First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I've seen a lot of great mapping with animated water such as these

WTss2.png

WFss.png

ForestSS.png

is there a tutorial for that? Most of tutorial i've seen is just using the default water titles form RPG Maker Map Editor.

P/s: Sorry if I post in wrong place

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Didn't Modern Algebra make a script for parallaxed water in Ace?  Maybe do a search through the Master Script List (link will be in a pinned thread either under RGSS3 Scripts or RGSS3 Script Requests), or on the RMRK forum, which is where I think he originally posted it.

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I made an identical post over a year ago. 

I don't recommend modern algebras script (no offense shaz!). I have used (I think) every parallax mapping script available publicly and this is the best one: 

as for a tutorial, any parallax animation tutorial will do because all water animation is is just literally you controlling (usually) 3 separate layers which change rapidly (just like the rtp does).

the trick is drawing the land above it first and then under that layer putting the water. Takes alittle bit of skill to get the opacity of where the water meets land to look proper. Also you can throw on a foam layer at the edges to give it a realistic look like in those pics. Honestly the best way to learn is by making a lot of miserable maps until you catch on, it was by far the hardest part of parallax (custom) mapping to learn. Feel free to ask any questions 

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No offense taken :)   I try not to use other people's scripts, so I don't know what's out there.  His was the only one that I was sure actually existed.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
thanks Dymdez, but is there a way to draw the edge of water?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
thanks Dymdez, but is there a way to draw the edge of water?

That's a lot like asking how to draw a cloud, or a house, or anything for that matter.  Take a look at a waterfall and pond of mine.

8ZBqPE0.jpg

There's a little bit going on here.  So where do the EDGES come from? I just grab edges from tilesets I own, or even the RTP has as good one, and I shape it (takes a few min) to create the edges.

YRJf6lI.png

You need to make the parts that you want to look above the edge carefully.  This is done by erasing at ~50% opacity either the water or the edging, depending on how you decide to do it.

The last thing is that the white foamy stuff at the edge that shows the connection needs to be animated, too.  There's really no way to explain how to do it, other than just take a look how other people do it and try to copy until you figure it out.

This picture above has water set to a slightly reduced opacity and the waterfall has another animation under it to show it flowing.  Here's a video of it, go to 30 seconds to save time.  Also keep in mind that nothing in this video is in my game anymore since I switched to a commercial project and this is a very old video:

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
 Thanks @Dymdez :D  problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Knayter Please do not quote whole posts to indicate who you are replying to.  It makes it slow to scroll down the page and can be extremely difficult for people accessing this on their phone - especially when the posts contain large images.  If you want to make it clear who you are answering, just use the @username convention as I have done on this post.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Paid material WIP~
EysZO9cVEAEWy9W

This is Alchemy pack.
I decided to add more witch elements.

Now we have wooden props, candles, pots, and potion bottles.
We also want to add herbs, kettles, fireplaces, etc.
First posts! Maybe I can use this update?
Using MV here: can i move blocks around in the event page and i'm just too stupid to do it or does it only look like you should be able to do it and i would always need to cut and paste?
Aba, aba chgb rtb fhz.
Ubp rfg hahz qr snohyvf srpv, cbfg bzarf.
Rtb vhfghf ibyb hg ivtvyb ubp hahz rk yhqb.
Qbarp fvathyvf yhqvb yhqvhf cbgrfg, aba zntvf.

Streaming Anterograde Fantasy, a new game I'm working on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TolomeoSolano