Parallax map jumps/stutters on loading

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Idiot, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My MV and project are 1.6.1, and none of my maps have more than a few events on them yet.

Comp specs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Processor says '2 cores, 4 logical processors after cut-off)

My maps seem to load layer-by-layer slowly once loaded.

I made a couple gifs of the problem on two different maps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the parallax settings for the maps in question, as well as a shot of all my plugins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My project is still in the very early stages, so I'm not quite sure how to fix this loading issue. If anyone had any advice I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What about your PC hardware specs?

3. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you explain what we see in the GIFs? Its not realy clear to me, the pictures are disapearing after game start. You said they are loading one by one? Did i missread?

Do you have another Event or Common Event on Autorun on that Map?
    Because autorun Events start after the map is allready visible for a split second, and aslong the autorun event runs/is active, your paralell events will wait and not execute. Maybe this is a possible cause? But to guess better we need more infos. =)
    (Autoruns normaly are used for cutscenes were the player cant move with button input and other paralell events also wait until the cutscene/autorun is over)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Idiot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for reminding me! I'll add it to my opening post!

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The parallel process will start to run before the map is loaded, but there no guarantee that it is finished before you can see it, as parallel means run at the same time as the engine. The only way to really prevent this is to fade out before loading the map, then do a fade in once all of the parallaxes are loaded.

6. Idiot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's a little more visible in the second gif: On loading it seems like the map loads the top left corner, then 'jumps' over to be where the players starting position actually is. I say it seems to load by layer because I can see the flash of pink from my passability tiles. Here's a full screen gif of it that might be clearer:

[​IMG]

No other autorun events are currently on the map.

7. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try to show Picture1
    than bind picture1
    than show picture2
    than bind picture2
    maybe it makes a difference. (I dont know, but would be one thing i would test)

than like the other user mentioned you could show the pictures with 0% transparency, bind them to the map and than change transparency with move picture command. (also no clue if this works, but thats how we work, trial and error)

8. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Parallel process events start only when the map is ready. In other words after it's already been drawn. That's why you see the pink squares in there. Increase the fadeout and fadein times.

9. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One more thing to Test: Turn the Frequency of the Paralell Event to "Highest", if its just on "Normal" it might not directly start and wait a moment, i observed something like that a few days ago,cant remember if it was only for autonomous moveroute start, or also for this, so just please test it.

10. Idiot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see. I'm not really sure where to edit the fadeout/in from the title screen, but that seems to help map transfers a bit. The jumps only happen the very first time I visit a map - if I leave and come back it loads perfectly. I've been trying to add fade ins/outs to the start of the parallax event as well as trying to tint the screen and fade from that, but neither have seemed to work, so I'm definitely doing something wrong there.

@Bex - I gave both your suggestions a try, and neither seemed to work, but thank you for your advice!!

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    how big is your map and how big are your parallax files?
    A picture can only be displayed after its file is completely loaded, and that takes time the larger the file is.

And a large parallax really slows down the computer - never forget that a parallaxed map needs several THOUSAND times the RAM a tiled map needs.

12. Idiot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The village map is 45x28 (2160x1344) and the layers add up to ~9MB. I'm still pretty new to working with parallax, so I don't have a frame of reference for what's too large to be efficient quite yet.

13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nope, you're wrong here. The filesize of your pictures is NOT the size it needs inside the RAM, because you can't work on compressed data.

50x30 on parallax should be doable, but it goes to the limits - especially with four layers of parallax.

Just to give you the correct calculations:
    2160x1344x3 (for 24 Bit Color) means 8709120 Bytes for ONE parallax picture. That's 8MB per layer or 32 MB with the four layers you have.

Still it should be doable unless there is something else wrong - unfortunately I can't see your gifs so I can't say what the true cause of the effect might be, I can only guess.
    And you didn't give your full computer specs - for example there is nothing saying how much RAM your computer has, which might be not enough if that number is lower.

14. Idiot

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I see! Thank you for telling me!

I added my RAM specs in my first post now - I have 12GB RAM.

I'll see if I can find a plugin that might help with the shadows/lighting so I can cut down two of the layers, and see if that helps.

15. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    one last casual noob idea of mine^^ in case the initial loading of the game has something to do with this, because you said after the first load it works. So maybe to much stuff is loaded at once at game start.
    So start your game on a Black empty map. Have a paralell event which waits for a few frames than teleports to normal start map.

16. Eliaquim

Eliaquim Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese - Br
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there!
    If I'm right your pictures has the size of 9MB, right?
    Besides the tips that the guys have to you of fadeout screen the after some time fade in I will give you another tip.
    In my tests with plugins that help do parallel maps, GalvLayers is far the best I used. In all terms including performance.
    But if you want to stick with tdp bind pictures, I strong advise you to go into this site and reduce the file size in MB with him.
    https://tinypng.com
    Also, maybe orange overlay can cause some conflict?