Parallax Mapping Livestream Interest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tsukitsune, Mar 14, 2014.

?

Would you watch it?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys,

So I've been photoshopping for about 7 years I and found a way to use the knowledge I've learned over the years towards map making in RPG Maker.  So yeah, I parallax map, and I do something not alot do, and that is mix battlebacks into my maps.  I got inspired by Galv's Pirate rush and decided to adapt a similar style he does.

Anyway, I was wondering of potentially livestreaming while making my maps.  It'll help me with immediate feedback, give me a bit of motivation, and more importantly I can teach others how to make similar maps!

My parallax mapping takes a while per map, depending on what type, it can range from 5 hours for a small forest section to 40+ hours to create a village!

So the live streaming sessions could get a bit long sometimes, lasting hours and cover multiple days just for a single map, or maybe I can finish a smaller map in one session, it depends.  So I would like to know, since it could take "potentially" quite a bit of time to create a single map, would anyone be interested in actually watching?

These are some of the maps I've created so you can get a bit of an idea of what you'll be seeing.

Images (Click image to view full resolution)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Creation Process Example (Each frame is roughly 2 hours spent per day, final frame is around 14 hours spent on the final day)

[​IMG]

If enough people are interested, then I'll make this a thing and start livestreaming on certain days that I do the Game Making Drive.  That would be Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday and possibly on weekends (it depends).  It would happen sometime in the evening anywhere between 6:00pm-11:00pm, (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) for the time zone.

So yeah, Is this something anyone would be interested in watching?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  2. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would watch it - here's my unsolicited advice from a few years standing in front of a classroom:

Have a defined, achievable goal for each livestream. Figure it will take twice as long to accomplish as it would without you explaining everything. State the goal at the start. If you get a great idea during the livestream - hey, go ahead and run with it, that's part of the creative process, but if you don't at least start with a plan ahead of time, then more often than not it will tend to ramble on, go longer than planned, people have to drop out and nobody (including you) gets out of it what they could have. It also keeps the 'Why are we doing these specific things?' in the viewers mind [it doesn't hurt to mention that goal now and then, either].  A 'mock-up' finished picture would be great if it can be done ahead of time without adding a ton of work to your schedule: I don't know enough about the process to know if that's feasible or not.

Once you've shown something a couple of times, that's something that can be pre-prepared from then on. Yes, it means people who join 'late in the series' will miss out (and you can review things from time to time if this catches on and you want to keep with it), but the alternative is covering the same road over and over again, which keeps you from covering new ground (and this should be set up to benefit you as much as the people watching).

Teaching is the best way I know to really learn how to do something, so I hope you get enough interest to go with it (if you don't, _pretending_ to teach something is also very effective). Parallax is something I've thought about learning before, but have been put off by my (quite possibly [probably?] incorrect) perception of how many skills you have to bring to the party to even get started.

3. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think alot of people should be interested in this...with the time it will take though, maybe start with some youtube videos to gather interest & explain the finer points?

4. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Mouser

Very helpful advice, thank you!

@Stridah

Hmmm, haven't really thought of doing youtube videos but that wouldn't be such a bad idea either.