling, and is known for his relaxed attitude and offbeat interests.

[​IMG]
    Holly Angelopoulos - Casa Corotto's bartender, an up-and-coming talent among mixologists in the city. She is currently juggling her career rise with wedding planning efforts, bringing her characteristic determination to both.
     ​
    Screenshots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits
    Graphics
    Sammy Roach
    Hubert Orlowski
    Ayene
    Enterbrain
    Celianna
    Eriol Clowphengire for the Koemushi Sprite Template

Scripts
    Yanfly
    Galv
    Vlue
    KillaZapit
    Shaz

Music
    Hubert Orlowski

Sound
    Enterbrain

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This sounds fun, looking forward to the screenshots!  :)

3. samshazam

First Language:
    English
    Screenshots are up! ALSO THERE IS A BUG. A big bug. Don't go in the washroom, you won't get out. SORRY!! I promise there is nothing of value in the toilets.

[​IMG]

4. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *Resists making a joke about the customers' desperate need to pee* Oh, wait.

Edit: Like the title screen btw!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  5. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks interesting - I will add it to my list of "to try" games!

7. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Premise is amusing, and the restaurant setting is promising.
    +/- Mapping is oddly uneven. Smaller rooms are fine, but some places are randomly big and bare (the corridor and the kitchen are the ones I saw) and need revision.
    +/-Main character bounces off well other characters, but is lackluster when alone. This makes the first couple areas a bit bland to get through.
    - Faces seem to have a different style from the main character (nice) to the others (not so nice).
    -The comedy doesn’t really start until after three “quests”. It’s a bit boring.
    -The game seems to be a bunch of sidequests. This isn’t bad per se, but the setting up for them (especially when the main is alone) can be bland and uninteresting.
    -Combat is…odd. It feels like skills don’t actually make much difference, and their descriptions don’t really convey what they do.
    -Overall lacks a good hook to get the player invested.

To the developer: Not bad, not great. I’m running out of things to say about this kind of project: they’re apparently early projects from the developers and are a good effort for that level of skill, but lack a good hook or engagement factor to lure players into keeping at it.
    It lacks some polish overall and none of the elements are great, but none are terrible either. I’d recommend strengthening the text a bit to be more engaging, as the setting seems the strongest factor of the game.

8. samshazam

First Language:
    English
    Hey thanks so much for all of your comments and criticisms Indrah, this will really help us as we work on a bigger, better post-competition re-release. Definitely the things like bland combat and such will be addressed, and I definitely hear you on the need to make the first parts more interesting. If I could trouble you, do you have any suggestions for ways to improve player engagement/investment? Maybe adding more elements of mystery to the story or something? Just making the gameplay more interesting? I know when I played Sunken Spire I couldn't put it down (fantastic game by the way, I'll get around to writing a review at some point haha) so I trust you know how to get players engaged!  Also I love your accent. Thanks for all your input!