Parallax Mapping Problem

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by evilblades, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilblades

evilblades Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I'm having an odd issue with passability on my parallax maps.  Its likely something simple that I'm gonna want to facepalm myself for not trying, but the fact is that I've spent the last three and a half hours searching google and the forums and I'm at a complete loss for what to do. 

I'm using yami's overlay script and a set of generic passability tiles that I made using photoshop, as I was unable to locate suitable ones in the resource forum.  The X represents non passable tiles and the O represents passable ones.  I followed the instructions I found in the forums as far as putting the star in the first slot, then set the lettered graphics accordingly with another set just above it as blanks with the same passability options so they wouldnt show on the finished map.  I tried this setting the tiles to slots D and E with the same result for both. 

The issue I'm encountering is that when I have the tiles laid out and the hero starting position set, for some reason every tile (including the event tile) is getting set one tile length higher than it should be, causing obvious aesthetic issues (and at this point making me wanna tear my hair out XD) 

The grid on the pic isn't quite lined up with where it is in VX Ace (thanks photoshop), but its close enough to where it should be, and I wanna go imbibe some adult beverages whilst I still have time.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Used Celianna's tileset for the trees and rocks.  The grass and rock wall I did myself.  Have a look and tell me what ya think it might be.

Screenshot.jpg

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like your picture isn't the right size for the map. Count your tiles across and down, and make sure the image itself is 32 times each of those.

3. evilblades

First Language:
    english
    No, thats not the issue.  The dimensions of the map in Ace are 24 x 18.  Multiply each by 32 and ya get 768 x 576, which is the canvas size for the photoshop piece.  That being the case, it should work without the apparent jog in the map, so it has to be something else.  I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I flattened the image as a whole in order to set up the passability without leaving the embellishments as a separate layer.  Could that do it?

*Edit*

If i leave the X and O tiles visible, its pretty apparent whats happening.  The Tiles themselves havent moved, its the whole parallax layer beneath it.  So how does one pin the parallax so it doesn't do that? 

*Edit*

Ok, I got it fixed.  Had to repaste Yanfly's parallax lock script into the map.  Just needed a morning hangover, chipotle burrito and an epic facepalm to figure it out.  ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  4. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    how about a screenie of the editor and one ingame, where we can see the player starting position and where he starts.

You're using Yami's script "Yami Engine Ace - Overlay Mapping" right?

So you're using the ground layer of the switch. It just seems like your dimensions are off like Shaz says. We'd need more info than what you've provided us so far to diagnose this.

5. evilblades

First Language:
    english
    Thanks for the reply, Seita, but I got it handled.  The unfortunate part to taking a screen cap of a parallax is that you can't show motion with it.  As it was, I didnt have the Parallax Lock script set up properly, so it was letting the 'static' background scroll beneath the tile map instead of being locked to the tiles.  Basically it worked just like a parallax should, I'm just enough of a noob not to have caught the cause of the problem.  Unfortunately, most of the tutorials I found were for VX and not Ace, so that particular part was omitted until I found Abaddyn's tutorial.  It still didn't expressly say "go get thus and such script from the master list, then paste this one line of code into the notes section."  I had to wait for the credits to roll to see "Yanfly Parallax Lock" partially because it was the last video I watched, and partially because I'm a slack-ass when it comes to reading the about section on youtube.   I was under the impression that simply adding the whole code into the script editor would provide the desired effect.  Ahh, the pitfalls of trial and error.  But hopefully this topic should help some other noob out there steer clear of this particular problem, and hey, thats one less noob question from me, right?  =)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.