Parallax Mapping Art Inquiry

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by rpgdreamer, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rpgdreamer

rpgdreamer His Royal Highness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello, everyone!

I'll be making my second game, and I would like to give parallax mapping a spin. I have watched some tutorials, but all I have seen are people creating maps using premade patterns (such as already created trees and flowers) in order to create the map, and then making two separate layers for the ground textures and then the overlay.

My question is: using the same technique, is it possible to draw your own map? I don't see how it would be any different, but I want to do my own map instead of using premade parallax mapping tiles. 

I hope this was worded clearly, and I also hope anyone can answer my question!

IamGilgamesh likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the only difference is the amount of work required.

People use existing tiles as shortcuts to not have to draw every single pixel themselves, and because you still need to comply to the grid for movement (so existing tiles automatically fit). If you want to draw everything yourself, you can do that - it just takes a lot longer, and unless you're a really good artist I wouldn't recommend starting with that.

3. rpgdreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It is fine if it takes a lot longer! The game is going to be very short and take place inside of a house entirely, so there wouldn't be a need to make that many maps. And I also want to work on my own drawing skills a bit, so this is a great way to test out both how to do the mapping as well as digital drawing practice for myself in general. But yes! This is good to hear. I had a feeling that could be done just fine, but I wanted to go ahead and make sure.

Thank you for your help!

IamGilgamesh likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then just make sure the image program you use has a way to display the gridlines for the map (32x32 pixels for VXA), because you still need to follow that grid for passability, and it would look bad if for example the doorways end up half of one tile and half of the other (the player can go only on the full grid)

Dreadshadow likes this.
  5. rpgdreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That makes perfect sense! Yes, I'll be using photoshop and I've used the grid for other projects a couple of times. I'll have a lot of testing to do, hahaha. Good advice!

IamGilgamesh likes this.
  6. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's like what @Andar told you.

The whole picture should be divided by 32 leaving 0 as a result.

That means it can be divided perfectly into 32x32 tiles.

So a 320x320 picture can be a 10x10 tiles map.

This is very important since you will have to set  X or O passability later on for the character to collide with obstacles.

Thus since you got that figured out, the "imaginary" tiles can contain whatever you wanna draw really.

You don't even have to use premade tiles.

7. Nomi

Nomi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I wish you the best of luck...but you should consider the style for your maps. It's quite important that the charakters and such also fit to the environment.

Unless you want to draw them yourself 2.

8. rpgdreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah... I mean, I would love to try out parallaxing using other people's parallax tile art and see if it's something that I like first before moving on and drawing them myself, but it also comes down to the fact that most of them cost money I'm not really wanting to spend for a free-to-play game. Though, I thnk I remember seeing a tutorial where they used normal tiles for patterns to lay down on the map they made in photoshop? I'm not entirely sure.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    any tileset can be used that way in parallax mapping. There are some tiles that can only be used in parallax mapping because their pictures do not conform to the tilesheet formats, but just the fact that something is in tilesheet format does not prevent it from being used in a parallax map. You just have to export the tilesheet to a folder you know with the resource manager and then copy it from there.

10. rpgdreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ohhhh, okay! Yeah, the tutorial I watched has already preset their patterns, but I recognized them from the standard tilesets in Ace, so I was just confused about how they were using them for parallax mapping. But that makes absolute sense, thank you.

11. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been thinking of drawing my own graphics like this as well. Coloring them once digitized but to standards that I'm satisfied with is a whole other conversation entirely, unfortunately.