Parallax Mapping Help

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by TheAspieFox, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAspieFox

TheAspieFox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    FOR RPG MAKER MV:

So, I've been trying to do Parallax mapping lately because I'm tired of having static maps and such for my game, however, nothing I'm doing is working... 

All of the tutorials I see say "Just save the map as an image file and edit it that way" or "take a screencap and crop it down to the map area in the photo editor program!" I'm using GIMP, by the way.

Anyway, I do this, and the tile sizes, scaling, and what all else is just... wrong. I set my grid to 48x48 but there's always a whole collumn of grid squares half on the map edges and half not there. I use my calculator, right? I'm thinking here "Maybe math is off?".  I tested this with a default map size of 17x13. I save the image/export as image per usual and look at it via my computer analyzing its dimensions, which come up as 408x312p -- Which, when divided by 48x48, to break it down as tile sizes, only comes out to 8.5 x 6.625.   What?!   

It makes no sense to me, and is causing me a gigantic headache just trying to get this dimension stuff correct, because as of right now in order to get the correct amount of "tiles" to show up on GIMP's grid, I have to set the grid to 24x24 instead of 48x48, which is half of what it should be and, thus, makes maps I edit be half the size they should be in relation to the character sprites, which is obviously bad news. 

Would I be able to just create a new image file in GIMP with dimensions divisible by 48, like 1200 x 1536p (25x32 map in-game), and just use the "bind pictures to map" plugin? 
    My intent here is to make parallax maps that are relatively big and larger than the standard 17x13 that everyone seems to use in the tutorials... but I also don't know if that's feasible for a game, let alone the fact that I'm having such a basic, yet complex issue.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  2. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Aspie!,

If you're using RPGMaker MV just use the "Orange Mapshot" plugin to take your screenshots and save them (it's a lot easier than doing it manually for larger maps and piecing them together). Also, the reason why people typically work with smaller maps is because layering in parallax mapping can become a bit cumbersome on larger maps - try to keep this in mind! Start with a few small maps, see how you feel - and then move on to bigger maps (you'll save a lot of hair-pulling this way). 

@fallenlorelei has some great parallax tutorials on her Youtube channel as well if you haven't already seen them. 

3. Noctis

Noctis Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Exporting the map as image won't give you the exact map size as far as I know. Just use Orange Mapshot to take a screenshot of the whole map, a lot easier.

Yes, you can. Or you can use Orange Overlay, it's a lot easier to use for parallax maps. But take note that large parallax maps above 100x100 might not load in the game (or is it just me)

4. spacedev

spacedev Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi there! I have a tip if you are still looking for answers.

If you have RMV, then a way to do this is to right click the map that you are making-- and an option should show up saying "Save as Image...". RMV will then let you specify where to save it on your computer. Once you do that, look at the info on the map and multiply the maps width and height by 48. (Eg. If my map is 17x13 then it will become 816x624).

Resize the image you exported to that size, and then your map will be in accurate proportions! But you have one more important step.

In order to have the image bind to the map properly-- include an exclamation mark at the beginning of the file name! I suffered SO MUCH because I didn't add that exclamation mark.

Hope this helps!  :D

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @spacedev, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

By the way - your tip is wrong because of the resizing (that destroys some of the map info) and exactly the reason why everyone else suggested using a mapshot script (which give the output in the correct size from the very beginning)

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.