Parallax mapping on xp??

glithch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
polish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Ive looked soooo long for a tutorial or something on this but i can only find tutorials for 2003, and the new versions :( I really need to be able to get the effect of paralla maping for my game though. I've tried designing my own tiles but the charm is just not there.
Does anyne have ANY tips or anything? Im super new to all of this so just heads up I may not understand a lot

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A tutorial alone will not help you, you'll need a script to disable the parallax movement of the background.

And I don't know if an parallax or overlay script exists for RMXP, because of the differences in the mapping options.
After all, people began to abuse the parallax option to create maps after the manual layer options with three layers in RMXP were removed and automatic layering on two layers only was introduced by RMVX.
Usually you don't need parallax mapping on RMXP...

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's been a while since I used XP, and I never really got into parallax mapping, but I hope I can still give you somewhere to start :)

I agree with Andar in that I have never felt the need for full parallax mapping on RPG Maker XP. You can quite easily use the fog layer as an overlay for lighting, as seen in this video tutorial by Echo607, and build the actual map in the editor. I would suggest you try that method first, and see if that can already give you the result you want. Even if you decide that it is is not enough for you, having learned how to create overlays will be useful later. If, however, lighting overlays already work well enough for you, you can stop reading here - you won't need to do anything else.

If it turns out that you need more control over the graphics than the editor gives you, you can also use full parallax mapping with only minor scripting in RMXP. Instead of just creating one lighting overlay image in an external image editor, you would create the entire map as two images: one "ground image" for everything below the player, and one "overlay image" for everything above the player. Like with a lighting overlay, you need to make sure that the image size is the same as the map size in pixels. You can also look at Parallax mapping tutorials for other makers to learn how to create the images themselves - only the implementation in the maker will be different. (Basically, stop following the tutorials at the point where the graphics are put into the project folder.)

Inside RMXP, set the ground image as the Panorama graphic and the overlay image as the Fog graphic. (You can change both of them with the Change Map Settings event command, which you will probably know from the lighting overlay. For the fog, make sure Opacity is 255, Blending is Normal, Zoom is 100, and both SX and SY are 0.) You will also need to modify the scripts so that the Panorama graphic stays fixed to the map. To do that, open the Script Editor and click on the Spriteset_Map script. Scroll down to lines 120-122. They should look like this:
Code:
# Update panorama plane
@panorama.ox = $game_map.display_x / 8
@panorama.oy = $game_map.display_y / 8
Change both 8's to 4's, so that it looks like this:
Code:
# Update panorama plane
@panorama.ox = $game_map.display_x / 4
@panorama.oy = $game_map.display_y / 4
(It would be better practice to make that change in an additional script, but I forgot how to do that in RMXP ...)

That should be everything you need. If anything is still unclear to you, feel free to ask!

glithch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
polish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
i know this is a super late reply but thank you both for help! i need paralax mapping because as i said i dont want to use tilesets at all. i actually just ended up just drawing my map and cutting it up into small pieces so it can fit the tileset format and i pasically just... copy and paste it all. and then just set what should be walkable or not. a bit clicking around but at least i dont have to tocuh scripts bc i would mess it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Playing with colour ramps. The first set is the originals, the ones only facing forward in different colour schemes are the new colours.

I present... MAGIC (in progress)

No vaccine till at least spring 2021. Have not seen our parents since Dec 2019. But at least we can phone each other. How is everyone else's situation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vorpal04