Parallax Background effects during Battles

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by brunobay.g, Dec 15, 2015.

1. brunobay.g

brunobay.g Veteran Veteran

Hello there,

I was looking for some plugin for RPGM-MV that would create animations on the battle background image. I believe it is possible to achieve some -x and -y movements without any extra plugin, but I believe that some distortion effetcs could be exploited, such as sine wave effects.

I've searched for some plugins of parallax moving, but they were all for map creation. Here is a good example of what I was looking for, although it was written for RPGM-VX ACE and the instructions are in portuguese: http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/Battle/ACE_BAT06.html

And here is a way to implement nice psychedelic backgrounds on javascript: https://gjtorikian.github.io/Earthbound-Battle-Backgrounds-JS/

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  2. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but my Gif plugin allows you to use Image Strips as background images, that are animated like Gifs. Also, i recently made looping videos usable as title backgrounds and it shouldn't be hard to do the same for battle backgrounds.

3. brunobay.g

Your plugins looks like pretty interesting for me, could you provide it to me and one demo with its usage, if any?

Thanks in advance!

4. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The plugin threads are linked in my signature (open the spoiler) and each of them contains a link to the plugin itself. There is a demo video for Video Title, but nothing for the Gif plugin so far. I'm kind of lazy, when it comes to making demos :/

5. brunobay.g

Ok, I see. How am I supposed to set up the gif plugin parameter? Should I use the complete url from my file (for example, C:\Users\Desktop\myImage_animated_4_100.png) ?

And after the parameter is set, how should I call it for an specific image for an specific event, like, when the start of a battle takes place?

About the video plugin, will it only work for the title screen? Or could I simply add an instruction on a script for battle event, for instance? Sorry if the questions are utterly stupid, but I am still getting used with the maker...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The plugin parameters define the format your images need to have. So, if you leave it at the standard "_animated_(\d+)_(\d+)" and name your image "myImage_animated_4_100.png", it will be split in 4 images and updates every 100 frames.

You don't have to enter a specific image. Just use it like normally (show picture / battle background / ...) and as long as it conforms to the specified format, it will be treated as an animated image.

The video plugin currently only works for the title screen, but it could be adapted for other backgrounds (battle, gameover, maybe even parallaxes). Remember, that movies are bigger than images, though, before you end up bloating your project ^^

7. brunobay.g

Ok, but where the gif image should be located? Do I need to put it in the background folder or somewhere else?

8. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Doesn't matter, it's loaded like a normal image, so for a battle background you would put it either in the img/battlebacks1 or img/battlebacks2 folder.

9. Kest

Kest The Ecstasy of Gold Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tsukihime was working on something like this

10. brunobay.g

@Iavra, I've managed to execute your plugin properly, thanks for the help! As you said, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but at least I was happy to know that at least it is possible to do some kind of animation. Thanks again!

@Kest, do you know if Tsukihime work is already finished? Would there be any link or something for his work? Thanks in advance!

11. Kest

Kest The Ecstasy of Gold Veteran

First Language:
    English