Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
So I'm using the QMovement and CollisionMap plugins to have pixel movement in my game, and in order to make that work I want to use parallax maps. But how do you specify areas where the player can go "behind" the scenery? Such as the top part of a tree, or a doorway, etc?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
with parallax mapping you need to have the parallax map underlay and then an overlay pic. there are plugins that allow you to lock pics to the player so the overlay moves as the player moves. the overlay pic is the part of the image that the player can walk "behind"

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Do you happen to know a plugin that's best suited for that?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are several plugins for that, and unfortunately that "best suited" does not depend on the plugin functions (those are usually the same) but on plugin-compatibility with the other plugins you're using.

so basically you can only test them out to see which one works with your other plugins.

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Alright, I'll try some of them out then

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[MOVE]JS Plugin Requests[/MOVE]

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Other Overlay plugins include https://galvs-scripts.com/2015/10/30/mv-layer-graphics/ (I've personally tested this one with QMovement and Collision maps), and https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/fog-and-overlay/

The easiest method to setup a Parallax map is to have a ground layer with nothing that has any collisions set as the actual Parallax. Then a collision layer which is basically a copy of the object layer except you erase any portion of the image you want passable. Then make an object layer above that which is the layer with all the object graphics on it.

I like to make them in a software that supports layers (Photoshop, Krita, Painter) so I can just turn off whatever layers aren't important when saving each of the parallax layers.

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
So what do you usually put on the object layer? I'm new to parallax mapping. And do you need another layer for all the stuff that the player can walk behind?

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The object layer is everything you want the player to be able to even partially walk behind. Technically you can have as many object layers as you want. Just put them above the player so that they can walk behind them. The only layer that the player can hit with that plugin is the collisions layer anyway, everything else is cosmetic. So if the collision layer stops half way behind an object on the object layer, the player will walk half way behind it and be stopped.

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
The object layer is everything you want the player to be able to even partially walk behind. Technically you can have as many object layers as you want. Just put them above the player so that they can walk behind them. The only layer that the player can hit with that plugin is the collisions layer anyway, everything else is cosmetic. So if the collision layer stops half way behind an object on the object layer, the player will walk half way behind it and be stopped.

That first one you linked is really convenient, I like it. Thank you

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah that's the one I prefer since it allows for layers to be deleted during the game. Obviously not useful in this instance, unless you want to do cosmetic changes like weather or times of day, but still nice to have.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Never Forget you've Got a friend, Even you feel your alone, Jesus Christ is there to Love and Be with you when your alone
6000 Plugins for RPG Maker MV, Pixel RPG Icons, & Reboot Pixel Font | RPG Maker News #38

Why not smash a guitar on your foes? Ability to play said guitar not included.
Two NPCs blinking animations in VNMaker and two to go. Some progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rauro